It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFC 87 Seek and Destroy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   

SPOILER ALERT!

As tonight's event progresses, spoilers may be found in this thread. If you do not wish to find out who won the fights on tonights card, please refer back to this thread at a later date.

Thank you.

Pretty good card. Surprised Chissler doesn't have a thread started.

Tonight's Fight Card:

o Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch
o Roger Huerta vs. Kenny Florian
o Tamdan McCrory vs. Luke Cummo
o Cheick Kongo vs. Dan Evensen
o Demian Maia vs. Jason MacDonald
o Manny Gamburyan vs. Rob Emerson
o Heath Herring vs. Brock Lesnar
o Chris Wilson vs. Steve Bruno
o Ben Saunders vs. Ryan Thomas
o Jon Jones vs. Andre Gusmao

My picks:
GSP (Round 2)
Huerta (JD)
Cummo
Kongo
MacDonald
Gamburyan
Herring

I will prob post some spoilers later on a parallel thread.

[edit on 9-8-2008 by chissler]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Herring?

Herring?

If Lesnar loses tonight, I will post a picture of myself in this thread eating my hat!

My picks for this evening's event... (I'm just going to go with the main card)

• Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch

If this is anything but a complete destruction, I'll be surprised. I think Fitch is going to be his toughest competition in awhile, but I still see a dominating performance by GSP. Fitch is much more dangerous than both Serra & Hughes (at this point in their careers) and I think he can take a beating and keep coming forward. A lot like Griffin did with Rampage. But all that considered, GSP in a dominating fashion.

A late first round stoppage or mid second round.

• Roger Huerta vs. Kenny Florian

I love both of these guys and I hate to see either lose, but I'm going to go with Florian. I'd love to see Huerta win as he is one of my favorite fighters, but when you consider the resume of both fighters.. Huerta has really failed to go up against any real tough competition. Florian at this point is much more proven and has to be considered the favorite. So while I pick Florian to win this fight and I expect him to win, I'll be cheering for Huerta. Go figure.

• Demian Maia vs. Jason MacDonald

After watching Jason MacDonald (a fellow Nova Scotia boy) live at UFC 83 against Joe Doerkson, I will never pick against him. This guy is a machine. He escaped from so many positions that I think most people would have tapped and kept coming that I can not imagine going against him. He may not be the favorite, but I'm going to be cheering for him. I'm really glad to see him make the live card here. (I thought Kongo would have been picked)

• Manny Gamburyan vs. Rob Emerson

Two "TUF" participants that I like. I think Gamburyan might be tougher but I really like Rob Emerson. I might be wrong, but I think Emerson ended up being hampered by an injury on his season? Not certain. I'll take Emerson here. This fight could be a dull one to go to the judges, or it could be an absolute slobber knocker. I'm excited for this match up.

• Heath Herring vs. Brock Lesnar

The difference a half-assed win makes. Herring should have lost to Kongo in his last fight and he barely managed to get the victory. While I do like him.. I think he is going to get destroyed by Lesnar. Lesnar was tearing Frank Mir apart in their fight. He took him to the mat with ease and unleashed a vicious ground and pound. Mir is a smart fighter who took advantage of a rookie to the octagon. Herring doesn't have those skills and will be the victim of a vicious beating for about 20-30 seconds.

If this fight lasts a minute, I'd be shocked.

And remember, if Lesnar loses this fight.. a picture of me eating my hat will be posted.

• posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:37 PM
    link   
    reply to post by chissler

Check out Herring v Erikson:

I see the possibility for a similar strategy on Heath's part. He's cagey. Lesnar is still a relative noob to MMA.

If so, I'll settle for a cupcake hat:

Should be a fun night!

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 01:37 PM
    link   
    Betting odds:

UFC 87 Welterweights
    Luke Cummo
    Tamdan McCrory
    +120

UFC 87 Heavyweights
    Cheick Kongo
    Dan Evensen
    +350

UFC 87 Lightweights
    Manny Gamburyan
    Rob Emerson
    +250

UFC 87 Middleweights
    Damian Maia
    Jason McDonald
    +200

UFC 87 Lightweights.
    Kenny Florian
    Roger Huerta
    +125

UFC 87 Heavyweights
    Brock Lesnar
    Heath Herring
    +200

UFC 87 Welterweights
    Georges St. Pierre
    Jon Fitch
    +260

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:08 PM
    link   
    -I think this fight might go the full 5 rounds and will be a split decision that will go to GSP.
    o Roger Huerta vs. Kenny Florian
    -This is a good match up, but I think Ken Flo will get the W in the 3rd round via TKO strikes.
    o Cheick Kongo vs. Dan Evensen
    -Don't know too much about Dan Evensen, but his record is pretty impressive. Apparently he's a striker. Kongo's ground game has improved dramatically after seeing him take on Herring. Kongo might just get his first UFC submission possibly in the first round.
    o Demian Maia vs. Jason MacDonald
    - This could be a very technical ground match. Although I kind of see The Athlete's physical strength overwhelming Demian. But then again Demian was able to finish of Ed Herman (Who is incredibly powerful) with a triangle choke. Again, could be an exciting and technical match between two great ground fighters. This fight will go Unanimous (A close Unanimous) to MacDonald.
    o Manny Gamburyan vs. Rob Emerson
    -Manny via TKO ground and pound. We'll see though if Emerson has improved his ground game.
    o Heath Herring vs. Brock Lesnar
    -If Heath can manage to keep the fight standing, I see this match going to him, if not, well he's probably in serious trouble. KO via Ground and Pound Round 1 Lesnar.
    o Chris Wilson vs. Steve Bruno
    -I've watched Steve Bruno on Spirit MC a while ago winning most of his fights by KO. I also saw him in the IFL, but he lost there against Bart Palasewski via TKO I believe. Chris Wilson has a pretty good record as well, with wins over Jay Heiron and Rory Markham with a few KO wins in his resume. KO for Wilson Round 2.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:12 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Striker122
    -I think this fight might go the full 5 rounds and will be a split decision that will go to GSP.

Really?

When this goes to the mat, I don't see how fitch defends. I remember watching GSP lay the knees to Serra and I was just cringing every time he made contact.

Whether its on the feet or on the mat, I see utter domination.

GSP given Serra some love after winning the belt...

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:51 PM
    link   
    OK, I'm going out on a limb here...(cough, cough).

Herring by knee-bah.

Swiftly followed by Chissler eating cupcake hat.

Couldn't resist.

Other predictions:
    Joe Rogan will bust a lung shouting 'Rubber guard', 'zombie control', 'crackhead control' and later 'goat's faghina'.

:w:

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 07:17 PM
    link   
    reply to post by chissler

Fitch is a pretty good grappler (Atleast from what I'v seen), so I think if the fight ever went to the ground Jon will probably be able to keep his composure. GSP did murder top grapplers like Hughes and Koscheck, but for some reason I see Fitch being able to keep his composure against GSP. Although Georges will probably still dominate and have good control over him.

Standing up though, you make a point. GSP's stand up is way above Fitch's level (Fitch doesn't have that great of a stand up), so he might have some trouble with that or even catch a good roundhouse kick. But I really don't see this match ever going on the feet. I remember reading somewhere that GSP doesn't like standing up because it's too risky, and anyone can land a luck shot. If you've seen any of GSP's earlier fights and recent ones, you know that almost always, he goes for the takedown.

Now that I think about it, there's no way this match will go to a split decision, EVER.
    I'm still sticking to my 5 round prediction though
    These are just guesses though, so the chances of me being wrong are pretty good.

But, we'll see what happens. MMA is a crazy sport and the chances of the tables being turned are always high.

[edit on 9-8-2008 by Striker122]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 07:38 PM
    link   
    Standing up is too risky? I think Serra would agree with that statement.

I was annoyed with the way Florian was treating GSP in the commentary of his last match with Serra. He was outright insulting him for taking it to the mat, which was obviously the logical strategy for the fight. I like Florian, but I questioned his neutrality in that last fight. With Huerta training with GSP for his fight against Florian, maybe there is something there. ?

Originally posted by Badge01
    Joe Rogan will bust a lung shouting 'Rubber guard', 'zombie control', 'crackhead control' and later 'goat's faghina'.

That's hilarious.

I had to rewind the last pay per view because none of the guys believed me that he said it. I was the only one to catch it and they were all saying there was no way he would have said it.

One helluva cut I would say.. and one odd analogy.

One more hour!

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 07:41 PM
    link   
    MMA doesn't get a whole lot of discussion on the boards, so for any updates or spoilers on tonights event, we'll just update the title and discuss it all here. No sense in having several threads to discuss tonight's event.

Predictions...

Fight of the night? Knock out of the night? Stoppage of the night?

Under card aside, I think GSP/Fitch will take fight of the night. Knock out is going to Brock for a vicious 30 second beat down, and I'll give stoppage of the night to Jason MacDonald.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 08:18 PM
    link   
    Pretty good pre-fight coverage here:

www.sportsnet.ca...

McDonald looks cut; to ribbons; slashed even.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 08:35 PM
    link   
    Seems like Kongo had a solid knock out.

I'm interested in seeing the footage of that fight.

I still think he was the better fighter against Herring a few months back. I don't think he won the fight, but I feel he's the better fighter.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:06 AM
    link   
    Rob Emerson vs. Manny Gamburyan

Predicted Manny.

If you blinked, you missed it.

Hard right hand by Emerson puts Manny down. A short left in the scramble and it's ALL OVER.

Manny looks very upset with himself over the flash knockdown.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:49 AM
    link   
    Kenny Florian v Roger Huerta

Round 1

Florian gets the takedown, and even gets Huerta's back flattening him out, but Huerta escapes

Both men try superman punches

At 1:45 left Huerta gets in a good punch

Florian hopes H will leave openings with his aggression.

First round pretty even but have t give nod to Florian with takedown and back mount

With 10 sec to go Florian lands a good left.

RH's corner - 'he's afraid of your uppercut'.

Round 2:

Kick by florian

Right by Florian

Head kick by Florian partly blocked.

Huerta looking wild, fakes Superman

Huerta almost gets takedown but F escapes

Huerta the aggressor. Can't seem to close the gap - Florian's avoidance good.

Florian gets the back in the scramble off of an attempted kimura - Roger pops out the back they're up again.

Florian still winning the round though it's close.

GREAT sweep by Florian, catches Huerta completely off guard but can't capitalize on it

Good knee by Florian. 1 min left

Huerta stil pressing misses Superman punch.

Locked up against the cage.

Florian looks a little winderd, Huerta still going strong. Huerta know he's in a fight. Body kick by Florian, and a good kick to the body.

Round 3

If he doesn't do something spectacular this round Huerta's lost this fight.

Florian gets a good front kick to under Huerta's chin

Huerta does a strange thing and turns and spits.

Florian on top.

Huerta back to his feet.

Three min left.

Huerta stil stalking

Knee by Florian

Huerta's punches have lost their steam

2:34 min left

Another front kick to under Huerta's chin.

Huerta swinging can't connect.

90 seconds.

Huerta lands right hand.

Knee by Florian

Huerta comes back with a knee

40 seconds.

Huerta slips

Florian lands a right, gets the takedown

Huerta stands up again.

Florian wins it. UD.

[edit on 10-8-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 01:03 AM
    link   
    I'm shocked.

I was correct with GSP, Lesnar, Florian, and Emerson.. only missing on the MacDonald fight. But I can not believe that both GSP and Lesnar went the distance. I still can't believe it.

I was hoping that GSP would get through unscathed and be able to make it to a November card in Montreal for UFC 91 against BJ Penn. The doctors will dictate whether that is a possibility in the coming days.

An excellent card.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 01:37 AM
    link   
    Brock Lesnar V Heath Herring

Dan Miragliotta accidently pokes Heath in the eye during the opening instruction. Durn.

Round 1
    Lesnar throws a quick right and knocks herring down. Herring does a somersault and gets up but Lesnar has him in an arm in guillotine.

Lesnar gets the takedown.

Herring's face is bloodied. Herring complains 'back of the head'. Lesnar smothering him. Big knee to the body of Herring.

Lesnar is composed, methodical.

Staying on Herring's back. Not much action, except occasional punch.

30 seconds. Lesnar has to have 4XL gloves made for him specially his hands are so big.

Crowd is chanting for Lesnar.

Jessee Ventura watching the fight obviously stoked.

Round 2
    Heath's left eye look blackened. Heath tries a whizzer, but Lesnar stuffs it ends up in side control.

Herring needs to cut to 205 because he's getting manhandled at 250.

Herring has no quit in him.

Lesnar gets mount and almost gets back.

Lesnar on top up against the cage. 2:40 left

Herring tries to roll into guard, but still stuck in side control.

Lesnar landing some knees to the body.

Herring has no answer for this. Still stuck in side control.

1:30 left

Herring gets to his knees.

Herring gets up. 1 min left.

Herring takes a knee then another knee which buckes him

Herring ands a knee swings and missed, and they go down.

Round ends
    ----
    Lesnar's won this fight unless he makes a big mistake.

No hat eating for Chissler tonight it seems.

Herring looks OK, though his left eye is black.

Lesnar looks jubilant

Round 3

Big kick by Lesnar

Drives Lesnar up into the cage.

Lesnar has plenty of steam.

Switch and Herring's pressed into the cage, swings and misses and they go down.

Lesnar throws knees to the back of Herring.

3:26 left

Herring trying for a kimura.

Herring rolls to his back but Lesnar gets mount

Herring gets back to his knees in the scramble

Herring is running out of time. 2:35 left.

More knees to the body of Herring.

Herring scrambles and gets to his feet

Herring charges in sloppily and gets taken down.

Herring is game but he's going nowhere.

1:12 left

Lesnar is in back ride, no hooks in.

Herring is almost up but gets rolled and is on his back again. 30 sec lft.

Lesnar gets back again, riding.

Full mount for Lesnar.

Herring escapes but Lesnar taunts him laughing and pointing his finger - not very classy imo.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 01:23 PM
    link   
    SPOILER

Listen, In all the ufc matches I've seen I've never really worried about possible paralysis or death in the ring....until Brock Lesnar last night. That was truly frightening and I found myself flinching with every right hand thrown to his face and every knee to his spine. I wasn't sure if Brock Lesnar was going to be a true fighter in the ufc...that question has been answered.

[edit on 8/10/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:07 PM
    link   
    Wow, can't believe Emerson knocked out Gamburyan in 0:12 seconds! That was like lightning

And Brock, wow! He showed some serious domination.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 09:13 PM
    link   
    I'm disappointed with Brock's little performance after the fight. Complete lack of class on his part.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 09:33 PM
    link   

Originally posted by chissler
    I'm disappointed with Brock's little performance after the fight. Complete lack of class on his part.

Yeah, very 'you can take the man outta the WWE, but you can't...'-esque.

Everyone was commenting on that. The guy is a poor representative, somehow, at least imo.

Hope my recaps helped; amused, etc.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join