It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russians Push Past Separatist Area to Assault Central Georgia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   

www.nytimes.com

TBILISI, Georgia — Russia expanded its attacks on Georgia on Sunday, moving tanks and troops through the separatist enclave of South Ossetia and advancing toward the city of Gori in central Georgia, in its first direct assault on a Georgian city with ground forces during three days of heavy fighting, Georgian officials said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I had hear the Russian Ambassador to the UN saying that Russia was simply responding to push back Georgian troops from Ossetia.

Evidently he spoke too soon.

As troops move into Georgia proper, that excuse is going to require some 'modification.'

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
No comments? I guess this was covered somehow already - but I posted it as soon as I saw the NYT article. Sorry if it was a duplicate.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Its like a big squable to get ATS points, I beat you, no i beat you..

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Truther

why do you think the quility of posts in this area of the forum has gone down?
people rush in to make topics and dont put that much effort into them

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truther
reply to post by Maxmars

Its like a big squable to get ATS points, I beat you, no i beat you..

No, it was more of, how can a thread made three hours earlier be ignored, while two more threads get made, thus making it impossible to carry on a discussion in one place?

Take a look. You think I care about points? I'm not squabbling.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Effort? Its a news post, The read is in the article..

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
reply to post by Truther

why do you think the quility of posts in this area of the forum has gone down?
people rush in to make topics and dont put that much effort into them

Now I'm somehow responsible for the diminishing quality of posts? OK guys, next time I won't post. Nor will I post in any of your threads, because evidently, I have somehow offended you by posting the story before you did.

Mod - close this. I don't need this grief.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Truther

if you read the little pargraph above the submit button in the news
it asks people for their prospective on the news article

before they changed the ATS news thingy only topics where people put effort into were allowed through

reply to post by Maxmars

that wasnt aimed at this topic

sorry about going off topic

[edit on 11-8-2008 by bodrul]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
That Will be Enough

This is a very fluid situation in the region with MANY changes and MANY different sources of news reports, not surprisingly MANY of them are conflicting.

Please refrain from squabbling over who was first who was second, if you see an issue use the alert function to get the staff's attention.

Further Off-Topic and personal posts stop now.

Thank you,

Now back to the topic:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Apologies to everyone. 'Off-topic' is my worst subject.

I suspect that the movement of Russian troops into Georgia proper (which is ironic since Southern Ossetia is supposed to be Georgia proper) would have constituted a major development, one requiring at least some attention from the UN. NATO, or even the EU community. At the time, no one was talking about it.

Actually, when I first heard of this, I figured maybe it was just tactical forward momentum that had carried them beyond Ossetia and they would simply pull back.

But now it seems clear they want to control more of the area than just that.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Byby independent Georgia, too bad you voted for a bunch of hard assed lunatics to represent you, who start wars that they must know they will loose,
bombarding civilians in the middle of the night and then begging for help when they retaliate,what were they thinking or was it the vodka and damned Putin
sticking out his tongue at them ? What a perfect example of criminally insane behaviour..!

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The Georgian president is saying Russia wants a regime change. I think he might be right. Russia now pushing in from another front - it's not an all-out invasion yet, but who knows.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
i read this article, which gives a brief but more informative history of the conflict

www.marketoracle.co.uk...

the key idea here, is that the Anglo-American Israeli bloc
is pushing their way into Georgia in a not-so much disguised 'boxing-in' of Russia...
Keep in mind... the western axis is supporting the dictictorial 'President' of Georgia by giving (bribing) him with military arms and training so that the western axis can have more missile outposts in a NATO chartered nation of Georgia.
The Georgians are trying to nullify the Breakaway republics of South Osetta and Abkhazan...and do a genocide against the Russian populations in these two republics

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

You know, I can't imagine on who's advice the Georgian president carried out the tried an failed concept of deprive parts of your population of basic services like water and electricity. Sounds like an Israeli tactic to me.

It only foments this kind of movement away from the government.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I do not understand how in gods name is ATS.. a place where people should deny ignorance, so full of people who have completely fallen to the russian propaganda. Putin sais something, a few russi fanboys repeat, and all of a sudden it is all fact on ATs and the masses follow.

Wake up people. Russia is doing 1930s Nazi Germany all over again.

Georgia started it? Yes he attacked Ossetia - after Ossetians kept attacking cross the border into Georgia with russian support. It is a carefully planned provocation by putin.

If you doubt who is on the level here and who not, just look at the last events - russian troops are advancing already well into Georgia, and have already taken the Georgian town of Gori. Georgian troops have fallen back to defend their capital as a last ditch effort to save their independence.

russians are just annexing an independent country and the world is just going to sit by and do nothing. and most of ATs is applauding. you really make me sick.

go on, trash me now, i dont give a #.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by Alphard]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Where the heck is NATO? This is an all out russian power grab. American fighter should be in the air shooting down MIG's. The UN is and always has been useless.

Bush at the games should have punched Putin in the mouth.

The world yet again is gong to let russia take freedom from the land.

The second russia tanks crossed the border or had MIG's in the air, a US carrier group should have been there to shoot them down.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by heliosprime]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I dont think they should be there shooting down Russians, but they sure as hell should do more than object in between coctails at the Bejing Gala

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Alphard

What makes you think we accept the Russian rationale for their invasion? It is commonly accepted that there is a tremendous amount of propaganda being spewed on every angle of this event.

Trouble began long before this 'war' began. The American political machine, in it's usual 'we know best' mentality provided plenty of motivation for this to happen, while ignoring the developments in northern Georgia. Russians, in there usual 'we know best' mentality countered in the typical fashion, by supporting those who found the development repugnant.

This is what happens when the old-timers of both countries opened up the 'cold-war book of fun'. If you think that either side is not at fault you are mistaken. Technically, and morally speaking, this should have been a Georgian affair - start to finish.

Fledgling nations face this kind of ordeal nearly every time the come into existence. It's virtually inevitable. What WAS avoidable was the introduction of the 'international' community and their agendas. Sadly, not driven by a desire for peace, but more so a desire for dominance.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
where is everyone who was claiming that Russia was innocent, and only quelling violence?

If this keeps going, the marching to Israel theory may be correct

new topics

top topics

join