It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leavenworth's Underground City

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
In Leavenworth KS people found an underground city.

Source link here

LEAVENWORTH, Kan. -- Some Leavenworth residents have been unknowingly walking around above an underground city, and no one seems to know who created it or why.

I thought this was quite interesting so I wanted to share with you all. I hope you like.

Star

Mod Note: Breaking General News Posting Guidelines- Please Review This Link

And most importantly, the submission must be made via the 'submit' News Button
located on the toolbar at the top of the page.

(included an article quote)

[edit on 22-8-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Very interesting. I would have actually filled this in the ancient an lost civilizations forum on ATS
This is odd.

Windows, doors and narrow paths beneath a title company at South Fourth and Delaware streets lead to storefronts stretching several city blocks and perhaps beyond.

When I first read the title of this thread, I was thinking the penitentiary and was wondering how the prisoners built a city without the guards noticing. However this is even more fascinating. Seeing as how it may have been from the 19th century and no one knew it was there.

I really hope they don't destroy this without thorough examination and documentation of the site. This is a great find Stari, I wonder who built it?

A hidden town below a town. I wonder if there are any more of these hidden complexes around the United States?

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I think that there will be loads more dotted around, maybe even one under me right now. This is a great find, star and flag for you. I'm interested to see if any BTS members find any good history on this.

Fox

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
This hits home for me because I live in the said state.
I am researching this at the moment.

This is just weird.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Hmmmm, Ok this is what I came up with.

Since this is relatively new info there is not too much available yet.

There is an army base in Leavenworth, Fort Leavenworth. It was established around 1827. It seems logical to me that this was an underground part of the base that was sealed off and forgotten about.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I wasn't sure where to put this thread because I don't think it is an ancient civilization. When I think of ancient I think in the lines of thousands of years, not hundreds.

I know the mods will move this thread if they deem it neccessary.

I was really shocked to see this also. I first heard it on my news station and when I came here on ATS to read more on it there was no news about it. So I started my research and came up with that link.

It is very interesting.

Star

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
This is pretty fascinating considering I live in the Leavenworth area, there are many places around Ft. Leavenworth that are no longer used and are pretty old. A friend of mine told me about this today, we are going to try and see if they will give us a tour down there!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
My wild guess is that it's an underground speakeasy city with legal/illegal goods and services for sale.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
For the Anon poster in Leavenworth, take pictures please and join up with ATS and post em here
that would be awesome!

This is a facinating find and I realy would love to see some documentation on this site.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by fishneedh2o

Most likely not a part of the army base. This intersection is too far from the base. It is under a small stretch of our commercial "downtown area". It only spans about four or five blocks from east to west. The main gate of the army base is about 16 blocks north of that area. The non-commercial military buildings are another 10 blocks (or so) north of that gate. There is no connection to anything north of delaware street. I would guess that since prohibition was enforced long before the 1920's in leavenworth, this area was a speakeasy located conveniently close to (just above) the commercial area. Kansas was (off and on) a dry state during the 1800's. I doubt it was used for slavery or fugitives since someone obviously put the money and effort into making commercial storefronts below ground. There is no point in investing that kind of money if there is no profit in return. Not only that The leavenworth downtown area began developing during the late 1850's to early 1860's so the timing doesn't exactly line up.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I believe that this is an underground town where there was drinking and a brothel. There is a similar place in Ellinwood, Kansas.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Having worked at the newspaper in Atchison near Leavenworth, and our company also owned the newspaper IN Leavenworth. True, there are huge secret underground facilities all over the area, to include minimally several missile silos and Cavern systems. One can easily see the silos and venting systems along the Missouri river between Leavenworth and Atchison.

new topics

top topics

join