It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian forces performance in South Ossetia conflict

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I'm quite surprised by how events have unfolded in the past 48 hrs. If Russia decided to invade South Ossetia en masse, and also destroy Georgia's offensive capabilities, how come there are still strikes from Georgian Airforce, which is tiny compared to Russian? How come the Goergian runways were not thouroughly bombed in the first few hours? Why weren't the tanks attacked and destroyed from air?

I'm totally puzzled. Either Russian military is not very capable, or something is going on behind the scenes.

[edit on 9-8-2008 by buddhasystem]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Could you please link us to a source that the Georgian air force has any effectiveness.
As I understand it, the Russians now have total air superiority, bombing Georgian positions with impunity.

[edit on 8/9/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   

there have been quite a few georgian tanks destroyed. there is lot of video of them burning in the streets. to georgias benifit though they are a puppet of the US government and i belive we have given them lots of military training and possibly some good equipment. also the fact the US probably put georgia up to this attack means we are probably giving them hidden support.

just my 2 cents.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRepublic

there have been quite a few georgian tanks destroyed. there is lot of video of them burning in the streets.

Look, in Tskhinvali, everyone and their mother in law has an RPG-7 -- that's how the tanks were destroyed. I'm talking about the apparent lack of a well planned an comprehensive air attack. I though Russians had a better tank-killer capability (helicopter and all that).

They did bomb a few of Georgian assets, but didn't do a good job as two apartment buildings were destroyed, with their inhabitants.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   

how do you know their jets havnt blown up some tanks? plus if everyone and their mom has an rpg than maybe they are using airsupport for big targets like military installations. the russian airforce is definatly in operation over georgia right now, that cant be denied.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

how do you know their jets havnt blown up some tanks?

From Russian news channels who quote residents of Tskhinval. Good enough?

Fact is, another dosen tanks were destroyed on the outskirts of the sity today, and again there is no word that this was the work of airforce. If properly done, these tanks wouldn't even make it to the city!

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   

ok fair enough but i had not heard that. the info is being pretty restrained coming out of the area in general. do you have a link i could look at?

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   

ok fair enough but i had not heard that. the info is being pretty restrained coming out of the area in general. do you have a link i could look at?

I don't think you can read or understand spoken Russian, but if you do, let me know and I'll mail you the links.

For a good English source, find Russia Today online, they have a live video channel.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I received photos of the Russian bombing raids not long after they happened. They are just now getting put out in the press. From what they show the attacks were on civilian population centers. Clusters of apartment buildings and shopping districts.

Moscow can't hide their dirty shorts in the information age no more than we can. They sharted and now everyone knows.

Here is a graphic one released earlier. Wounded woman and some blown off limbs next to her at the ruins of an apartment complex.
ap.google.com...

No military targets in the photos released to the public.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Well right now it is difficult to tell what is the work of Russian troops and what is the work of Ossetian militia. It is true that S. Ossetian militia is extensively armed with RPG's. It was said there were a lot of new destroyed Georgian tanks south of Tskhinvalli after a battle supposedly with Russian forces and VDV.

A for the airforce - there is constant news of a sole Georgian Su-25. About 12 hours ago it attacked S. Ossetian armored vehicles on the road between Russia and Tskhinvalli. So far no word if any Russian vehicles were attacked by air. Very weird indeed.

But remember - Georgia planned and started this war. They had the surprise factor and the planning factor on their side. They must have been planning this for many months.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illahee
I received photos of the Russian bombing raids not long after they happened. They are just now getting put out in the press. From what they show the attacks were on civilian population centers. Clusters of apartment buildings and shopping districts.

So far I have seen one bombed house and one bombed apartment building in Gori. Nothing outside Gori. And remember - Georgia isn't releasing pictures of bombed military targets - only bombed civilian tagets. I am sure military infrastructure in Georgia has taken a good hit.

Moscow can't hide their dirty shorts in the information age no more than we can. They sharted and now everyone knows.

I could post a link showing what Georgians did in Tskhinvali. It was an outright massacre. However are pictures are way too graphic, and this is very heavy stuff.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
This pretty much destroys your argument like the georgian military airfield.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
People of the world! You deceive! World mass media conduct propagation of a false information. Russia DID NOT ATTACK Georgia! 07.08.2008 at 22:00 Georgia has attacked South Ossetia. At 3:30 08.08.2008 tanks of the Georgian armies have entered into city Tskhinvali.
Artillery bombardment all the day long proceeded, fights with use of tanks and heavy combat material, both against ossetic armies, and against peace inhabitants were conducted. 2000 civil people already were lost.
The Russian peacemakers have arrived to South Ossetia in the evening 08.08.2008 for settlement of the conflict and prompting of the world in republic and protection of the Russian citizens living on territory of South Ossetia. Georgia has attacked South Ossetia on eve of Olympiad, it is top of cruelty and cynicism.
Proofs and video-materials look on : www.1tvrus.com/ , www.1tv.ru/owa/win/ort6_main.main , www.rian.ru/ , www.vesti.ru/news , news.ntv.ru/ , www.ren-tv.com/ , www.newsru.com/ .We shall tell is not present to WAR!!! NATO and USA ACCEPT ABKHAZIA AND S. OSETIA INDEPENDANCE It is right that attack on Tbilissi can be real. In fact georgia soldiers are capitulating.Kremlin oficial says that NATO and USA representors are ready to accept independance of Abkhazia and Osetia, and won't help Georgia.-

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Wrong. Russia does not bomb shopping districts. In Gori, where Georgian HQ was based and subsequently bombed, some bombs went astray and two (2) buildings were hit.

Moscow can't hide their dirty shorts in the information age no more than we can.

Sadly, the carnage that Georgians perpetrated in Ossetia against civilians, does not receive much coverage in the West, so again you are wrong.

new topics

top topics

join