It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silencers in a survival situation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
In a SHTF scenario, we will all be heading for our "safe zones" but to remain safe and undetected we will need to be as silent as possible. Silencers are the only way to keep from being noticed while hunting for food, unless you trap, or bowhunt. Not everyone will have access to a gunsmith after TSHTF, and not to many can afford to have a gunsmith install one before it does. How many out there know how to make them with minimal modification to the weapon, and in the case of semi-auto's, can make one that doesn't change the back pressure used to eject the casing?

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AnuubisYeah,I Know How To Make Em And Their Not Hard At All To Mount To Your Weapon Of Choice . I Will u2u And Tell You Were To Find Out How To Make em And The Different Way's To Mount Em .Silencers Are Legal To Own .Many People Don't Realize That . You Have To Fill Out Forms And Pay A $200.00 Fee for the stamp, And Have Any Class 111 FFL Dealer Take Delivery Of It For You And There You Go ! And Your Right , When The SHTF And It Will , We Will Need To Keep A Real Low Profile And Silencers Are A Definite Must Have . You Can Go Online And Find Manufactures That Make Excellent Suppressors And They Will Walk You Thru The Process . Hope That Helps Ya Out Brother .

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
A simple add-on silencer(can type) won't change the back pressure on the weapon at all. The more exotic ported barrel with shroud will but it really won't effect the cyclic action that much unless your using a gas operated action. To really take advantage of a silencer in a hunting/survival scenario, you'll have to gun with a subsonic load for at least a .30 caliber weapon shooting at a 200 grain bullet at under 1040 fps to have a deer/hog capable weapon at ranges under 100 yards. You might get away with a 6.5mm caliber shooting 160 grain bullets on deer/hog but your hunting range will be reduced even further.

Given the drastically reduced power of such loads vs. normal high power cartridges, accurate shot placement become paramount. It's much easier to achieve more accuracy from such cartridges with a bolt action than a semi-auto. I know of one hunter who uses a De Lisle .45 ACP carbine with great effect on all manner of game.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
In a SHTF scenario, we will all be heading for our "safe zones" but to remain safe and undetected we will need to be as silent as possible. Silencers are the only way to keep from being noticed while hunting for food, unless you trap, or bowhunt. Not everyone will have access to a gunsmith after TSHTF, and not to many can afford to have a gunsmith install one before it does. How many out there know how to make them with minimal modification to the weapon, and in the case of semi-auto's, can make one that doesn't change the back pressure used to eject the casing?

*sniff, sniff* Why, do I smell bacon? Yes, I believe I do!

How are you Mr. ATF agent?

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

Ha ha, your a funny man
Would you like me to U2U you my address and place of work so you can come vist me? Maybe we could go hunting or something. Bear season opens in about three weeks.
And i work for a demolition company.

[edit on 10-8-2008 by Anuubis]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SHADOW WALKER

Maybe i should have worded it a little different. I know how to make and install them, i was meaning for this thread to be of help to those that don't. My hobby while i'm not at work (since there are too many gunsmith's here to make a living) is gunsmithing.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by crgintx

Actually it affects it more than you know. That is why the Spec-ops community has to have silencers custom made for the HK USP's that they use.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

The ones for the Special Ops are made to endure conditions no normal shooter would put his weapon through like firing the gun after its been submerged under water. I've done a lot of work with precharged pneumatic airgun silencers and shrouded barrels. One of the biggest reasons that SOF have custom silencers is the negative effects that silencers have on accuracy as well overall firing behavior. I've fired the same ammo from my unmodified Ruger 22/45 as well a supposedly well engineered silenced Ruger Government Model. The Govt shot patterns instead of groups at 25 yards with several different brands of ammo.

Might I suggest some heavy reading? Precision Shooting Magazine has recently published a book on muzzle brakes appropriately called The Accurate Muzzle Brake by Troy Newlon. While some muzzle brakes seem louder to the shooter, many do a great job of sound diffusion for everyone else. A well designed muzzle brake on a normal pressure cartridge will deflect and diffuse the expanding gases away from the intended target in essence creating an open silencer. Muzzle brakes are illegal for hunting rifles in several states.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
It's been determined the topic being discussed in this thread (personal manufacture of 'suppressors'), falls under section

2e.) Illegal Activity: Discussion of illegal activities; of the ATS Terms & Conditions .

Thread Closed

new topics

top topics

join