It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disclaimer below post reply area

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Please do not post your own personal information. You should be aware that any personally identifiable information you submit here can be read, collected, or used by other users of these forums, and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for the personally identifiable information you choose to submit, and may remove it at our discretion.

Source: Any reply

What is this? Is this a disclaimer? Really? I mean most of us are adults and know that we shouldn't share our personal information online, especially on a discussion board. Is this really necessary?

case in point, I once put my real phone number in my mini profile for a couple of weeks. Not one person called me. Repeat, NOT ONE PERSON CALLED ME. In my opinion this really isn't a necessary disclaimer, Also, some like me have chosen to share our yahoo IM addresses. Is this going away?

I know that S.O., Springer, and Simon have email addys in their avatars. Is this going to change as well?

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
If you don't need the reminder disregard it.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

A question. How long have you been a Netizen?

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatuknocase in point, I once put my real phone number in my mini profile for a couple of weeks. Not one person called me. Repeat, NOT ONE PERSON CALLED ME.

If you're into fat old married men post it to your mini profile again.
(JK)

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

It's like all the people who died by falling off ladders. Now they have sticker that warns of everything, including "do not use ladder on an oil slick". The Reagan years of sue everyone created this environment of fear. ATS is covering its arse.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

We are not responsible for the personally identifiable information you choose to submit

I think it's called a legal CYA measure. Considering the litigious world we live in, recent cases of online stalking, harassment, rapes, murders, suicides, and lawsuits pertaining to such, ATS is merely taking the advice of legal council. Of course I could be wrong and the whole thing could be the result of one of the coders messing with us while on a bender. Who knows?

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
ATS is covering its arse.

Yes and members that aren't net savvy. I was not only new to ATS 5 years ago, I was also new to the "net". As an older person, I pretty much say what I think, do as I think. Posting personal info could have been disturbing. Same with younger folks coming up but I think they would be more net savvy growing up with it. All in all, a warning for those that don't know better.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
intrepid,

A question. How long have you been a Netizen?

I don't use a computer, I use telepathy.
J.K.

It's a sad day for the internet when sites have to CTA with disclaimers about things that are common sense. :shk: I mean really, this is like putting a disclaimer on a handgun barrel (do not point at face)

Was there an incident that made this a necessary move? I hope nothing serious has occurred.

Kellter

If you're into fat old married men post it to your mini profile again.
(JK)

Don't let the girl in the avatar fool you

new topics

top topics

join