It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia declares war

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Georgia declares war

www.radionetherlands.nl

Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili has made a formal declaration of war against Russia. He has also asked the Georgian parliament for permission to proclaim a state of siege. This would increase both his authority and that of the army leaders.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Oh Dear...

I'm beginning to think Mikheil Saakashvili has lost it.
Russia (ironically) still considers this mess to be more of a peace keeper exercise and have only deployed something like 10% of their forces in the area.

www.radionetherlands.nl
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Heres a realy good vid, from Russia Television

This can either calm down, and everything will be fine.

Or Russia is going to push others to get involed because of thier actions...

This is definatly one of the doomsday scenerios that we have feared though...

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero

I dont think so... Russia will easily beat Georgia if they want to. This wont escalate to anything larger in my opinion. This is like the US attacking Afghanistan or some other country who cant fight back.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Hope it leads to a massive WW3. Anything that might get them aliens out of my head would be super.

This Sakashvili dude seems to have some worse issues, though. First, he takes a gamble attacking this South Ossetia, then he starts crying for folks to intervene when it doesn't go his way. This guy looks like a serious psychopath.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Sky News (REU): Georgian National Security Council to request foreign military aid.

The Georgian premier also told CNN that Russia had launched a 'full-scale military invasion' against the country.

Another (big) quick update (Sky/BBC TV): Russia strikes near second disputed province of Abkhazia.

Links to come, hopefully.

[edit on 9-8-2008 by chips]

[edit on 9-8-2008 by chips]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
More links..
CNN - Georgia declares state of war with Russia

Sky - Georgia In State Of War With Russia

This guy must be barking mad.

The Russian 58th army has in excess of 100,000 troops in the area backed up by over 800 aircraft, 800 tanks and 2100 APC's.

I really have no idea what Saakashvili expects the outcome of this will be, his behavior simply does not seem rational in the face of things.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

Originally posted by TKainZero

I dont think so... Russia will easily beat Georgia if they want to. This wont escalate to anything larger in my opinion. This is like the US attacking Afghanistan or some other country who cant fight back.

The problem is, the USA/Nato is going to jump in and back Georgia. Georgia was going to be come a NATO state - and now with Russia's attacks on Georgia, NATO is going to be pissed.

WWIII, here we come.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Absence of Self

This realy is madness...

This could get worse... I hope the West stays out, but if they don't i understand why not...

This could get ugly...

Georgia has the 3rd most Troops in Iraq...

AFTER THE US AND UK!!!

[edit on 8/9/2008 by TKainZero]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Absence of Self
I really have no idea what Saakashvili expects the outcome of this will be, his behavior simply does not seem rational in the face of things.

I dont see any other options really. Russia has attacked and killed civilian targets by air bombing. Any country, weather they can win or not, would declare war on the aggressor.

By the way, here he is requesting a cease fire: Georgia calls for ceasefire in S. Ossetia fighting. Not sure what is going on.

[edit on 9-8-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
The thing is that with regards to NATO and Georgia, even though Georgia wanted to be a NATO member their initial application was rejected because Georgia does not meet the technical requirements.

One of those requirements being that the area must be stable and should have no contested territories. (exactly what South Ossetia and Abkhazian are not).

With regards to externals coming in and getting involved, who in god's name wants to get involved in a full blown military conflict with Russia?

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
This is a minor skirmish - nothing more. Georgia will quickly back down when they realise they have annoyed the Russian bear. The US and NATO would be INSANE to help Georgia in any way militarily. They have nothing to gain and everything to lose. They would also be crushed by Russian military.

Plus, how would the NATO members suddenly be able to logistically provide armaments, troops etc to the region in such a short space of time. Surely there would need to be endless meetings, diplomacy, etc?

World War 3 ?

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Absence of Self

With regards to externals coming in and getting involved, who in god's name wants to get involved in a full blown military conflict with Russia?

the ZOG

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Breaking News on Reuters: Georgian parliament approves decree claring "state of war" for 15 days from Aug 9.

No more info yet.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

I dont see any other options really. Russia has attacked and killed civilian targets by air bombing. Any country, weather they can win or not, would declare war on the aggressor.

Yeah... in RESPONSE to 2 of their planes being shot down without provocation:
www.nytimes.com...
www.nasdaq.com
news.smh.com.au...

How many civilians did the Georgian artillery strikes kill? Thousands.
Apples and friggin' watermelons here.

What did you expect from Russia? The gloves have come off here...
Georgia is mobilising to retake S. Ossetia and Russia is marshalling whatever forces it can in the Caucasus to resist.

S. Ossetia is not a breakaway, it's been autonomously governed with Russian backing since 1991.
The Georgians haven't had any influence in there for years.

Just because the West never gave it full diplomatic recognition doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
The Georgians are desperate for a land grab here because Abkhazia is slowly edging away from their grasp too; so much so their willing to sacrifice the lives of civilians who stand in their way.

They've stirred up a hornet's nest, it's only matter of time before the Hammer comes down on them.

Mod Edit: Fix News link to nasdaq.com

[edit on 8/9/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Oops.

Does anyone know what the legal consequences and potential changes to the situation would arise due to a legal declaration of war?

Are things not now subject to the Rules of War and the Geneva Convention or are the gloves off in the worst possible sense?

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Georgia parliament approves a "state of war"

All this on the same day the US nuked the Japanese in 1945.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Just reported on Russia today:

The Russian secretary of defense reports that the 76th VDV pskov is being deployed to the area.

It appears that the rumor i disregarded yesterday was true.

This is turning into a very large hairball.

Info on them here: 76th VDV, thats about 4000 elite shock troops...

[edit on 9-8-2008 by Absence of Self]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
They've stirred up a hornet's nest, it's only matter of time before the Hammer comes down on them.

Yes, I didnt mean to sound like Russia started the conflict. They didnt.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Wow, i didnt think it would go to all out war.....

The United Nations has been holding an emergency meeting after the Georgian government asked the west for help.

Will they help? That would make things ALOT worse right?

The Georgians are brave to fight, but they wouldnt stand a chance on their own, havent we already helped them with state of the art equipment?

This could escalate into something big, or the west will leave them to their fate, what do you think will happen?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join