It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese man kills U.S. tourist in Beijing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Chinese man kills U.S. tourist in Beijing

www.msnbc.msn.com

BEIJING - A Chinese man attacked two American tourists on the opening day of the Olympic Games, killing one of them before committing suicide, officials said Saturday.

The Beijing Municipal Government said the attack happened in downtown Beijing at noon on Saturday. Officials issued a statement saying the 47-year-old attacker, Tang Yongming, also injured an American woman and her Chinese tourist guide.

The attack took place on the second level of the Drum Tower, a popular tourist attraction in north Beijing. Tang threw himself from the ancient monument used to tell time centuries ago.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Wow, things are starting to unravel all at once for America.

While this incident is small, makes you wonder what's in store for American atheletes/citizens in China.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 04:11 AM
link   
This is a bad sign for sure. And on the first day of the Olympics even! I hope that American's aren't targets, even though they unfortunately are in most cases. Hopefully this will be an isolated incident.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
That's rather scary, motivated by hatred of the US? More than likely.

Seems if the air doesn't kill you the locals will.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Apparently the people attacked were relatives of an Olympic official - Breaking Sky News

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
That stirs up the pot a little bit Renegade, thanks for that. I wonder how much airtime this will get on the media, as well as take away time from the Russia/Georgia scuffle going on.

The death of one American at a supposed "peaceful" games will be milked until the cows come home. I have a feeling this will be a good way for attention to be taken away from what is going on in the Cacausus'.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Very very strange.. Broad daylight murder in a nation where the crime rate is so because it is enforced with a iron fist.
The man must be insane..
ulterior motives?

[edit on 9-8-2008 by Daedalus3]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrOOpieS
That stirs up the pot a little bit Renegade, thanks for that. I wonder how much airtime this will get on the media, as well as take away time from the Russia/Georgia scuffle going on.

The death of one American at a supposed "peaceful" games will be milked until the cows come home. I have a feeling this will be a good way for attention to be taken away from what is going on in the Cacausus'.

First Sky said it was an Olympic officials relative and now they are stating that it's an American athletes relative.

I'll confirm this once they report on it again

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Sad to hear that this event happened, no matter what day of the Olympics it is. I do hope this is an isolated incident and not a general feeling among citizens. The opening ceremonies promoted peace among all, for the children, for all the children of the world not just Chinese. I felt like whoever coordinated the ceremony truly had goodwill in mind.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrOOpieS

an american being murdered in china during the olympics absolutely should be bigger news in america than anything else. it's terrifying to observe that our status has fallen so far a thing like this can happen.

look at what would have happened if a roman citizen had been murdered anywhere in the world outside of rome. this is the kind of incident that requires swift, decisive action.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Hmm...

Strike one...

Im trying to give China a Fair shake... but...

I understand where the espresion 'rain' on your parade came from now...

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
It was the Coach of the US Volleyball team, relatives have been informed by the US Embassy in Beijing

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
This is only making the news because of the Olympics. If an American was killed in Beijing outside the time frame of the Olympics, it wouldn't make the headlines. It's sad that the modern media wish to read between the lines and point the finger

I do not know how this is a "sign" either, this isn't a communist plot to kill the evil capitalists. All tourists are a target in Beijing due to their wealth, the poor in China have nothing - literally.

Crime does occur in other parts of the world. It's not a Western thing.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
This sounds like an isolated crazy. As far as targetting Americans, I doubt whether the crazy could tell they were Americans as opposed to Brits or Aussies or French, etc.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
oh you can always pick and american out

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
Very very strange.. Broad daylight murder in a nation where the crime rate is so because it is enforced with a iron fist.

Yeah they use an iron fist but who really knows what their crime rates are. And this attacker was probably crazy so he wouldn't count.

They could have a high number of people going nuts over there and would'n't advertise it, they would just execute them and hush the matter up. I recall the "ghost bride" stories, I would bet their murder rate is fairly high, but again one can't trust the reports.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
So what? Some nut went insane and lashed out... there's no word on motive yet.

Happens on a monthly basis in the US now, is that evidence for some global/tin foil/NWO conspiracy?

He's probably insane who knows, I don't know why everyone loves to blow things out of proportion so much and immediately assume there must be some hidden agenda behind everything.

Yeah, the Chinese are planning to assassinate the US athletes...
sigh

There's always some violence at these types of major, international events, big deal.
Look the World Cup in 2006, rioting in Germany.
Look at Athens 2004 before that, there were terrorist plots apparently uncovered.

No need to have a heart attack here people... it's normal human behaviour.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
All tourists are a target in Beijing due to their wealth, the poor in China have nothing - literally.

Crime does occur in other parts of the world. It's not a Western thing.

Ya, I don't think robbery was the motive as the perpetrator jumped to his own death following the attack.

[edit on 9-8-2008 by TheComte]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Right I'm not saying that this is the reason but not long before then there was some hoohar in Tiananmen square because some Americans were doing a proTibet protest. The protest was quickly shut down and some Chinese citizens responded quite violently. The Tibetans recently killed a number of ethnic Chinese and so understandably many Chinese are not happy with the Tibetan people. It is possible that the killing was related to that protest. Also I'd besurprised if the attack was specifically against 'Americans.'

[edit on 9-8-2008 by Space_Ed]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The man killed is from my hometown. He was the CEO of Bachmans, which is a local garden center. His daughter was very well known as one of the greatest volleyball players our state has ever produced. Very sad day for Minnesota.

Bachman's CEO killed

Souhan: Tragedy strikes a volleyball family

Edit - Ok. I fixed the links. The second article is a beautifully written piece on the impact this family has made here in Minnesota.

[edit on 9/8/08 by TarvisK]

[edit on 9/8/08 by TarvisK]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join