It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From Agnostic To Atheist

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I've been agnostic since i was about 7 or 8 years old. I was raised christian but quickly rejected this teaching as i saw so many contradictions in the bible even at a young age.

I've discussed religion with a lot of people, by the religious i'm called an atheist, even though i'm an agnostic, by the atheists i'm called a coward because i can't come out as an atheist. Even though i really am an agnostic they say such things.

Recently however i was absolutely attacked by a devout christian, he not only attacked me verbally but ended up attacking me physically and so i made a decision. If this is what a religious believer is, if they physically attack me simply because i disagree with them, then obviously their religion is pointless and rubbish. Their religion preaches peace but they attacked me.

So that's it, i'm an atheist i've decided and all those out their who are religious, well it's your fault. It's the fault of a christian that's driven me to it, physically being attacked caused me to become an atheist.

Maybe you need to learn that peace is the way, not physical assault.

So yes that's it, i'm now an atheist and christians, you have a follower of yours to blaim.

[edit on 10-8-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Sorry darlin'. First of all, many ppl (though not all) use religion as a crutch for their insecurities. Once they have this crutch, it gives them a feeling of superiority that "disguises" the insecurities they feel. They verbally abuse and look down on others. I have seen the anger and need for control in more religious ppl than I have in those who are not. Their judgemental attitude is against everything they claim they were taught.

However, you don't need to base and/or change your belief off the reactions of others. If you felt that being agnostic was right for you, it should not matter what others think or say. Tell em to go to hell and move on. Remember this, you only have one guaranteed shot at life.. They aren't living it for you unless you let them. Decide for yourself what is right for you and give everyone who doesn't agree and verbally attacks you for it the finger.

[edit on 10-8-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

I understand that, but after phsyical assault i'm just tired of it. If god exists and he gave this christian the bible, then why doesn't the christian use that bible? I'm sorry but afte being physiclaly assaulted this christian has convinced me that the bible is a book and nothing more. I liked being agnostic, it made sense, but after reading more and experiencing the utter hatred and ignorance of religious people i am forced to become an atheist.

Worst of all was the people saying that as an agnostic i am the same as an atheist, that's a direct quote. Even though logically agnostic and atheist are different i am called the same. So why not be the same?

This is the fault of religous zealots, they have caused it, maybe if they'd been careful with their debates and not violent my mind would be different.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
...Their religion preaches peace but they attacked me.
...So yes that's it, i'm now an atheist and christians, you have a follower of yours to blaim.

You think like a child.
"You will know them by their fruits". I'm sorry but can you please point out to me where Jesus said "Attack anyone who doesn't believe in God?"

What you are doing is using this incident to justify your decision, and laying the blame on a "Christians".

I know, how about this: Since Stalin and Mao were atheists, and together killed about 100 million people, you want to be a murderer too. After all, you're an atheist right?

Shoe doesn't fit so well when it's on the other foot, does it?

[edit on 10-8-2008 by sir_chancealot]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Yep, you are right, there are so many contradictions in the bible, it's crazy to believe. I find most people either believe because they are scared not to, or they just are easily led sheeple. You know one of God's lambs. LOL

My favorite contradiction is one that George Carlin talks about. Something along the lines of, if you don't believe in God he will throw you into the firey pits of hell, but God loves you. LOL Of course George Carlin said it better.

Most people believe because they want to, and anyone that does not believe is a threat to their fantasy of Santa Claus in the sky.

Sorry you were attacked, I hope you are okay.

[edit on 10-8-2008 by goose]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Nobody can force you to change your beliefs. You may do it based on the reactions of others, but that shows a sign of weakness in what you believed in the first place.

There is a difference btw being atheist and being agnostic. Atheists are just as dogmatic as those who take the monotheistic view. There is no way to prove that either /or is right, so I see being agnostic as being a reasonable solution btw the two....... It is keeping your mind open to the possibility of either/or.

However, ultimately it is your choice what you believe in. There are bullies of all beliefs, cultures, etc and if you are going to change your beliefs based on what they think or do to you rather than because of a legite reason (such as new evidence for a view), then in a way, they won.

[edit on 10-8-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I'm agnostic, but as I get older, I find myself going more atheist. I sort of reluctantly believed in god in the past, but the harder I looked, the less god I found.
If there is a god, he/she/it ain't here.
Perhaps I should pray for proof?

A co-worker started ridiculing me about believing in aliens, while he did a virtual doobie suck 'pfft' "where's the proof"? Come on now!

I said to him, "You believe in god don't you?"

He said he had proof, I said "What proof do you have, and don't say a bible is the proof."
He was already saying, the proof is in the book.

I said I could come up with lots of UFO books.

Then I told him to read Ezekiel (he never read it btw) and come back and tell me it wasn't a UFO. I'm willing to bet the only thing he knows about the bible is the good happy stuff the priest tells his flock. I'm sure he has maybe read a couple paragraphs in the whole book.
One of my turning points toward atheism, was from actually reading the bible.
Funny how that worked

He believes we are the only life in the Universe.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Read David Icke's books. ALL the major religions are "tools to control and enslave". This includes "Satanism". Also, of all the religions what we call "Occult" religions may be the most dangerous because they hold the "key" or knowledge to some how opening up the portals to other dimensions.

Keep in mind the advice your mother gave you as a child. Never open the door to a stranger.

On a personal note: I don't believe in God or "The Devil" however I think what man calls "demons" or "fallen angels" may very well be explained in scientific terms.

Where myths lie also lie ancient truths long forgotten. Possibly David Icke was / is on to something.

Who is to say that beings from another dimension or multiple dimensions do not exist. Who is to say it is impossible that instead of the ape standing upright, gaining speach and insight on another world the dinosaur (reptile) could have evolved into a intellegent being?

Anything is possible even God, but my gut instints tell me we are all a part of the whole, and together make up the isness that man calls God.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot
You think like a child.
"You will know them by their fruits". I'm sorry but can you please point out to me where Jesus said "Attack anyone who doesn't believe in God?"

Err my point is so many christians still attack others, abortion clinics are firebombed and none christians are demonised. So that's the religion.

What you are doing is using this incident to justify your decision, and laying the blame on a "Christians".

Yes i'm afraid i am blaiming a christain becuase before this i honestly was agnostic. Seriously i was, but after being physically assaulted i decided that obviously these peopel are nuts.

I know, how about this: Since Stalin and Mao were atheists, and together killed about 100 million people, you want to be a murderer too. After all, you're an atheist right?

That's doesn't quite work because atheist is just an idea without any basis. You can have murdering atheists and passive atheists. The point of atheist is to decide who you are without a religion. Bad people will do bad things i suppose.

Maybe i should bring up how many people have been kiled int he name of christian faith then shouldi, if you want ot being up those two people.

Shoe doesn't fit so well when it's on the other foot, does it?

[edit on 10-8-2008 by sir_chancealot]

It fits very nicely, crusades my friend, abortion clinic bombings,a nd oh my own personal assault. How does that shoe fit.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Being agnostic doesn't mean that you're unsure if religions are correct or not, it's being unsure about whether god exists or not. You can believe that the religions are wrong and still be agnostic. This guy who attacked you obviously does not have the answers, so you shouldn't let him influence your opinion in any way about something that he doesn't know about.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Curious_Agnostic

My stance was alawys that a god could possibly exist. However after this instance of utter hatred towards myself, i decided god wouldn't allow such a thing. I also got tired of religious people equating agnostics with atheists.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

My stance was alawys that a god could possibly exist. However after this instance of utter hatred towards myself, i decided god wouldn't allow such a thing. I also got tired of religious people equating agnostics with atheists.

A "nice" god seems to be part of the religious teachings. (And mean at the same time, as I think someone pointed out earlier in this thread with the George Carlin thing.) If he exists, it's possible that he may not really give a damn about us. Maybe he's working on a better version of humans on some other planet. We could be a "practice" planet.
He may not feel love or hate. He could also just be some kind of energy force. (I think CERN is looking for that version of god.) He may not even exist anymore. As an agnostic, I could come up with probably all kinds of possibilities for god, since I have no set beliefs. Therefore, I can't conclude that he doesn't exist after seeing somebody religious do something stupid.

As for atheists, they have a set belief. The belief that god doesn't exist. It can be annoying when people don't know the difference, so I see your frustration there.

(edit- clarification)

[edit on 8/10/2008 by Curious_Agnostic]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I am very sorry this happened to you! However I would urge you not to change your beleifs based on that incident, because that means they are winning (even if they didn't actually convert you to their views.)

I have lived long enough to observe that there is NOTHING more dangerous than a person who is starting to doubt their religious beleifs. People in this state will do anything,even resort to physical violence as you found out, to create something that will drown out the uncertainty of their questions.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Just because some christian attacks you doesnt make the existance of any god or gods false. Seems like you are just acting on anger here... you are choosing to now disbelieve 100%, and this because you assumed that god, if he existed would not allow followers to attack others..

You assumed that the god is good, and since he didnt interfere, or causes people to become like the attacker, he cant possibly exist. Well what if god exists and he is evil?

What if the christian god is not real. What if there is another god? or just a force that acts (doesnt know good or evil)

Just because the dude attacked you doesnt make god or gods untrue. It just means that they dont care, are evil or cant interfere. So i wouldn't use the attack as PROOF that there are no gods (or one god).

For these logical reasons I think you should remain agnostic.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I think you would like to consider yourself athiest, however I think the proof of you posting here says differently, you are hoping that someone here can help you make sense of your own spirituality so that you can go back to claiming "im just not sure".

Sadly that isn't going to happen, everyone has to walk their own path, organized religion is a good starting point, but dont forget most have become bogged down through thousands of years of doctrine abuse as tools to manipulate the masses.

This in itself (just like your bad experience) does not invalidate the existence of a supreme creative being (I dont use god because I think in the context of the modern world ideas have become attached to that name which are not necessarily helpful for spiritual development).

The bottom line is dont let other people tell you what to believe in, look at the world around you, go out and learn all you can, and then have the balls to stand up and say what you truly feel, with the knowledge to back it up.

Modern society is very corrupt on many levels, the trick is to not let it drag you down to the muck that most have to wade around in.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   

...That's doesn't quite work because atheist is just an idea without any basis. You can have murdering atheists and passive atheists. The point of atheist is to decide who you are without a religion. Bad people will do bad things i suppose.

Maybe i should bring up how many people have been kiled int he name of christian faith then shouldi, if you want ot being up those two people.

Oh, so the act of a single christian should result in the judgment of every christian everywhere, but atheists are all "individuals"? Do you enjoy your hypocrisy?

Yes, please do. Add up the number ALL THE PEOPLE EVER KILLED IN THE NAME OF CHRIST! List them here (not the individuals, but the aggregate numbers). I will start replying when you get past 100,000,000.

I think I'll be waiting a while.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   

...That's doesn't quite work because atheist is just an idea without any basis. You can have murdering atheists and passive atheists. The point of atheist is to decide who you are without a religion. Bad people will do bad things i suppose.

Oh, so the act of a single christian should result in the judgment of every christian everywhere, but atheists are all "individuals"? Do you enjoy your hypocrisy?

Yes, please do. Add up the number ALL THE PEOPLE EVER KILLED IN THE NAME OF CHRIST! List them here (not the individuals, but the aggregate numbers). I will start replying when you get past 100,000,000.

I think I'll be waiting a while.

ALL THE PEOPLE EVER KILLED IN THE NAME OF CHRIST?

Please explain this. It seems to me that, from your entire post, that you are a christian.
To me, you are saying to add up all of the people who have been killed in the name of christ.
What about all the people that do kill using the name of christ as a justification for outright murder?

I prefer not to use so many words to classify myself, but if I had to, I would simply choose spiritual.

If you look at sacred geometry, the way things work, and the capacity of the human mind, there is no way that I believe that there is not some supreme being that created all this.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   

My stance was alawys that a god could possibly exist. However after this instance of utter hatred towards myself, i decided god wouldn't allow such a thing.

Sort of petulant and self centered, don't you think? Not to mention immature. If Jews who survived the Holocaust can still manage to believe in god, I think it's obvious that you're just being childish about this.

I also got tired of religious people equating agnostics with atheists.

LOL what certain religious people believe about you has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not god exists. I think what you really decided is that you hate religious zealots, or specifically Christians, not that god is absent in the universe.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   

That is more than a little bit silly. God wouldn't allow some guy to smack YOU. But he allows Hitler to gas millions of Jews - his chosen people no less?

Wow you sure think a lot of yourself.

Of course God allows evil - the world is under Satan power until Jesus returns. The Bible is clear on that.

Christians still make mistakes and sin - if someone assaults you - there are laws and courts. Blame the person that did it.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

GreaT post !! The Peoples Republic of China alone is up to 76,702,000. ALONE add Stalin with around 60,000,000 Pol Pot in Cambodia with over 2 million+ N korea and 100 million is being WAY to generous for the atheists.

This site has the most detailed stats on Democide: :www.hawaii.edu...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join