It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want To Find ATS Members In Large Scale Blackout?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I'm beginning to see the logic behind a secret handshake
Seriously though, what with all the threads on skies "unusually" lighting at night and darkening during the day these last 2 weeks... and ATS downtime. It's made me wonder more about the benefits of at least the concept of a "Pssst... I'm a fellow ATS member and I think so much outside the box, I'm doubting there is a box" signal to one another.

If, and lets think positively, there was a short-term but large scale blackout, it would be comforting to know that this largely thoughtful, questioning, peaceful, enlightened, intelligent community wouldn't evaporate at a crucial moment for communication.

On the other hand, as we all may know from experience, not everyone thinks like ATS members and lurkers. The fear of looking outside the box creates odd and occasionally unpleasant reactions from nonATS types. So, we wouldn't want to go around asking strangers willy nilly if they were conspiracy theorists in the hopes of finding each other.

Any ideas of how to keep the ATS network alive without www access?

*Staff Edit - Please do not use all caps in thread titles.

[edit on 8/11/2008 by trusername]

[edit on 8/11/08 by niteboy82]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by trusername

yes - but if I tell you - it won't work

at least - not if I tell you here

but - really interesting idea

wonder what you'll get from this

I have to flag it - I want to see...

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Count me out. Some people at ATS are the very people I never want knowing who I am!

Just sayin'.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   

First of all, you might want to change your title to lower case before the mods do it for you.
Second, you'll be able to recognize other ats members in a blackout. They'll be the ones with the pastiest white skin and the most amount of information and survival skills.

[edit on 8/11/2008 by schrodingers dog]

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
We'll also be the ones mumbling to ourselves "I knew this was going to happen...I knew it..." Over and over again...

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

thanks - I was just wondering how to do that. Do you know? Change the title to lower case I mean. How do I get back to it?

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
We'll also be the ones mumbling to ourselves "I knew this was going to happen...I knew it..." Over and over again...

I believe that a couple of "I told you so"s will be mixed into the mumbling as well.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by trusername

thanks - I was just wondering how to do that. Do you know? Change the title to lower case I mean. How do I get back to it?

I believe a nice mod has already taken care of it.
Next time just push the edit button and you'll be able to change it.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
A frequency would be a good idea.That we could all tune in to and listen for.If am and fm frequencies are down/jammed then carrier wave or morse communications.
But the frequencies will all be monitored by various so maybe not a good idea if you are talking about a war situation but if was a major disaster like an earthquake then it could be a good idea.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Thanks to whoever did the lower casing. And I see I can just edit it like any other post. I'm one of the dimmer enlightened ones.

[edit on 8/11/2008 by trusername]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by tracey ace

And for the less technical - a phrase you could use in conversation or letters.

Or a make a word out of ATS ... atsish (as an adjective?) sounds kind of yiddish?

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Misfit

I was wondering about that, too. How many people would want the opposite. But of course if you're face to face with people, it's much easier to decide how much you want to connect and reveal about yourself. Even if someone gave you the "sign" you could pretend not to pick up on it, if you were uncomfortable.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I don't know. Have you been to the survival board? Those guys are bonkers. The last people you wanna run into in a blackout. They make light by the flash of the muzzle of their guns. They're what you call a "spray and pray" crowd.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Hmm, I'm browsing it... I suppose it's good to be prepared. Still, all things in moderation, including moderation, is my motto. All groups have their reasonable people, befriending a survivalist or 2 might be wise. And permaculture reminds me of survivalism without the edge.

But, the conflict with wanting to be off grid but online, may be as frustrating as as wanting to be online with no grid.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tracey ace

The AM / FM frequency idea reminds me of the 7th Harry Potter book. And it would only reach so far, so you'd need more than one and people who could receive both and relay information to spread info out geographically.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
maybe after this - a thread about surviving the survivalists

meantime - a scarlet A?

somewhere conspicuously inconspicuous

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   

But of course if you're face to face with people, it's much easier to decide how much you want to connect and reveal about yourself.

It's also easier to then decide that you (general) rrrrreally shouldn't have retained an aire of "cyber warrior" and spoke to that other person in such an ill manner on the Internet !!! mmuuaahh !! lol

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Maybe a pre-set meeting spot and time? Say at Noon on the 2nd day into a blackout ATS members meet outside city halls?

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Maybe a pre-set meeting spot and time? Say at Noon on the 2nd day into a blackout ATS members meet outside city halls?

Nope, no good.
That's where the American Thoracic Society meets.

Could get confusing.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Misfit

Yes, it might be useful, if one is the "debating" type, to see how good the memory is of the ATSer you're meeting.

If you've ever looked at the same threads and had differing opinions there is the second layer of anonymity which is whether you reveal your avatar. Of course, there are some "experts" I would hope WOULD reveal their ID.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join