It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conflict spreads outside S Ossetia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Conflict spreads outside S Ossetia

english.aljazeera.net

Georgian officials said that Russian jets had launched attacks inside Georgia on Friday, amid heavy fighting on the ground around the South Ossetian capital Tskhinvali.

"Russian air forces have bombed towns in Georgia, the port of Poti on the Black Sea, the town of Senaki ... the Russian air assault ranges from the Black Sea coast in the west to the Azerbaijani border," Giorgi Badrize, acting Georgian ambassador to the UK, told Al Jazeera.

"If this is not an all-out war, what is?
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Why are the Georgians acting like it is a big surprise that Russia is attacking areas within their own territory?

"Oh noes! We instigated the act of aggression against an area that wants to potentially become a part of Russia, and you attack us!?!"

It's funny how western media is spinning the story. Headlines on the screen are saying "Russia invades Georgia", give me a break.

I especially liked the little gem in the article that states that "Russia's Cyber-Warfare division is attacking Georgian computers." Hilarious.

english.aljazeera.net

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Well, i mean not to get technical or anything but there ya go right there. Kinda answered your own question if you think about it.

The area in question MAY "want to potentially become a part of....." yadda, yadda, yadda....that does sound too convincing.

"may want to potentially become" so that reason should be a deterrent LOL?

Originally posted by DrOOpieS
"Oh noes! We instigated the act of aggression against an area that wants to potentially become a part of Russia, and you attack us!?!"
english.aljazeera.net

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Irony my friend
, it's a beautiful thing. DrOOpieS is smarter than he leads people on to believe.

Way to blow my cover

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Russia's Cyber-Warfare division is attacking Georgian computers." Hilarious.

What's halarious about that? You don't think Russia has Information Warfare practices? The US and China both do.

In fact, we attacked Iraqi air defense systems electonically by computer and brought them down before the first Sortie.

Information Warfare is playing a huge role now in warfare. It's nearly becoming the most important component for disarming your enemy.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrOOpieS

Why are the Georgians acting like it is a big surprise that Russia is attacking areas within their own territory?

It's funny how western media is spinning the story. Headlines on the screen are saying "Russia invades Georgia", give me a break.

I especially liked the little gem in the article that states that "Russia's Cyber-Warfare division is attacking Georgian computers." Hilarious.

english.aljazeera.net

Well, you can't get into Georgia's Ministry of Defense website right now...so it could be true.
Georgian MOD

Then again, a big fat Russian bomb could have severed some wires or something. *shrug*

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

What's hilarious about it is how they are reacting to the fact that the Russians are using such an advanced form of warfare.

Welcome to the 21st century Georgia. The internets are fine (some foul language in link).

[edit on 9-8-2008 by DrOOpieS]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
You can even run a simple Denial of Service attack against an enemy network and bring it down that way. All you need is to spawn hundreds of threads across dozens of machines and sending large network packets (UDP packets) and saturate the bandwidth.

The enemy machines can no longer handle requests.

If the subnet is off the Internet, there are ways of getting at that too.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

I think the Georgians may have a job for you if interested
. I wish their pages were still up. I would have loved to have seen what shenanigans were pulled on them.

From some of the articles I read earlier, it was implied that hackers were the ones who got to the sites. Although, it is just as plausible that it was the military. But it would be pretty funny if it was just hackers that did it though.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I hear ya, but am thinking the Russian military got to them. They may have even had "moles" working as network admins for Georgian military sites. All they had to do was leave some ports open on the Georgian military servers.

When multiple ports are opened ripe for attack, it's called "Promiscuis mode".

[edit on 9-8-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

Hmmm, sounds sexy
. The Russians never cease to amaze/amuse me with how savvy they can be. Oh Ivan, you clever bastard.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Hmmm, sounds sexy . The Russians never cease to amaze/amuse me with how savvy they can be. Oh Ivan, you clever bastard.

Why do you think Russian Nerds get all the hot Russian models? They don't even have to pay them anymore. Nerds are sexy.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

Ru5514n haxors ftw! I think I'm just going to stick to ATS and Star Wars to uphold my inner geekdom.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Ru5514n haxors ftw! I think I'm just going to stick to ATS and Star Wars to uphold my inner geekdom.

I'm a huge Star Wars nut. I never met a girl that like it - always said they couldn't be paid to watch them, but I finally met one that likes the costumes.

No, you start talking geek and most people, not just non-techie girls, will get that "Deer in the headlights" look.

Keep it to yourself is right.

You'd think Georgia would have some good hackers/programmers/engineers - am sure they do, but must be losing the cyber-battle.

[edit on 9-8-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Back to the OP -

AFP, via Sky News, reports that Russian bombardment has destroyed the Black Sea port of Poti

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Muppetus Galacticus

If you have a link to that article that would be great. Russia is not playing around now. Taking out that port eliminates any possible reinforcements or resupply by sea (possibly from Turkey). Things are starting to get interesting.

new topics

top topics

join