It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian jets attack Georgian city

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Russian jets attack Georgian city

news.bbc.co.uk

Russian jets have carried out a series of strikes on military targets in the central Georgian city of Gori, close to the breakaway region of South Ossetia.

Most of the targets seem to have been military bases, but Georgian officials said a number of civilians had been killed in residential buildings.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Some reports say that the town of Poti(It is also a home to a main naval base and headquarters of the Georgian navy.)has been demolished.
Try to keep this up to date as soon more news will fold.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   
U.S. tells Russia to pull forces out of Georgia

American military planners reviewed contingency plans for the possible evacuation of up to 3,000 U.S. citizens from Georgia, including about 130 defense personnel there to train Georgian military forces for duty in Iraq.

Republican presidential candidate John McCain said Russia should pull its forces out. "The consequences for Euro-Atlantic stability and security are grave," he said.

Democrat Barack Obama condemned Russia's role. "What is clear is that Russia has invaded Georgia's sovereignty, has encroached on Georgia's sovereignty, and it is very important for us to resolve this issue as quickly as possible."

Where is this all heading???

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by rixhell

BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB IRAN...

Actually I really think so... we will see?

I believe this is a power play for oil and the US needs to hit Iran to stay competitive.
Russia just hit the mother load of all oil deals and Iran will give the US a comparable
situation. PIPE PIPE PIPE PIPE PIPIN OUT THE OIL.

Russia needs a port on that side for its new found business???? ahhhhhhhhh

You can take IRAN

WE WILL TAKE GEORGIA -- MY FRRIEND.

Click the link on my post here, read it and think like a billionaire...
I think thats the answer, if some what adjusted for reality

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
This is not as important as the John Edwards infidelity story, please change the title and content of this thread.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by rixhell

what the hell are US military advisors doing in Georgia if it's not an all out attempt to piss the Russians off if they aint pissed at all the attempts to encircle their territory with NATO this and affiliate that! I hope the ruskies teach the Georgians that takin the piss re Russia is a nineties phenomenon, that Saskvilli has always come across as a US pawn, something of the night about him and his aims. Taking the Baltics was one thing put the attempt by the US to take Georgia and Ukraine is insane, it deserves Russian tanks in Mexico, Canada, St.Pierre and Miquelon, SS20's in Jamaica, the Russian bear has been cornered and it was insane to do so, stupid bloody Yanks!
I'm so with the US regarding taking out Iran, yes a real world idealogical and potential nuclear threat, but forcing Russia into the corner was the worst thing we could have done, we wanted them onside when it comes to the Islamic fundamentalist and terror issues, we share the same massive threats to our civilisation, but no, the Yanks have pissed the Russians off in total and there can be no surprise that they back Iran and will cause much trouble to us in the future through supplying proxies because we never meant peace with the end of thne Cold War, we went on the offensive to encircle them, now they have every right to strike back!

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Same story can be found in this threadhere. Things are heating up.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DrOOpieS

I think things are cooling down...

WE are way better off then yesterday...

I think this can cool down, if no one gets crazy...

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Firstly, mr Saakashvili broke his promise not tobegin war in South Ossetia. Secondly, mr Saakhashvili broke war at the beginning of the Olympic Games. Thirdly, Georgian troops used heavy artilery that heavyly damaged the capital of South Ossetia, more than 2000 of civilians died. Forthly, 90% of population of South Ossetia has Russian passport, so mr Medvedev made a decision to protect Russian civilians on the Georgian territory. Russian planes began to destroy Georgian military objects but some bombs destroyed blocks of flat. Such occasion were during wars in Afganistan and Iraq. Historical fact: after the collapse of the USSR Georgian nationalists annihilated the autonomy of South Ossetia, Abkhazia and Adzharia. After this the civil war in Georgia broke. Now Georgia uses Army against Ossetians but a few days ago Saakhashvili promised not to do it. Mr Saakhashvili is to blame of killing 2000 people. The seize of Tskhinvali is a militari crime. Russia is defending its civilians and peacekeepers.

new topics

top topics

join