It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian jets targeted major oil pipeline-Georgia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   

www.alertnet.org

09 Aug 2008 14:07:00 GMT
Source: Reuters

TBILISI, Aug 9 (Reuters) - Russian fighter jets targeted the the major Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan (BTC) oil pipeline which carries oil to the West from Asia but missed, Georgia's Economic Development Minister Ekaterina Sharashidze said on Saturday. "This clearly shows that Russia has not just targeted Georgian economic outlets but international economic outlets in Georgia," she said at a news briefing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Well, this cant be good.

www.alertnet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
well, it should target those pipelines ... it was the NATO and USA who encouraged Gerogia to attack Ossetia , which has thousands of Russian citizens

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Somethings not right about this, Oil Pipelines aren't exactly easy to miss, especially for a trained pilot.

I'm sorry, but if the Ruskies aimed for that pipeline, it wouldn't be there anymore.

Clearly they were after something nearby.

I'm not defending the Russians, nor the Georgians on this matter, war is a disgusting thing, and it's a shame they can't declare independence from Georgia without bloodshed.
But I'm not about to go underestimating the Russians.

If they wanted that pipeline gone, it would be gone.
It's the separatists who threatened to use the pipeline as a retaliation.

The Baku-Supsa Pipeline runs between Azerbaijan and Turkey through Georgia and is a key provider of energy for the EU and the United States.

Unofficial separatist sources have claimed that if the conflict was protracted they would be prepared to sabotage the pipeline and that would have huge ramifications.

I'm pretty sure Russia knows this would drag NATO into the fight, and hence, aren't about to try to take it out.
The separatists however, aren't exactly well co-ordinated.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Well, I guess the Russians have gone right to the heart of the matter. Commodities are what's at stake and they know it. Let's hope the US doesn't let oil drag us into this mess.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

as much as i regret posting in a topic where the OP only puts in 5 words of effort,

got to agree this is very fishy, Russia has the weapons and training to blow the pipelines sky high. and with ease,

this isnt some 3rd rate pilots they are messing with,
this is prob some bs coming from georgia trying to draw in others to the mess they started with if you dont do this you will also get hurt.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
This just doesn't seem to make sense to me. if Russia takes out this pipeline wouldn't that force NATO to get involved? Russia can't want that.

Got a feeling it's just some propoganda from Georgia.

[edit on 9-8-2008 by drock905]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Exactly, and Russia doesn't want that. They never targeted that pipeline, they were likely after something near it.

It's the separatists who have mentioned sabotaging the pipeline.

Russia knows it would be insane to attack that pipeline. Quite simply, they didn't. And if they did, it would be obliterated right now, they wouldn't have missed, lol.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
No confirmation yet, so we can't be sure. But if they did 'miss', they won't miss again I'm sure. If they hadn't claimed the Arctic and its oil reserves I would be less apt to believe they would be so brazen.

With NATO encroaching on their borders and the missile shield going in they may have had enough and are picking their battles.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

I doubt that NATO will enter into any war with Russia , or even USA , if the pipeline is bombed

yes do expect the silly western govts to make some catcalls , but when it comes to a battle with Russia neither USA/NATO are willing nor do they have the guts to ....

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
i agree i highly doubt the russians missed. oil pipelines are not hard to destroy. the georgians are really making some outrageous claims in this conflict. that and their president was smiling in the video when he was talking about how georgia was just defending themselves. there is alot of disinfo and downright lies coming out of georgias leadership. everything they say i get more suspicious of.

this seems to be a definate lie.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Exactly, and Russia doesn't want that. They never targeted that pipeline, they were likely after something near it.

It's the separatists who have mentioned sabotaging the pipeline.

Russia knows it would be insane to attack that pipeline. Quite simply, they didn't. And if they did, it would be obliterated right now, they wouldn't have missed, lol.

I would like to draw attention to your very acute observation. We have to be VERY careful now, in observing the events as they are 'reported'. While it may be true that the pipeline came under attack we are so prone to immediately disregard an alternative explanation that we could be deceived (easily). The last decades must have taught us to be hypercritical of news, especially when the stakes are high and the sources 'routine'.

This is the time where our paradigm may change, assuming the technology allows civilians and others to report events and images directly from the area (perhaps cell phone cams, etc.) I don't know how likely that is, but it could force a new channel of information. ((Once again provided such capability exists reliably))

We cannot, as observers, be too relaxed in trusting media, which has failed us demonstrably since Hitler's time (if not earlier.) It has blithely led us into cataclysmic confrontations again and again, only to turn out later, to be based on everything from direct manipulation and complicity to exploitation for profit, to downright abandonment of journalistic purpose and utter self-serving incompetence.

The pipeline represents a global strategic target, attacking it would be of global significance. Not only the consumer of Asian oil is affected, the producer is as well.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Sorry, I thought I typed more.

I think its weird because it seems counter productive for Russia to make this an international incident.

That being said, I don't like that everyone seems to be taking Russia's side in this. Its not as if Russia hasn't been provoking Georgia for the last 6 months.

[edit on 9-8-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

yes but it is beneficial for georgia to make this an international incident...

which makes this load of bull (missing a pipeline) make a little more sense.
definatly disinfo to try and rally the world behind georgia.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Independant news being trustworthy?? Ha, you will only get ATS-like whackos who will only turn the phone camera on when a US bomb hits badly. That outlet is more prone to onesidedness than any media. All we have here is pure speculation with a heavy dose of Russian sympathy going on in this and all other threads. If there are any conspiracies afoot in this incident, they won't be unraveled till long after the event.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Wouldn't suprise me one bit if Georgia blows the pipeline themselves to get NATO involved. Does Georgia really have any chance in this war? I think we would all agree they don't.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I think we're in agreement, yes?

There's little chance this news broadcast holds credibility. It seems someone capitalized on an air strike near the pipeline, claiming the target to have been the pipeline itself.

With the war heating up, I can pretty much guarantee you we'll see more disinformation like this from both sides.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by drock905

I'm not sure Georgia would go that far themselves.

Creating a large scale multinational conflict by destroying the pipeline would turn Georgia into one big battlefield.
I don't think the Georgian government is insane enough to try that.

Not to mention, that pipeline ensures (in part) the future stability of Georgia's economy. Again, another reason to make sure that pipeline remains in tact.

It's in the interest of both sides, Russia and Georgia to keep that pipeline in one piece. Only unofficial separatists have expressed an interest in sabotaging the pipeline, I'm quite sure Russia would be looking into talking them out of such an insane action.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SectionEight
Independant news being trustworthy?? Ha, you will only get ATS-like whackos who will only turn the phone camera on when a US bomb hits badly. That outlet is more prone to onesidedness than any media. All we have here is pure speculation with a heavy dose of Russian sympathy going on in this and all other threads. If there are any conspiracies afoot in this incident, they won't be unraveled till long after the event.

This is just as acute as an earlier observation.

It is true that any field imagery delivered will be by those who are attempting to convey a message of their own, thus limiting it to anything that would support a distinctly non-objective scenario.

This is why we always intended for the profession of journalism to step in, to allow an unbiased rendition of reality to be shared with the community. Problem is, you can't trust that anymore either. So, assuming you agree it is not entirely unreasonable to suspect the news may be either a fabrication or based on a fabrication. Where do you go from here?

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The points about disinfo are well taken. My question would be, How do we know who blew it if the rebels or georgia do it themselves? As stated, they are trying to get some help any way they can.

Of course the effect on the price of oil would be the same regardless of who did it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join