It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Head Appologizes Newspapers Over Phone Records

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   

FBI Head Appologizes To Newspapers Over Phone Records

ap.google.com

WASHINGTON (AP) — FBI Director Robert Mueller has apologized to the editors of The Washington Post and The New York Times for improperly obtaining phone records of the newspapers' reporters while investigating terrorism four years ago.

Mueller called Post Executive Editor Leonard Downie Jr. and Times Executive Editor Bill Keller on Friday to express regret that agents did not follow proper procedures in 2004 when they obtained the phone records of a Post reporter and a researcher and two Times reporters. All four were working in Indonesia and writing about Islamic terrorism at the time.

Mueller and other FBI officials told the newspapers that agents obtained the records under a process that allowed them to bypass a grand jury review in emergency cases. The incident came to light through a review by the Justice Department's inspector general of bureau procedures that enabled the FBI to obtain thousands of records from phone companies after the Sept. 11 attacks.

In the case of the newspaper reporters, agents obtained toll phone records — records of incoming and outgoing calls, but not details of conversations — using what are known as "exigent circumstances" letters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-8-2008 by chetinglendalevillage]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Ooops! Our bad!

I really hate the FBI sometimes.

ap.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

"bypass a grand jury review in emergency cases"

this just doesn't sound right, but it is the FBI, so I must be wrong.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Has this story already been posted or is everyone just afraid to leave comments!?

I'm
Pissed! Wire tapping is sooooo lame and the way it was used against it's own citizens is kind of scary. I understand they were writing, I get it, they were out of our country and in Indonesia... they were writing about terrrism, etc.. it just seems so vile and shifty underhanded.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
It was not more than 10-15 minutes after I posted this that the thread boards went down for what appears to have been FOUR hours !!

Can someone tell me if this thread is duplicate information?

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Now that I've seen those WORLD GOES DARK/WORLD GOES LIGHT threads, has any of the MODS noticed this thread was also published even closer the ATS blackout?

Any further info?

Thanks people.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Interesting that an 'apology' suffices.

Here is another potential article title; "Feebees leader soothes inner child of Media muckety-mucks in attempt to resume cherishing their friendship garden"

(sorry everyone, I woke up cynical this morning.)

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I ran into that ATS blackout too...It seems it was just some normal server upkeep according to some of the errors I saw.

Back on topic: Well, when the unlawful Patriot Act was illegally enacted & should have been considered voided as if it never existed & contains a complete disregard for inalienable Rights...What else would you expect?

But from what I've noticed from the greater numbers of people beginning to wake up to the reality of it all, the FBI should be doing more than just apologizing. In truth, events like this should be getting the People to start standing up & calling for a complete overhaul of the government's numerous violations against their Constitutional Oaths of Office & bringing those responsible to Justice under Due Process of Law.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightDStroyer

GREAT avatar.

Yes, if people aren't angry over getting their constitutional rights pounced on - I just really don't know what to say.

Has the constitution fallen out of favor?
Stories like these should be on the top of every American's mind.

top topics

join