It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for other Masons about your ring, facing out or in?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I hope that the title was clear enough.

No great conspiracies afoot here, but a simple question, about the 'proper' wearing of a Blue Lodge ring.

Each GL seems to have a custom which speaks to ('governs' is too strong a term) the direction the ring faces, out or in. In effect, the custom is one of those 'Old Tyler' sort of things.

In my GL (NC), the custom is to wear it facing in. I have been told that it reminds us of our obligations, that we are to 'live within the points of the compass'.

Again, it is a minor question, but as I have
completed my daily tasks for my higher-ranking reptilian overlord (today was keeping down the electric car, tomorrow is making Steve Gutenberg a star)
I thought that I would use my free time wisely and ask a simple question.

Have a fine week, all.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Viking04

I wear my ring facing out. Wore it in at first, but switched it to out after a few weeks, perhaps in part due to how I observed others in my lodge wearing theirs.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I always wear mine facing in. And for some of the reasons you already stated, i.e., to remind me I'm a Mason and to govern myself accordingly.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I wear mine facing in for many of the same reasons. When I first got my ring I wore it facing out when another Brother approached me and asked why, I said that, "So everyone would know I was a Mason." He responded by telling me that everyone would know I was a Mason by my actions, not my paraphenalia.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by AugustusMasonicus]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Hello All.

I wear mine with the points facing out. An old Tyler told me once, that as a Past Master, I would be ok wearing the points out ,as that is the view of the S+C from the East ,and aside from the duties I owe to society, it would remind me of the duties I owe to my lodge.

My 2 cents worth

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The propr way a Mason wears is ring is with the compass up,that denotes the true blue lodge or 3rd degree insignia,to wear it down would signal something completely diffrent to other Masons who know...

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dredz

Bro. Dredz:

I have heard the PM 'view from the East' explanation before. Thanks for adding it. The purpose of the question for me was to develop a sense of what is custom regarding it across the many GL's.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xenobia
The propr way a Mason wears is ring is with the compass up,that denotes the true blue lodge or 3rd degree insignia,to wear it down would signal something completely diffrent to other Masons who know...
hear

Thanks for the response. I would be interested to hear what the 'points out' wear would mean to you. From my travels, (and from living between the two), I have noted that most Brothers from the GL's of South Carolina and Virginia wear points out, again from custom and usage, rather than anything de jure.

Many thanks to the other Brothers who have taken the time to respond, and add to this little gathering of knowledge.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Between habit and research over the years I have never found any jurisdiction that the Grand Constitution or the By-Laws of a Lodge have decreed how to wear the ring.

My father jumped on me when I had the Compass facing in because in his opinion that was hiding who I was.

A Past Master I respect said he wears his ring facing out to proclaim who he is but if he is having a bad day he turns it around to help remind himself about the Vows and what Masonry means.

I personally don't pay attention to which way it faces. Though more often than not it faces out.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I tell the new guys in my lodge that there is only one proper way to wear one's ring:

With pleasure yourself, and honor to the fraternity.

The older PMs actually told me to wear it "points in" to remind me of the importance of brotherly love, relief, and truth. After I was Master of the lodge a few years ago, though, I switched to "points out," just because it made people ask questions.

BTW, I've been lurking here on and off for a long time, and finally decided to wade in. I haven't registered or even picked out a witty nym yet, though.

Tom

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I wear mine facing in, due to the orientation of my hands and such when I took my obligations. It's to remind me, not advertise my membership. Though it does have that effect.

As an aside, I'm really quite surprised the mods haven't banished this to BTS yet... not really conspiracy related, unless one option or the other denotes whether one is a "high-level" Mason, that is.

*curses self for spilling the secret*

... Alright Augustus, I'll get the tide charts... do your worst!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman
... Alright Augustus, I'll get the tide charts... do your worst!

I do not think so my friend, this infraction is far more serious then to warrant a mere 'tidal' persecution. I am thinking more along the lines of feeding your liver to a vulture....

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

I'll get a blowtorch and four fans.

Brother AM, can you bring an extension cord or four?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Wow! Going for the trifecta!

I don't think I have that many cords... but I do keep portable battery operated fans for just such a "wretched" occasion... I'll bring those.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by The Axeman

Better than that, take four 'low-ranking' types after a Hobo supper night (pinto beans with onions and cornbread to those from other parts). Their flatus would provide the fuel as well as wind. No need for electricity or the blowtorch. The simplest answers are often the most elegant.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Well, I don't know about elegant, but effective, anyway.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Back on topic..............I wear my points in facing me to remind me who I am and not for somebody else to judge or speculate who I am. It would appear to me that it is also a matter of personal preference. I don't think the wearer should be challenged or intimidated to wear it one way or another.

PA Blue Lodge

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
When I wear mine (the one I inherited, that is), I wear it north to south, so that the compass and square on the black stone aren't inverted in relation to my hand. That's just the way I'm accustomed to wearing rings that aren't directionally ambiguous.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

My Lodge tradition is the we wear it with points in until you confer your first degree the you turn it around, we do not wait until you are a Past Master. It just denotes the point of view you will see it from now on.

new topics

top topics

join