It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Petraeus: US is flying Georgian troops into battle zone

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Petraeus: US is flying Georgian troops into battle zone

www.timesonline.co.uk

US aircraft have started to fly some of Georgia’s 2,000 troops in Iraq back home to join the fight in the breakaway province of South Ossetia, General David Petraeus, the top US commander in Iraq said today.

“The flights are ongoing to redeploy the elements of the Georgian contingent so that they can deal with the security issues in their country,” General Petraeus told The Times in an interview at his office inside Baghdad’s Green Zone.

He said measures were already in place to mitigate the i
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.informationclearinghouse.info

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Now I understand why my friends son was dispatched with several thousand marines to Afghanistan a few weeks ago. His son told him it was a hush hush operation... and now this

"He said measures were already in place to mitigate the impact on operations in Iraq of the sudden departure of the soldiers."

Already in PLACE? You mean they KNEW this was going to happen?

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Also in the Detroit News..

Detroit News Fixed Link

[edit on 11-8-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
your detroit news link is no good. What is going on in detroit that is related to Georgia?

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
...Interesting, Zorgon.

Starred and flagged, sir.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I seriously wonder if this is the situation that gets the US dragged into it. Maybe an "accidental" shoot down of a US plane, or even being viewed by the Russians as aiding the Georgians. I'll be waiting to hear of more news of this, white knuckles and all.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Here was the Det News link.

At the bottom it only makes the well-known fact that the troops were trained by the US

The link it too long to properly post. Try a bit of cut and paste.

www.detnews.com...

l/article?AID=/20080811/NATION/808110343/1020

[edit on 11-8-2008 by Mr Gunter]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
weird. I keep getting a 404 error when I attempt to go to the detroit link.(i even cut and pasted as you suggested) Oh well Im sure there is nothing ground breaking there anyway.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by JesterMan

You are correct in your assumption. Still, it was kind of nice to visit a newspaper from Detroit.

It was good to see the PGA winner as the dominant headline.

Am searching for more confirmation on the flights. My suspicion is that it'll be seen as provocative.

I read on informationdissemination that an American prisoner has been captured. Once again, the source is Russian. Who knows....

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Sorry about that link seems that happens when you get a certain character in the line...

Detroit News Fixed Link

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

"He said measures were already in place to mitigate the impact on operations in Iraq of the sudden departure of the soldiers."

Already in PLACE? You mean they KNEW this was going to happen?

I think what it means is that there were contingency plans in place in the event that US troops had to leave Iraq for deployment in some other crisis, such as this.

I don't think that it means that anyone outside of the Russians had any idea that this was going to happen, only that Ossetia, like hundreds of other locations was a possible flash point that the military had to consider with all the troops in Iraq.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hypntick
I seriously wonder if this is the situation that gets the US dragged into it. Maybe an "accidental" shoot down of a US plane, or even being viewed by the Russians as aiding the Georgians. I'll be waiting to hear of more news of this, white knuckles and all.

Well my problem with this was not that we 'might' jump into the fray... but this part...

A friend of mine at work had his son recentlt graduate from the Marines and he was dispatched with several thousand Marines to Afghanistan. My friend asked him for details and all his son said "I can't tell you dad, it a hush hush operation"

So knowing where I 'hang out' my friend asked me if I had heard anything. I wrote a contact in Australia... what I got back was this...

See the following. There is something big going on – they are losing!
Neither China or India will subscribe to the American induced mayhem.

Russia joins the war in Afghanistan :

The deterioration of the war is undoubtedly a factor behind the shift. (Incidentally, in a similar shift, Washington recently approached China and India also for the dispatch of troops to Afghanistan.) Britain's Telegraph newspaper reported last week on a growing "despair" in Washington over the NATO allies' perceived failings in Afghanistan. The gung-ho attitude - "have-gun-will-travel" - is no more there.
www.atimes.com...

Now they say they were ready with replacement...

and then I just spotted THIS thread

We helped in Iraq - now help us, beg Georgians
www.abovetopsecret.com...

So since the Georgians really were big players for us, how do we now tell them to take a hike?

This is going to get messy...

[edit on 11-8-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Thanks zorgon, that is much better.

It really sucks that this kind of stuff seems to be happening on a daily basis. Maybe I am truly and idiot, but I dont understand why the whole world has the desire to kill. Iraq, Korea, Iran, Russia, what is the deal.
If this is really gonna be WWIII just let me know know so I can blow my own head off and save some face.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Yes Zorgon I know what you mean.
I think it looks a little odd myself.
But the fact is they might have contingency plans in place, for all kinds of allied troops leaving Iraq.There is many different nationality's there helping.
So maybe they make these contingency's when they get there in the first place.
In case they have to leave suddenly for some reason they have others to do there job.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
The U.S. just crossed a line. It has provided transport for troops into a battlefield in a nation that Russia is at war with.

Technically, Russia could delcare war on the U.S.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by crisko]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The US crossed the line in Georgia quite a while back.

on friday AUgust 8th, Georgia began a large scale rocket attack on the Pro russian People. Russia responded with this current counter attack.

In July, the US and Georgia conducted large scale military training on the border. The US has been supporting georgian military with training and materials. I would not be surprised to find out Americans are among some of the dead in Georgia.

Bush and the neocons have been pushing Russia for several years, Russia Pushed back. The neocons were caught with their pants down and peeing into the wind.

Russia is not Iraq or Iran....they will push back hard and fast and overwhelmingly. We truly do have idiots in charge of the USA.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
not only is Russia a sleeping giant -its a giant with a big stick ..with NATO forces over stretched in the middle east Russia could crush Europe...

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by crisko

You've got a point.

But I doubt Russia will. Moscow is calling for an audience with NATO probably to declare their intentions: Keep Georgia out of NATO or we'll stay in Georgia.

Russia is, apparently, only listening to European capitals and no one else.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
My concern now is what happens if an american plane gets shot down. It doesn't even matter who is behind it. It would be the perfect excuse for the U.S. to move in.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join