It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Last F-117A flight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Well, it's the end of an era. The last flight of a Lockheed F-117A Nighthawk took place today (11 August 2008). Lt. Col. Dwayne Opella departed from AF Plant 42, Palmdale, California, in Article 831 for a ferry flight to Tonopah Test Range, Tonopah, Nevada, where it will be placed in non-flyable storage.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Are they all going to be kept in unflyable storage? Or will some be kept flyable and "on call" like the SR-71 was when it retired (remember it came back after it's first retirement for a few years.)

Any word if any Nighthawks making it to any of the Air Museums, I need to get pics of this. I had some I too at an air show over 15 years ago give or take, but have since lost them.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I guess Shadowhawk and I are the only ones who care. I'm actually saddened by this. Like the loss of a friend, well not really but I am saddened a bit.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Three structural test articles, five YF-117A full-scale development prototypes, and 59 production F-117A airframes were built.

All surviving YF-117A and F-117A airframes have been retired. Most were placed in storage at Tonopah Test Range. After arrival at TTR, volatile fluids were drained, ejection systems safed, wings removed, and other preparations undertaken for long-term storage. At least five airctraft are stored in each hangar.

Five aircraft are on public display:
YF-117A (780), Nellis AFB, Nevada
YF-117A (781), National Museum of the U.S. Air Force, Ohio
YF-117A (782), Holloman AFB, New Mexico (painted as 816)
YF-117A (783), Blackbird Airpark, Palmdale, California
F-117A (785), AF Plant 42, Palmdale, California (restored using parts of structural test articles 778 and 779)

Seven airframes were written off:
F-117A (785), 20 April 1982, Groom Lake, Nevada (accident)
F-117A (792), 11 July 1986, Bakersfield, California (accident)
F-117A (793), 14 Sep 1997, Baltimore, Maryland (accident)
F-117A (801), 4 August 1992, Alamogordo, New Mexico (accident)
F-117A (806), 27 March 1999, Budjanovci, Yugoslavia (combat loss)
F-117A (815), 14 October 1987, Tonopah, Nevada (accident)
F-117A (822), 10 May 1995, Zuni, New Mexico (accident)

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Shadowhawk,
If you don't mind me asking, where do you get all your wonderful information.

I hope others chime in on the loss of the magnificent bird.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djdoubt03
Shadowhawk,
If you don't mind me asking, where do you get all your wonderful information.

I hope others chime in on the loss of the magnificent bird.

If he told you he would have to kill you. LOL

Keep all the Factual info coming Shadowhawk. ITS GREAT!!!!!!!!

Will most probably see you again in Las Vegas 2009.

F-117 Great plane but its time to move on the newer technology.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
It is truly sad to see them go. I do hope that maybe we could in some far off small chance see one or 2 make it into the heritage flight program? What is more filled with history then the worlds first purpose build stealth plane.

Also what is the Las Vegas meet up that you speak of asjr?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I just wanted to add a sad footnote to this thread.

After all the surviving F-117A aircraft were ferried to Tonopah Test Range for storage, one of the five preproduction YF-117A prototypes remained at Lockheed Martin's Palmdale, California, facility. On 26 August 2008, Article 784 became the first undamaged F-117 to be scrapped. The low-observable edge treaments were removed and the airframe was broken up and crushed by heavy equipment.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
do you mind if i ask what plane will replace the f117-A?
Furthermore ,and i apologise for my ignorance,had been all of them retired or just some specific models of te f-117A?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
1. F-22, F-35, & standoff weapon like SDB, JSOW & JASSM.

2. All of them.

[edit on 30/8/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Any possibility that some aircraft that are "in storage" have actually been given to Israel? With all of the threats that Iran has been making - does anyone else think that the transfer or sale of some airframes is a strong possibility?

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Any possibility that some aircraft that are "in storage" have actually been given to Israel? With all of the threats that Iran has been making - does anyone else think that the transfer or sale of some airframes is a strong possibility?

I doubt it, As I believe it, the F117-A is still highly classified.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

I doubt it, As I believe it, the F117-A is still highly classified.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Wow, I'm glad I ran across this thread. I hadn't known this. I wondered when this would happen. Kind of like knowing the end is near and wondering when a family member would pass away.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I'll chime in that I didn't know this either. Kinda makes me sad.

The F-117... what a plane! To this day it still weirds people out with its crazy, futuristic appearance and its unknown technology, not to mention the fact that it's no bigger than a bird on radar. It was a cornerstone in aviation history, and now it's outdated. Makes you wonder what kind of stuff could be going on at the top end of the military nowadays...

The F-22 was technically designed to replace the F-15, not the F-117. Soon enough we'll have the JSF / F-35, which will be unique in its own right. And I'm definitely an F-22 fan... that is one cool jet. But it's just not the same without those "Stealth Fighters" flying around.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Magnus47

The F-22 was indeed designed to replace the F-15, however when it was modestly redesigned a ground strike capability was added. The F-117 from a current standpoint is/was very limited. It could carry a total of two air to ground weapons, not to mention that it had first generation LO technology and limited sensors.

The F-22 has a much larger air to ground strike capability, especially with the SDB, it is also more survivable and flexible. To put it another way, a single B-2 can deliver close to the same weapons load of two F-117 squadrons combined. It was an old platform with very marginal attack capability, it was very cost prohibitive to maintain for such a specific and limited role. The same thing can be done much more effectively and efficiently with other systems. Not knocking the F-117, just saying it's time has passed.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Alas, my good friend - we'll miss you. What an elegant bird of prey you were - and always will be - in the hearts and minds of thinking men...

A couple of good stories on the Nighthawk (with video and photos), hereand here

Farewell - God Speed...

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Outrageo

elegant? its really very f*ugly - it was built using the best 1970`s technology to do 1 job - defeat the soviet radar of the day to hard kill the highest value targets.

but with those faceted surfaces she sure aint pretty

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I meant aerodynamically elegant, of course. Technically elegant.

Besides, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, no?

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I'm sorry to see them go. I thought that they looked good and always enjoyed watching as they flew over my house. Like the B2, when they fly straight at you, I could see how people mistook them for ufo's.

<<   2 >>

join