It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Ultimatum to Georgia: Surrender in Abkhazia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Russian Ultimatum to Georgia: Surrender in Abkhazia

www.nytimes.com

GORI, Georgia — Russia issued an ultimatum to Georgian forces on Monday to surrender completely in and around the western pro-Russian separatist enclave of Abkhazia, in a sign that fighting could escalate on a second front in the west of Georgia.

...the ultimatum raised alarms that Russian troops would now push into Georgian territory in the west unchallenged by Georgian troops, which have been tied up in fighting further east near the other pro-Russian separatist enclave of South Ossetia.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Maybe the coalition should have refused to airlift the Georgians in Iraq right into the battle zone. Because unless NATO forces are going to intervene, it would be sending them straight to their deaths battling an overwhelming Russian army.

As the article points out, this puts Washington in a precarious situation. While Russia insists it has no intention of widening the assault to an invasion of Georgia, if Georgia does not surrender, that's exactly what we could see.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

They already have invaded georgia, just seen on sky news that russian troops are now 40km inside georgia in a town called senaki, outside Abkhazia.. The gloves are off now i think..

To be honest i think this is the start of world war 3, hope im wrong..

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Why does everyone keep saying this is WW3???? I dont get it. Are people secretly hoping for this or something? At any rate, WW3 will not start over this LOL. People watch too much TV or movies or something.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Not "everyone" is saying that, PoP. But yeah there is serious concern here that this could escalate if things continue and Russia does invade Georgia completely. Oil interests have a way of dictating what happens in this world.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

WW3, Im just being realistic.. And no i dont want world war3..

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Truther

Well, a lot of people said the same thing about the Iraq/Afghan wars that it would start WW3. Some claim an attack on Iran would do the same. There is a difference between wishing for WW3 as some delusional solution to eradicate the NWO, and being concerned. Let's all try to find some middle ground here.

Georgia, while supplied by the US and Israel is not part of NATO. The US will probably do like it has with so many other countries- supply and support conterfactions and then bail when the SHTF.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Let us just pretend that when three out of five users make a WW3 claim, we did not see either one. The forums are 70% alarmists anyways. That should satisfy everyone.

In any case, Russia is only pushing into separist states, and I am assuming that by this time next year, these territories will have become a part of Russia once again, with border updates and everything. This is my prediction whether the West agrees with it or not. Most of the citizens in those regions apparantley support Russian influence anyways, and we have some hint of South Ossetia at least wanting to reintegrate with Russia once more.

I cant say for sure though with Abkhazia region.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
World War 3 isn't such a far dillusion, although people should be more aware of the conditions upon which such a conflict could escalate. Should American forces engage Russian forces we could have another Cold War on our hands, and this time it may not end all well. Even if WMD are not used the integrity of the UN could fall and the UN itself could collapse like its predecessor.

Even so, American forces engaging Russian forces is a remote possibility. The worst thing at the moment is the pressure mounted upon the UN and the fact that if it does anything drastic we could have a conflict between superpowers, or if it does nothing, it will lose alot of global power.

I for one am not too worried, it is not in Russias interests to conflict with America, and that this war seems rather mistimed and again not in Russias best interests. I'd say the war is a front for something bigger which the RU government is planning/has planned, or perhaps as a diversion from something. That is just my general thinking, trying to get information as a civilian in the midst of war is a terrible thing. =S

Lets just hope Russia doesn't see fit to extend its borders too far or we may see another 'underground' war. =/

P.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I dunno who said Iraq would cause WW3 someones been hittin the bong.

Fact is you have to go toe to toe with another super power for there to be a WW3. This is the first time we have really gotten that close since WW2 that I know of.

No one may do anything about Russia being in Georgia, but the fact is if they attack the US or the US attacks them its WW3 end of story.

Thats why this situation is so important because for the first time IN A LONG TIME, there is a potential for WW3.

Like I said may not happen but the possiblity is enough for me to be concerned about it.

join