It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olympics mens synchronised diving a sham???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Swinggal, why keep repeating your post. I said why your post is rather moot...

And yes I know there is blatant cheating all the time... but there really shouldn't be. Or they should at least do it better than they did...

Perhaps if the other scores wern't so random and the Chinese divers managed to peform their dives well we wouldn't notice. I watched the dives on the news for a second time and watched the slow mo versions.

The Chinese synchronisation was terrible, and so obvious the fact that anybody fell for it surprises me.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by billyjoinedat2k8

Do you really think that will work, I mean yes technology is rapidly improving but how can a computer score...for example: the perfect dive?

And of course...computers can be altered with or hacked.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
It could be programmed to calculate the amount of splash depending on weight etc... And it could also measure how far out of synch. each diver is from his partner... It could be hacked.

But is not as likely between two diving pairs with less that a minute gap between them...

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Not saying they weren't crap. I didn't think they were a good as others either, but they aren't judged after the fact - via slow mo, only by what is seen by the judges at the time.

I don't think people are sucking up to China. What for? USA is always in the top 3, do we favour them? Maybe.

Thing is, it's only sport. Kinda sad that we place so much emphasis on the sporting prowess of people and not those who discover amazing things for humanity. I've never seen a Nobel Prize winner or award winning cancer scientist win million dollar endorsements for Tag Heuer or Nike.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
the same thing happened with the china women sync diving on sunday. their last dive was awful and totally un-sync but they got the highest score of the day and won the gold. the russians were far better. but the russians werent chinese and on home turf. i hate judged events. they arent sports, they are exhibitions

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I know it isn't based on the slow mo, but that only showed how bad they were for longer.

It was plainly obvious from the live showing that China was not as good, yet they won...

People care because the people who really deserve to win don't because underserving teams somehow get the spot.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Wait wait . We couldn't play our national anthem? Uh... why are we there? That's not olympic like. That's a forgery. This is all a fraud, been so for a while now.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by umbr45

Didnt know there was an English team

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
did anyone watch the boxing?
There was a fight between GBR (Murray) and CHINA (Gu Yu)

Questionable judges decisions....

www.iht.com... dging-Complaints.php

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I was more troubled by the gratuitious shots of Daley showering. Did they reaallly have to show that time after time?

The scoring was a little off in one or two of the dives, but for the British sadly it was spot on, they failed to enter the water without splash in every dive and on several occasions there was a difference in rotational speed and distance from each other.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Aussie living in England here - To the OP why don't you grow up mate - how embarrassing can you get. Seriously!

The English are WITHOUT ANY DOUBT the MOST biased, one sided, single eyed sports viewers, commentators and judges on earth.

There is no doubt about the fact - it is a national past time to be completely biased and show undue favouritism.

The ENGLICS as we are now all calling them are just ridiculous - there are 200 countries at these games yet apparently there is only room enough for English performances to be telecast - no matter what the insignificant qualifying round.

We were running a book on how BADLY the young English guy would do after all the usual media beat up and parochial grandstanding - problem was no one would take any thing but a total stuff up - and I work with English people.

Have some respect for the Chinese who have won with dignity - unlike your won country.

The behaviour of the British Media, their Bias is so universally accepted as a global disgrace it is no longer even brought into question - rather it is just universally accepted as the worst on earth -

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
what was up with south africas judge giving everybody but the chinese 4's and 5's for performances that should have earned at least a 7+ in the synchronized swimming?

Seemed a little bit weird.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by zoso28
the same thing happened with the china women sync diving on sunday. their last dive was awful and totally un-sync but they got the highest score of the day and won the gold. the russians were far better. but the russians werent chinese and on home turf. i hate judged events. they arent sports, they are exhibitions

I was gonna post this same thing, that was actually happening throughout all their heats. They would do the slo mo and the commentators would point out everything, the one I noticed was the Chinese were doing a jump with a low degree of difficulty and on the way down were probably a foot off in height level, then the girl on the right moved her hands over her head to dive in well ahead of the one on the left, hardly impressive, I thought it sucked actually, then bam 9.5's and 2 10's. Then the Americans came up totally in sync from top to bottom with a higher degree of difficulty, 8.5's and 1 9.0. I don't get it.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Although none of us like to see anyone 'fixing' or 'robbing' athletes, its always going to happen to the home town boy. I was watching the boxing the other day, and it was a Chinese lad against a Ukranian. The Ukranian slaughtered the Chinese guy and landed so many shots that werent being counted and the Chinese lad was having shots counted that never landed. Winds me up so much wastching someone get robbed whos put in all the effort but its always going to happen.

Just wait until 2012, odds on GB getting our highest medal total of all-time? Bet there will be a few 'iffy' decisions aswell.

Reminds me of when Roy Jones Jr got ROBBED BIG TIME in 88 against the Home town Korean.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by audas

Grow up?
Did I say we wern't biased?
Did I say England should have won?
Was Tom Daley ever good at synchronised jumping? He is the Euro champ for singles...

I said that EVERY team apart from the Chinese was marked down, in no way do I think we should have gained gold, possibly bronze. Germany and Russia should have had the top two spots... And I am not the only one who feels this way. Why are the English sports televised, well you are living in England... of course it will be mainly English teams. Why should I miss an English competitor to watch A Russian competitor?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by 281011

i watched the boxing and the judges scores was horrendous in my opinion murray shouldve got a lot more points even the commentater was a bit shocked

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I missed the diving, but there we go once again. Questinable scoring towards the Chinese. I have no doubt members of other countries have similar issues...

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 281011

Yes I saw it and could not believe my eyes! Murray should have been awarded at least 5 more points while GU YU should not have got more than 9.

Hope to see more of Murray in the future.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Omniscient1

he didnt look very happy after the match either i think he knew he shouldve been awarded more points

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I just saw about 10 seconds of the boxing...and my God if China isn't called up on that one I declare the world blind...

Even the news declared it a controversial victory for the Chinese.....why do we continue to ignore the fact it is much more than controversial...?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join