It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

106 mpg 'air car' creates buzz, questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

106 mpg 'air car' creates buzz, questions

www.cnn.com

You've heard of hybrids, electric cars and vehicles that can run on vegetable oil. But of all the contenders in the quest to produce the ultimate fuel-efficient car, this could be the first one to let you say, "Fill it up with air."

That's the idea behind the compressed air car, a vehicle its backers say could achieve a fuel economy of 106 miles per gallon.

Plenty of skepticism exists, but with many Americans trying to escape sticker shock at the gas pump, the concept is generating buzz.

The technology has been the focus of MDI, a European company founded in 1991 by a French inventor and former race car engineer.

New York-based Zero Pollution Motors is the first firm to obtain a license from MDI to produce the cars in the United States, pledging to deliver the first models in 2010 at a price tag of less than $18,000.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
After the initial release, and posting on CNN, it quickly climbed to the #2 spot in popular articles? Could this be a short-term alternative energy source we have been looking for, while we research for more, permanent, long-term results?

They want to release the first models in 2010 for less than $18,000, count me in!

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
If people have control of their energy sources it will be a massive step in the direction of peace on earth, as the oil pretext and lack of energy fearmongering will stop.

Star and flagged.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by truth_seeker3

WOW! It's an AIR JAMMER!!!!

Who remembers these?

Air Jammers! Road Rammers!

[edit on 8-8-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Wow, as I read the OP's entry my old Air Jammer came to mind. Imagine my surprise to see that picture when I scrolled down. Brilliant!

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I love the fact that all of this is happening now. Where was the crying and innovation 5 or 10 years ago? Gotta love living in a reactionary world. No one thinks or plans ahead, just jump on the next crisis and try to patch our way through it.

Still, if this is for real, great idea. Hope it works.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Where will the energy to compress the air come from? Nothing is free, certainly not 'compressed' air.

Also, will the 'air' be free of additives (besides perhaps 'fresh scent' or other 'value added' type stuff?) Or will their be some fluorocarbon propellant or other petroleum-based crap in the mix.

It's a nice idea, car's running on 'air' but my considerable gut tells me that there are many ways to skin a cat, and if the automotive and energy industries know anything, it's how to exploit their 'consumers.'

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Where will the energy to compress the air come from? Nothing is free, certainly not 'compressed' air.

I am just taking a guess off the top of my head here but I would assume it is going to use an energy source to get the car moving then they could probably use the rotation of the tires and connect a belt to them and that would provide compressed air to the tank....kind of like how an alternator works.

-Kdial1

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Please correct me if I am wrong, but isnt air measured in pounds, not gallons? Also, if I can find a way to compress air at home, wouldnt that mean I wouldnt have to pay for compressed air?

sty

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
well, expect this car to be less powerfull than your typical american car! However, this idea is great - we could actually store energy by compressing air - not very efficient but bit better and cheaper than standard batteries for the EVs..

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

That's not exactly how it works.

How Air-Powered Cars Will Work

The e.Volution is powered by a two-cylinder, compressed-air engine. The basic concept behind the engine is unique (see this page for details) -- it can run either on compressed air alone or act as an internal combustion engine. Compressed air is stored in carbon or glass fiber tanks at a pressure of 4,351 pounds per square inch (psi). This air is fed through an air injector to the engine and flows into a small chamber, which expands the air. The air pushing down on the pistons moves the crankshaft, which gives the vehicle power.

Zero Pollution Motors is also working on a hybrid version of their engine that can run on traditional fuel in combination with air.
The change of energy source is controlled electronically. When the car is moving at speeds below 60 kph, it runs on air. At higher speeds, it runs on a fuel, such as gasoline, diesel or natural gas.

Air tanks fixed to the underside of the vehicle can hold about 79 gallons (300 liters) of air. This compressed air can fuel the e.Volution for up to 124 miles (200 km) at a top speed of 60 miles per hour (96.5 kph).

The air will push the pistons down, using the engine and transmission to move the vehicle.

[edit on 8/8/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Great discussion! I left for a few hours and I see this research!
Thanks for posting exactly how that worked. Even though this might not be as powerful or as large as current cars, it will not cost as much money. This might be the spur to shift our lifestyles, maybe a little bit, but its a start.

See, if the government gave more incentives earlier such as in the 70's and 80's we could be using this technology now, instead of Regan pushing money towards oil.

If this works, well have a lot of alternative energies at our disposal for long-term development---air, bio fuel, solar, wind... I just think this is great new, cheap technology that will benefit us positively.

new topics

top topics

join