It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How celebrities could take a stand - one woman's mad (?) idea....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

that would be cool...good idea

i would want to go to that event...

i think we will all see spacecraft soon enough

(^_*)

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Aw, Nomad, you are such a tease....! I didn't know there were other celebs here....who are they?! I wanna know!

Seriously, this could be a turning point if managed properly, and would allow anyone to talk about their experiences. I hope so!

Cait

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nomadrush

Would you consider raising the idea I've suggested on your radio and/or TV show ? You have alot of listeners and viewers, my thread here on ATS is only going to be read by "X" amount of people. There maybe a few celebrities listening in who find the idea interesting ? Worth a shot I would think and only take up a few minutes of air time........

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I have had oppitunity to get to know a couple of "celebrities" in my lifetime. All that glitters isn't gold! Now I'm not speaking about all celebrities. As always I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule. However the rule is that the people that become celebrities in our society most often do so because of their overwelming need to have attention shead upon them. They are often not "all there". They are often quite "crazy" and self obsessed, and are quite often living in a world of their own making rather then the "shared reality" most of us have to face day to day.

Celebrities in general have little to no creditbility outside teenagers and unstable adults.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
YES!!! Excellent idea...thank you Cosmic Pixie...! Nomad, you have to, you have to, you have to!! *Cait bouncing up and down in her seat...*

We will all buy tickets and it would be a BLAST! Please, oh please make it happen...

And Cosmicpixie looks just like you think she would....very pretty girl....

Cait

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Yes I'd be up for doing that on the show.

If we could get a few celebs who volunteer to come on the TV show, we could go one stage further and spend the whole show discussing the various ways this could go as well as discussing their own experiences and thoughts.

I did ask Rob to come on the TV show, but he isn't ready for that just yet - maybe one day though!

Ross

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Incarnated

I hear what you are saying , but at the same time would suggest that beyond the glamour and the wealth and the glitz and the adulation lies a heart and inside some of those hearts would be an urge, however buried, to perhaps do something that could make a difference. At least in some cases....and so if such an event took place one would hope that the line up would be a bunch of "A" listers for start, and a wide range of age groups too, not just young celebrities. And don't forget that the celebrity angle is perhaps mainly designed to attract attendants/viewers ...if people are a fan of a certain celeb they are unlikely to totally write off their experience and would likely then pay attention a bit more to the "meat" of the event which would be the "ufo conference talk proper".

The celebrity factor is a kind of "bait" if you like, or "supporting act".

Don't forget either that even if a testimony doesn't have a tremendous amount of credibility/weight attached to it, nevertheless it can act as the starting point for deeper research through which alot more can be learnt.

I'm just saying that if a group of them joined forces, what they have to say would make more impact perhaps than just the occasional celebrity saying something "occasionally". Group force and all that....

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by nomadrush

I only found out this evening that he'd done a UFO documentary...pretty brave move. Can't find a link to view the video though, just an audio.
Since then he's a little more reticent then ? Would he go on radio instead ?
Anyway you could think to raise the idea more publicly would be just fantastic Ross. Is there anyone else here on ATS who has useful media outlets or contacts that could consider doing something similar that you could get in touch with ?

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

thankyou for the sweet compliment, I of course picked my best photo though, as a girl does..... LOL

[edit on 10/8/08 by cosmicpixie]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I know Springer, SO and Simon mix in the heady world of celebrities so maybe they can circulate the word? I know they read these posts -so you never know! (they know who the ATS Anonymousers are lol!

I will do what I can from this end, but the celebs have to WANT to do it, we can't force them into it. We can only ask them for their help.

Ross

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

This is true in part but not in the case of ALL celebrities. I know some that are very much not self absorbed and try to do things to help the world in general as well as help the little guy get started.

The question is not can you find Celebrities that are not self absorbed but can you find such personalities that are interested in the UFO phenomenon?

Will they be willing to put their careers on the line to help the cause?

These are the questions that you need to address when trying to put together something of this sort.

If this turns into an actual event I will do what I can to help.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Thanks for that and yes I think it WILL happen, but we need all the help we can get.

I've already said I will do my bit - put the word out on my radio and TV shows, and the TV show is a Saturday night talk programme on Sky Channel 211 so has a good size and growing audience.

What we need now is someone who can get this story into a few newspapers and magazines that the celebs actually read!

Ross

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Guys, guys guys......lets use our heads here.

Do you honestly think that the attention celebrities could bring to this subject would benefit the cause at this time?!? Slow down and think before you want to tune the world into the complete, moronic ignorance that 95% of all the posts in this area are.....think everyone and their mother doing internet searches for UFO's and coming to ATS and sites like GLP, what do you think the general public's first reaction would be? Your right, they would laugh their asses off and realize that their first humorous thought they had when the subject was brought up to them was indeed correct.

Think about it guys. There is a stereotype that UFology has. Its the stereotype that causes everyone to laugh or snicker when you seriously try to bring the subject up in public. Its the stereotype that causes EVERY mainstream news segment to end with the news anchor making a laughable off-hand remark about the subject.......

Until this community can better police itself so we aren't represented by the lowest common denominator, or the loudest sensational idiotic rat...then we really should not encourage the public to get more involved. It might back fire on you. They might come into the subject with an open mind, see all the utter bunk and garbage that clouds every site in the world, then walk away laughing their butts off. Then how long do you think it would take before you could orchestrate the general public into taking a second look? YEARS, like 10-15 YEARS probably. Am I making sense here?!? Am I the only one who understands this?

Its like a movie. You can get the public to come see a movie with great commercials and media hype, but in the end if the movie just flat out sucks, you can forget about getting the budget to make part two. That's Ufology right now.

Do you really want to help Ufology?!? Simple, help clean it up and get rid of the fools that perpetuate the UFO whackjob stereotype before you shine the light of the world in here.

Think about it, because you know I am right.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

I see you're a sweet person and you have good intentions, however you're not being realistic. When dealing with a "celebrity" you're not really dealing with them. You're dealing with their PA people, the people that will hire them for WORK and Money, your dealing their representitives that find employment for said clebrities, and all these people are only conserned with the iconic representation of the charactor that you want to be a warm heart to help.

They might see it as a threat against their next paycheck.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

I think you might be underestimating people a bit. Before anyone got driven to do ufo searches after seeing such an event, the idea is they'll have been sitting and listening to some of the wordld leading researchers and writers in the field. Perhaps we can even get a few military personnel to talk, pilots, astronauts...etc. The testimony will be weighty and not just coming from the celebrities. Such testimony will stick in their mind.
Most people can sort the wheat from the chaff eventually when doing their little investigations. And despite the reams of crap they will read, they will inside their head recall some of the "real" stuff they heard at the event and this would hopefully help to keep them encouraged. People are unlikely to dimsiss the whole subject if interested enough to begin with simply due to some false or flimsy articles/discussion they read.

Like I said, the event would include a FREE programme. This programme will sort some of the wheat from the chaff on their behalf, so they get some decent advice about what books to read, sites to go on, articles to look up, and so on. Someone could write and article for the programme to help explain the problems the field can be riddled with with regards some of the issues you have raised. Once you get interested in this subject, the desire to know as much as possible can bypass any initial cynicism one might feel after reading some dodgy cases.

According to many polls, a rather large percentage , 50% + of the general public is given to believe in this phenomena. I doubt the same amount of the public actually reads much about the subject area though, but an event like this might help encourage more to do so. Out of those that do, an appreciable amount will have enough intelligence to wade through the crap knowing /intuiting there is something precious to be found amidst it.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I'm aware of what you are saying but at the same time it's always good to hope. And even though many will think the idea unlikely to ever happen, you really don't know until you try, and no-one is going to lose anything by trying. It's all a long shot, I know, but worth putting out into the ether "just in case"....

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
We knew global warming was happening for twenty years but anyone who mentioned it were seen as a tree hugging freaks. It only mattered to people when al gore made a movie about it and went on oprah.

Convince her and you convince the world.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
The only problem I see coming is that people would not ''actively'' become open-minded, but more passively.

The kind that says "Yeah Robbie believes in UFO's I do too!" but then stays silent forever until an UFO lands in their back yard.

Either that or they'll be spouting stuff that *insert random UFOlogist* here had said.

Of course this does not necessarily have to be the case but I have the feeling that the kind of impact something like this will have *will* depend on whether they become active or passive believers.

[edit on 11/8/08 by -0mega-]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I think some of you are missing the point here....

It's not about other believing just because a celeb does - it's about the celebs helping bring this to the wider public's attention by their ability to get in the mainstream press and on TV and start a discussion!

Ross

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
That is the main concern unfortunately,
A lot of celebrities wouldn't come forward because it's just to risky for their careers. They need jobs just like the rest of us and when you aren't working (speaking from a performers perspective) you're either broke or depressed, and nobody wants to be either of those.

The entire UFO idea is still seen as kinda loopy by a lot of people and image is something has to be kept up in that business, in order to keep getting work. Often this does, unfortunately, end up as part of the personality.

However, every once in awhile we get somebody like Robbie Williams or Dan Ackroyd who are brave enough to come forward and put all of that on the line to talk about something that really matters to them and Thank God for it.

I think planning events for as early as next year is a little ambitious unless it's late in 2009, but I think it can be done. If they were to contact enough people who they know have experiences, I'm sure Ackroyd knows plenty. Maybe contact people who are just highly interested. Run the gamut, we all know this shouldn't be restricted to celebrities, after all.

Now my curiosity peaks with the question:

What songs would be played?
Might I nominate Life On Mars by David Bowie?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join