It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Puzzle #2 - Symbol Sequence

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
It appears all the characters are made from a 5x5 grid, and there are 52 characters. Braille works on a 2x3 so that's out.

Any ideas?

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Each little group of 5 dots represents a letter..... maybe...

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
oops wrong info. sorry my bad

[edit on 8-8-2008 by postmeme]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by postmeme

There's still a space between them with a 5x5. Anyway thinking about, it probably doesn't really matter.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
This one is making my eyes cross and my head ache

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
It appears to me to be 5 words, all seperated by the straight line of dots, the last three words are under the first two.

So It appears to be something like this to me with "l" being a space or word seperation. This is how many letters I also believe are in each word, represented by x's.
But here is what I'm looking at.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX l XXXXXXXXXXXX l
XXXXXXX l XXXXXXX l XXXXXXX l

So possibly 5 words, the first 15 letters, the second 12, the last 3 containing 7 letters each. I could be off on the numbers of letters in the 4th words, haveing a bit of trouble seperating the characters.

Also you can see common symbols, so we can hopefully try plugging in the more common letters there like R,S,T,E,L,N.

I'll also check again and see if there are any double symbols, which would most likely represent the letters, L, S, E, O, or any other common letters that can be used one after the other. for instance, the word wheel. Double ee's. ect.

[edit on 8-8-2008 by Nola213]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Nola213

That was my line of thinking too, I also noticed the double-letters at the end of the first word which appear to be the same as the first and sixth letter.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

OK!, good find, so what letters can be used in pairs? E, L, S, O, N, T, would be the most common, but you cn even see double A's , R's, B's, X,s even, and probably alot more, but I'm gonna try looking at the more common ones first.

Also the position of these characters in the word is important.

At the end of the first "word" if this line of thinking is even correct. We see the double characters as the 13th, and 14th letters in a 15 letter word. Oddly enough the last letter, the 15th of the first word appears many times in the puzzle, which is almost leading me to think it could be a vowel, and I'm leaning towards that first 15 letter word ending in "LLE", just a feeling, but it could also be "TTA" and quite a few other combinations, just gonna have to try them all, and and work it like a cryptogram.

I hope it is a standard cryptogram. Or I am totally going in the wrong direction.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
That letter is also present in every other word, including the first character in the last word.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I'm heading towards the double symbols being either an L or T with the last symbol in the first group being an S.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cameoii
That letter is also present in every other word, including the first character in the last word.

Exactly!

So we are looking at a frequently used letter of the alphabet. Thinking back to the old days of Wheel of fortune (gameshow), what did they always pick at the end for the Final puzzle? R,S,T,L,N.... and E. Right? I believe those are the most common letters used in the English language, although, they were only able to pick one vowel, so This may not be correct, perhaps another vowel like A, or I, is more common than the letter L?

Too bad I not a proffessional codebreaker, heh.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Working on the double letters and found this page.

scottbryce.com...

Might be helpful.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Great link, ketamine99....I was just googling letter statistics! Thanks!

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
here is a crossword puzzle helper program also
I do not at get the random letter to make a word, its so difficult

www.wordbyletter.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I tried it as a straight cryptogram:

ABCDEAFDEGCHAAC HIFEJKCALMJE
NOALPMI QCAOELI ACMBJCH

No joy.

I even replaced the "spaces" with the letter R and tried it set on "Find spaces". Still gibberish.

I'm using this solver, by the way:
www.blisstonia.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ragster
here is a crossword puzzle helper program also
I do not at get the random letter to make a word, its so difficult

www.wordbyletter.com...

yea this is the link I'm looking at, I'm looking at all 15 letter words, trying to find one that starts with with the same letter as the double letters at the end of the word.

Also note the 3rd and the last letter are the same.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I wish we could run these decrypto programs against our own dictionary. We could compile a dictionary using the tag system and probably get better results. The dictionaries used by the online sites probably aren't going to contain a lot of the words in these puzzles.

I tried to download the stand alone version of the one posted above but it won't run on my computer.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Tuning Spork

nice link Tuning Spork. Thanks for the help.

As I said I hope this puzzle is a standard cryptogram, or else all this effort will be for not.

But with the symbols, and locations ad frequency of certain ones I'm pretty sure we are on the right track.

I may be wrong about the straight verticle dots being word seperations or spaces. I really hope I'm not though.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
There is something that caught my eye. Towards the bottom of the page, below "Solution Rewards" is another image of 3 4x5 grids. Not sure if this is important, but it may be hinting at us to split this up into 4x5 grids rather than 5x5. The 5x5 layout in the puzzle might just be a way to trick us?

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Who got that one? It's changed again ...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join