It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican cartels running pot farms in U.S. national forest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Mexican cartels running pot farms in U.S. national forest

www.cnn.com

SEQUOIA NATIONAL FOREST, California (CNN) -- Beyond the towering trees that have stood here for thousands of years, an intense drug war is being waged.
Illegal immigrants connected to Mexico's drug cartels are growing hundreds of millions of dollars worth of marijuana in the heart of one of America's national treasures, authorities say. It's a booming business that, federal officials say, feeds Mexico's most violent drug traffickers.

"These aren't Cheech and Chong plants," said John Walters, director of the National Drug Control Policy. "People who farm now are not doing this for laughs, despite the fact Hollywood still thinks that. They're doing it to make a lot of money."

Walters spoke from a "marijuana garden" tucked deep into the Sequoia National Forest, a two- to four-hour hike from the nearest road, far removed from the giant sequoias the region is best known for.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Sorry to all of you smokers, but they found your supply!!!

Bummer dudes!

Seriously, I can't believe that the north woods in California are a pot field.
Good thing that we have Homeland Security!!! LOL

I guess that the illegals that plant this stuff are not getting checked by those who's job it is to check them. Lots of cash to be lost here.

Hold onto your stash people, the price just went up!!

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
It's been going on for a long time.

I lived down the hill about 30 miles from Sequoia National Park.

Busting pot farms in the forest was a fairly regular news item in the paper and on TV since about the earl 90's.

Dangerous places as well.
Booby trapped and guards with weapons.

Bad part about the whole thing is it made the forest very dangerous for backpackers and fishermen who hiked in.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
This is a direct product of the prohibition against the plant.

Legalized those cartels would be very very sad as everyone who wanted some of the plant would be growing it at home, all summer, fall, winter, and spring, never running dry.

Prohibition only makes the prohibited item profitable, especially when is
a plant that grows 20 feet tall, and if grown for seed produces half its
weight in the genetic material to grow even more of itself.

State for state Cannabis is the #1 cash crop and America is the #1 global consumer of the plant.

Yay for the drug war, another fine failure to put on the mantle next to Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam and Korea.

Team America #1!

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
the fact that this stuff is still illegal really pisses me off.

Theres nothing wrong with it!!!

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
ITS A Plant an its illegal...........

It makes u laugh AN Chill

i dnt see anybody dieN from IT

its used to for medical use
:

I dnt get it really

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I seem to recall CNN reporting on this about a year or two ago. In theory, from the dealer POV, it was a good idea. Until the authorities figured it out. Then it went downhill. If drug dealers would watch the news, at least they'd know when it's time to pack up and get out.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by wolf241e

More power to them! And good luck! Viva La Mexico!!!

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Well no big deal here, mexicans growing pot in the US is the same as Mexicans growing pot in Mexico and smuggling it over to the US. The sad thing is that the stuff they grow is downright schwag. They cant grow any decent pot in Mexico so they try in Cali, and they still can't grow any good #. I live in Oregon and it is almost impossible to find #ty mexi weed here. I think that the mexican growers are getting a bum rap when it comes down to sentencing, they should take the street value and cut it by 80% and then charge them. AND What the hell is up with the new crappy star wars animated movie? At least they could have produced it with some decent animation.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
lol, so much for that wall eh?

When they find it worthwhile enough to come in and use your country as their grow op... kinda puts shame to your security.

Seriously though, with all the hype and money spent on security in the States, seeing as other countries can enter your country easily enough that they decided to maintain a grow op in it... you have to wonder if any of that money actually went to security at all.

All those freedoms being eroded in the name of security, and your government still hasn't given you that security yet. All you're left with are less freedoms, and a whole whack of new enemies around the globe.

My next question is, if they know where the grow ops are, why don't they just go in and crush them? Sounds like they've known for a few years now.

top topics

join