It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olympics mens synchronised diving a sham???

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
ANY "sport" where there can be ANY discrepancy in the scoring is not a sport, it's an art form. If a ball goes through a hoop, everyone agrees that's a basket. If a puck goes into a net, everyone agrees that's a goal. If a soccer ball goes into the net, that's a score. If the football crosses the TD line (or fails to cross it in certain instances), that's a score.

Gymnastics a sport? No. Until computers using lasers judge the performance, it's not a sport. Synchronized swimming? Until computers judge the event, it's not a sport. Boxing? Until computers and sensors judge the contact, it's not a sport. Diving? The same. While all of these things take CONSIDERABLE SKILL AND TALENT, they aren't "sports".

The Olympic games ought to be limited to sports. Ones where there is no room for subjective judgment.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Agreed partially, but I must say a swing that misses by a god 1/4 to 1/5 a meter is hard to confuse with contact...

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
That would be British....not english....and yes it was rather strange...but really not enough evidence to backup a claim such as score fixing etc...

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Lethil

Sorry yes British.... And it most certainly was bad enough to put an enquiry in to it...

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Wow, such anti-China sentiments shown here. But here's the thing. Judged events did not start during the Beijing Olympics. Just because it's China who won in gymnastics team, syn diving, you people think there is cheating somewhere. Why wasn't this brought up during the Atlanta Olympics in 1996, perhaps, things would already get rectified before now. Just because China won, and your country didn't. Today, two Americans won in the women gymnast, so the judges were sucking up to the US? Thus they too do not deserve? Syn diving has always been a strong event for China, I am not sure about the men's but for women's it certainly is the case. Check previous records in Olympics and Asian games. I did not see the men's event so I could not comment on that, but the women's team's performance was far better than that of the other participants. Remember thatn Syn diving is about being able to dive as well as being synchronous =.=

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join