It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calisthenics (Bodyweight excercises)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I have recently taken weight lifting out of my workout routine (Been lifting for about 4 years now) and started working on a new routine that focuses more on calisthenics.

What I'm wondering is, how can I make my workouts intense and exhausting? I really want to improve my muscular stamina for submission grappling. Anyone know how my program should be set up in order to achieve these goals?

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I would suggest rope climbing and pullups but im no expect

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I think that this is pretty good advise on the subject.

www.content4reprint.com...

But if you’re planning on grappling, you should really get teaching from a jujitsu expert. It’d be a shame to see that pretty face get all messed up though. Ever consider modeling?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Striker122

www.crossfit.com...

Crossfit is your answer for what you need. You will need weights for it but for fighting conditioning, there is probably nothing better.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Circuit training is great and incorporate a medicine ball as well..I stopped lifting because even though I ate healthy and ran 2-4 miles a day I didnt lose much because i loved hitting the weights..I stand 6'3 and weighed 234 lbs when I was lifting after I stopped lifting heavy weight I now weigh 217 and I still eat healthy...and circuit train but due to a lingering symptoms from a head injury I cant run and PT like I used to..Im looking forward to ice skating again and mountain biking

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I have the only answer you need. Check this out www.bodyweightculture.com... The key to bodyweight only training is creativity.

Everyone has this idea that peak physical condition requires a nice gym, this is not so. The amount of movements you can use to challenge your body without external equipment is mindboggling.

Until you have done a Tabata workout with Tuck-jump Burpees you haven't experienced a real conditioning workout.

If you are looking for fight specific conditioning crossfit may not be the best fit. Crossfit is a General Physical Preparedness type of regimen. In order to enhance a specific set of skills, you need sport specific training.

I'm a mixed martial arts fighter/coach and also a personal trainer. If you have any specific questions I can try to help you out, just send me a message.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by Mav3rick]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Thanks for all the advice and links everyone. I'll definitely take a look at them.

Two weeks ago I managed to do 5 handsand push ups. Calisthenics are awesome! Even though I lost about 8 pounds, I've gotten really cut and my stamina went through the roof.

BTW resistor, don't worry that's not me on my avatar. That guy is just one of my favorite K-1 fighters. I'm not that good looking, so I'm not too worried about messing my face up.

Thanks again everyone. I just started learning Brazilian Jiu Jitsu three weeks ago.

If anyone has anymore advice or links, feel free to post. The more the better.

top topics

join