It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olympics mens synchronised diving a sham???

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Who else saw the mens synchronised diving today?
Who else remembers diving is on of Chinas favourite sports?
Who else saw China win the diving?
Who else thought the scoring was...'dodgy' ?

Well I know I did, every team but China seemed to be scored down, and their scores were rather randomd also.

I will speak mainly of the English team (Being English myself). When they made a mistakes on an easy leveled jump, they still received some relatively high points, yet when they made a much smaller mistake on a higher level jump they received less points...

Almost every jump seemed to contradict with the scores, except the Chinese who consistently received high scores despite actually being one of the worst teams. Even the commentators at one point said they could not believe the scores China was getting since their jumps didn't justify it.

So who else thinks there was more than some fair voting going on?

[edit on 11-8-2008 by umbr45]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by umbr45

Everyone knows that!

What you want to watch is men's synchronized swimming.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Medal Standings Gold Silver Bronze Total
1 ChinaCHN 9 3 2 14
2 KoreaKOR 4 4 8 16
3 United StatesUSA 3 4 5 12
4 ItalyITA 3 3 2 8
5 AustraliaAUS 2 3 5 10

Here are the totals so far......you be the judge

Cant get the spacing posted correctly

[edit on 11-8-2008 by Jeff Riff]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I can't stand the olympics. I cringe every time they come around. Nothing but a bunch of political grandstanding. The sports were out of it a long time ago.I thought the US should drop out last round when there was the petty bs about not being able to play our national anthem.
This is just jollying to be the popular person in the sandbox.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeff Riff

Ah yes, but some things cannot be disputed. In a race, it is very clear who wins. In the diving, the crowd, the commentator and most people I know seem to think something was up with the voting.

Heck I had people who still hate Germans because of WW2 sticking up for them because they were getting scores that seemed unfair.

Edit to give Germans capital G

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeff Riff

It was a bit bizarre how china seems to be getting all the higher scores for not great performances compared to everyone else.

i bet 100% that china gets about 50 more golds more than any other nation and not because theyre necessairly better.

btw ive flagged and starred it.

[edit on 4/20/2008 by billyjoinedat2k8]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I watched it too but the thing is, the judges of all of these types of sports are from various countries. Same with gymnastics, equestrian etc. they are not all from one nation and definatley not the host nation. The judges comprise of people from all the nations competing.

The Chinese will will more medals because whomever hosts a games can afford to enter more athletes - no airfares etc. Was the same in the US. The more athletes that get to go from one nations, the more chance they have of winning more medals.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I'm not neccesarily saying that it was Chinese judges, but who know who spoke to the judges before the comptetition.

The Chinese team constantly got high marks despite huge errors... It was amazing to watch, even the crowd seemed unusally quiet.

Even the commentator said the Chinese marks seemed too high.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by swinggal
I watched it too but the thing is, the judges of all of these types of sports are from various countries. Same with gymnastics, equestrian etc. they are not all from one nation and definatley not the host nation. The judges comprise of people from all the nations competing.

ye but isnt it just a little bit funny that the country hosting just happens to be the best in the world at nearly every different sport being played

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Last night, Bob Costas was interviewing a former gymnast [who I think is the husband of the woman who coaches the US women's gymnastics team] and he said that due to the new scoring system in gymnastics [which was instituted really close to the games] there is the possibility of cheating due the confusion that the system causes [and I feel that he implied that only the Chinese judges really understand it].

I kinda feel like the commentating on NBC is kinda shotty, espeically when the US is going up against a Chinese team/athelete. The commentators almost always say that it's hopeless for the US. I remember last night, when Phelps got his second medal, one of the commentators said, udring the last half of the final leg of that race, "it's over, the US won't win this medal, the French have them."

Whatever happened to the never give up attitude? When I was in high school, if we ever started acting like that when we were still competeing, we'd be done for the next day at practice.

Tom

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Hmm, Intresting.

I think one of the most easy explanations for this it to basically think that all nations are...sucking up to china. I know it is lightly to be 100% false but it seemed to be exactly the same at the Eurovision song contest earlier on in the year.

Britan for god knows how many years haven't won the damn competition. Obviously I cannot just blame this on the voting as of course..the acts we horrendous!

Anyway in Britan we have seen an influx (not sure if spelt right) in the amount of migrant workers from Poland. Anyway, to keep them happy we gave them a highscore at the end, they gave us a measly 2 points (which we probably deserved anyway, we was crap :lol
It shows that obviously we were just voting for Poland just to keep them happy. Its all about politics these days.

Thats what I'm suspecting is happening with the olyimpics. Countries are just going to vote for one another to avid...confrontations, especially with china.

Well thats what I think it might be about, bound to be a pile of horse doo-doo though

starred and flagged btw

[edit on 11-8-2008 by MrMillztar]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MrMillztar

i think you could have a point there about them voting for them just so they like them i mean its definitely happening in the eurovision everyone knows that now and if it can happen there it can happen in the olympics

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by billyjoinedat2k8

Yup,

thats what i was trying to say, basically.

I can't really be bothered with the olympics personally.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I know China isn't good at everything, and they most certainly wern't the best at diving.

I'm saying it appears as if they made the scroes go for them so they won; when in fact the were not the best team by far.

They cant cheat in a race, but when people have to vote??? Well there is no 'clear' winner. So it is harder to se who should win... But I do not think it was CHina, and alot of people agree...

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by umbr45
They cant cheat in a race, but when people have to vote??? Well there is no 'clear' winner. So it is harder to se who should win... But I do not think it was CHina, and alot of people agree...

i certainly agree that they wasnt the best by far

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Thats true, especially about the cheating part. I think they should just scrap the voting and contests which involve voting and just have them as clear races all the time for example keep all the track and field events because they do not involve voting and obviously the events like cycling and marathons because you can not cheat on them either...unless you take short cuts haha

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

im not so sure about scrapping it altogether maybe they could use computers instead of judges that would eliminate the bias

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Agreed, reluctantly. It is unfair on the athletes, and comprises of sme of the best events. But whn blatant cheating is about, all you can do is lose spectacularly...

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Meh, US have 12, China has 14, Not much between then. They aren't good at everything. We (Aussies) blow them away in the swimming pool. The reason they win so many medals is because of sheer numbers AND the fact that China has military style training facilities that pump out athletes - bit like the USSR and GDR used to in the 70s and 80s.

Medal tallies from the past show China have been a driving force at the Olympics for years. I'm pretty proud of Australia for being in the top 10 medal tally since 1992. For a country of only 25 million people, we do very well.

Athens - 2004
1. USA
2. China
3. Russia
4. Australia

Sydney - 2000
1. USA
2. Russia
3. China
4. Australia

Atlanta - 1996
1. USA
2. Russia
3. Germany
4. China

Barcelona- 1992
1. EUN
2. USA
3. Germany
4. China

[edit on 11-8-2008 by swinggal]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I hate judged events - just because there is always bound to be cheating, and yes the host nation always has an advantage for many reasons. The judges are more likely to get away with cheating in their home than at someone else's home and guest judges are more likely to get influenced by the home town, duh.

We all know that other non-Olympic sport matches have advantages in their hometowns and that's why we rotate it back and forth, to insure that when all is said and done it is as equal as possible.

I have to admit though some countries are more likely to cheat than others and everyone knows china will sell you more lead in the paint if you don't check the bucket before you buy it.

In the end, does it really matter that much - I mean after all not all the best athletes are even in the Olympics - just the ones that had the support, time & money.

China's just saying look we have money now - and we can train our people to be as good or better than yours and we can cheat just as well as the rest of you.

The only thing that kind of riles me so far - is they age limits that athletes must be 16 to compete but the Chinese gymnasts clearly have some 12-14 year olds competing.

I think they all cheat a bit and now it's China's turn - big deal.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by verylowfrequency]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join