It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright blue light in the night sky

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I just read this thread here by Axzion and thought I would add something I experienced last night with my girlfriend and family.

It was around 11:30pm and we were watching The Matador on BBC one, my sofa faces towards our patio door and the tv is to the left of it, suddenly outside I saw a huge blueish white flash of light that lasted about the same time it takes to blink. My family were also watching the film but they were sat on a sofa facing the wall with the patio door on their left so they missed it. I instantly shouted did you see that huge flash of light in the sky and my girlfriend turned to me and said yes but she thought she was just imagining it. I ran upstairs to get a better look at the sky there were only a few clouds so I dismissed it being a one off display of sheet lightning.

I thought against posting here thinking it would have been something trivial and mundane that caused it but after reading Axzion's post I've changed my mind. It is almost the exact opposite of what happened to him but opposites are often related.

A few other details, the patio door faces true north and using a protractor and a tree which was slightly below the flash I would say it was at 15° in relation to the ground. The tree is slightly over 150 metres away from my house, and the house is in Northampton, UK.

Is there anyway I can use this information to pinpoint it on a star map or something.

Anyone else see something like this in the UK at around 11:30pm?

[edit on 10-8-2008 by -Klaus-]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I have observed a bright blue streak of light like you described twice in the last week from my backyard.

It appeared like a shooting or falling star would be only was more like a flare.

It was in the same place two different nights, which was strange, and yes it was very fast, you would miss it if you blinked!

I live in the middle of the USA.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I saw nothing here in Evesham, Worcestershire. And a look at the radar for that time shows there were definitely no thunderstorms around that might have been responsible; I can pretty confidently rule out lightning of any sort.

We are in the period of Perseid meteors though, so a fireball can't be ruled out

[edit on 10-8-2008 by Essan]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I've seen many shooting stars and it was huge in comparison, almost like a blue electrical explosion but in the sky, shooting stars are like a little streak of light.

If you imagine sitting about 3 metres from a window it occupied a space about the samesize as a 15" laptop screen on the window. How that relates to the actual size of the event I can not tell as I was unable to gauge how far away it was, I know it was further than 150 metres away but from there it could have anything from 150 metres to hundreds of kilometres.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
This is strange, I live in Leeds, and my room faces south, but my sister last night claimed she saw a flash in the sky...

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
The Perseids meteor shower was peaking this weekend , just FYI . We go out and watch em every year if we can . Sounds exactly lilke what we see ( That looks like a strange phrase written down! ).

Link to Meteor Shower Dates

Edit to correct meteor shower name

[edit on 8/10/2008 by mrbenn]

[edit on 8/10/2008 by mrbenn]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Hey Mr Benn just wandering, how large it would appear in the night sky and to the anonymous poster if your still reading any more info on where your sister was facing?

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
i live in northwest ohio, and i saw a bright blue flash of light on tuesday (aug. 5th) around 11pm. my family and i were having a bonfire, and there were 4 of us that saw it. we are all still wondering what it could be.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
They're not that big usually , they're just shootin stars , streaks of white light in the North East sky after midnight . Quite low down towards the horizon . If you use an online stellarium to find out where Perseid is in relation to your location you will know which way to look . Last year we were just leaving the field and a whole cloud directly above us just lit up whitish green - it was quite scary but I assume that one entered the atmosphere right above us ! Iwould definitely go out and have a look - I think its the 12th they peak this year - TONIGHT AFTER MIDNIGHT woo!

Edit to bolden location

[edit on 8/11/2008 by mrbenn]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I saw the same thing!!!

I was just getting out of my car and locking the door when there was a big, light-blue flash. The only way I could describe it was like the flash from a camera but obviously much brighter.

Lightening is a possibility but the skies were relatively clear and there was no sign of any stormy weather.

I'm in Lancashire, UK btw.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
What direction where you facing when you saw the flash? It was huge so I wouldn't be suprised if other people saw it?

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
lol. also saw a bright falsh of light. it was blue. i really dident git a good look at it. just saw it in the corner of my eye. i dident pay any attention too it tho. since i just saw it in the corner of my eye i tohught na probley nothing. i saw it threw my window upstares. im at usa pa. ha. i whoudner what it could of bin? strang stuff. cant bealive others saw it too o.0 comment maybe? or was it something else?

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread380249/pg1#pid4783682]post by mrbenn[/i am a person who is sceptical about the idea of aliens and other profound things that are netherworldly but there was this 1 time in my life when i was about 15 (4 years ago) it was about 2 in the mornin and i was doing my "nightly free shoppin " if you know what i mean.me and my friend were walking down the street when i noticed a very very large rift in the sky,i could not identify tis as anything ive seen before i honestly thought it was the end of the world the thing in the sky which was enourmous looked exactly like the shape youd make if you put your thumbs tip by tip together and touch both pointing fingers tip by tip.that is the exact shap of this anomalie. it was a dark fire red colour and it looked like it was smouldering(but not moving.)immediatly after noticing it i pointed it out to my friend who did not obviously take the matter seriously, i promped that we go straight to his and stick the news on to see what was going onwhich is what we done after a while of persuation.apparently nothing was happening so we went bak out at about 3 and to my horror,the object had gone,i did try and take pictures of this very strange object but my fone was not capturing it,this is only 1 of many crazy encounters i have had with out of this world things believe me. i do not believe there is alien existance tho..well maybe they do exict some people wud probebly say it is impossible for them not to exist with all the planets and galaxies but to say tat they can cum to earth is to say that they are smarter than we are and if aliens ever were to cum to earth(b4 we get to them)then i am pretty sure that would be the time to worry

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I too saw a bright flash in the sky on the night in question. I live in Edinburgh and was facing north at the time I saw it. At the time it happened I remember thinking it was lightning and waiting a long time for the thunder, but it never came. It was exactly as you describe, a bright blue/white flash that lit up the entire night sky.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
On one occasion - as far as I know not a date of any meteor showers! - my partner and I were out walking the dogs at night and in the southern sky over the welsh hills from where I am the sky lit up behind a cloud . The sky had broken cloud in it so you could see stars between the clouds - again no noise followed - I was spooked but put it down to lightning .

I wonder if because we saw no fork hit the ground the lightning was inside the cloud and 'forked' directly away from us - could this direct the sound away from the ground also ? Just a theory but directional sound is possible .

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
On the night of August 11th from about 11pm til 2am i saw numerous bright streaks across the sky, along with quite a few almost every night for a week before and a few days after. I live in Washington State, USA Some were big and some were small and some (mostly bigger ones) looked like they may have been on fire...

Not sure what it was but im thinking probably the Persoid Meteor showers that happen every year for a few weeks around this time. Everything you are describing sounds like Meteors. its not a phenomenon, and its nothing to worry about. next year around this time you should go outside and watch them.

I watch them just about every year (when its not to cloudy) its my bday present to myself (my bday is august 12th).

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I saw a blue/green flash in the sky... it was an electrical transformer blowing up about 4 blocks away. Saw the power guys out installing a new one the next day.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

I SEEN A BLUE FLASH IN THE SKY 8/1/08 ABOUT 11:30PM. I THOUGHT IT WAS A LIGHTINING FLASH BUT WHEN I TURNED MY HEAD IT WAS A BLUE STREAK SITTING IN THE SKY THERE WERE NO CLOUDS PRESENT AND IT SEEMED TO EVAPORATE LIKE SMOKE IS THIS SIMILAR TO WAT U SAW

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I live in the Texas Panhandle. About 12 am the other night i once again saw this blue ball of light travel below cloud-level. I am not a believer in ufos and such, but i cannot explain these sightings. I know that it wasnt a shooting star because of how low in the sky it was. I dont know the size of this light but to the naked eye as far as how big it looks is about the size of a basketball id say. When the light comes into view it is bright baby blue, and it traveled horizontally. It looked as though it was barely above my apartment complex. As it streaked off it creates a tail im guessing because of the speed it is travelling. As i stated before this is the second time ive seen it. Feel free to debate.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join