It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hot air balloon over non restricted area? AREA 51

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Since the vantage point of that mountain where people used to set up telescopes is now off limits, would it be possible to charter a hot air balloon or blimp and hover up high enough to look at the base through a telescope?

Also anyone ever think about a remote control blimp with a video transmitter on it, or even an RC car with a video transmitter?

I know these things have range limitations but the technology is there to deal with cellphones to jump the signal further.

[edit on 9-8-2008 by robwerden]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Legally I think the hot air balloon idea is best, but to use a RC you would have to transcend A-51s boundaries, which would be illegal. And even with a hot air balloon, they would most likely make up a law to refrain someone from doing that. Although it's stationary Google Earth is the best view of A-51.

If you've got the money to try this and the money to fight it in court, which I'm sure you would have to do, please do it for us all
!! With pics of course.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be easier to pay Russia some big bucks to take current photos using their Satillites? Im sure it would be good practice on their part and get paid too.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
If you do get a Hot Air Balloonist to go along most likely when you land you might not be able to post because they would probably find some way to be there and take action.

Do some wifi in the air or drop the film/flash memory out of the balloon for retrieval later.

Good luck!

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by robwerden

Who said the mountain view spot is now restricted? I climbed Tikaboo in June without incident.

You can't legally fly anything over restricted airspace. The airspace is ... well ... restricted. The rule for tethered balloons is more lax. That is, a tethered balloon platform could probably be launched from Hawkeye Hill.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate a moored balloon or kite— (1) Less than 500 feet from the base of any cloud; (2) More than 500 feet above the surface of the earth; (3) From an area where the ground visibility is less than three miles; or (4) Within five miles of the boundary of any airport. (b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to the operation of a balloon or kite below the top of any structure and within 250 feet of it, if that shielded operation does not obscure any lighting on the structure.

Even so, for 500ft you would need to notify Groom Lake of your actions, and I don't have the phone number of the tower. Well, actually I do have the phone number of the tower, but I need access to the DSN.

No person may operate an unshielded moored balloon or kite more than 150 feet above the surface of the earth unless, at least 24 hours before beginning the operation, he gives the following information to the FAA ATC facility that is nearest to the place of intended operation: (a) The names and addresses of the owners and operators. (b) The size of the balloon or the size and weight of the kite. (c) The location of the operation. (d) The height above the surface of the earth at which the balloon or kite is to be operated. (e) The date, time, and duration of the operation.

Now you can fly over the range if ATC instructs you to do so, as per this thread:
baw282

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by robwerden

Cattle can roam near the base. Thus a cow-cam is the way to go. You can also dress up like a cow, though I suggest a bull outfit if you know what I mean.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Pretty sure its restricted airspace, I was reading that even lower class military practices can't even go over the bases airspace.

But I do like the RC car idea, something as simple as that could be the perfect way to get a good clear feed of video till someone on base discovers it, just hope they don't trace where the footage was streaming to... also they would probably do a wide scale search of the locals, obviously it wouldn't be someone trying to capture footage from any other areas...

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I had thought about the rc car thing a few years ago.

A RC car with a disposable cellphone transmitting to a web based operations center would allow remote control via the internet, and video could be streamed to a web server were all could view.

The RC car could be made to look like a rock and could be solar powered.

top topics

join