It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Waterboarding an attraction at amusement park

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Waterboarding an attraction at amusement park

www.reuters.com

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A man with a black hood pours water on the face of a prisoner in an orange jumpsuit strapped to a table: no, it's not Guantanamo Bay naval base, but New York's Coney Island amusement park.

The scene using robotic dolls is an installation built by artist Steve Powers to criticize waterboarding, a simulated drowning technique the United States has admitted using on terrorism suspects, but that rights group say is torture.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com
www.chicagotribune.com
www.newsday.com
www.canada.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
[EVENT *NY] "THE WATERBOARDING THRILL RIDE by Steve Powers" (aka ESPO)
Bush to Veto CIA Waterboarding Ban Bill
Cheney confirms that detainees were subjected to water-boarding. W/Garphic Video!

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I believe that this animatronic waterboarding is 'advertisement' for ESPO's August 15th event, where he plans to waterboard 50 lawyers and himself.

Personally, I have commented in the past that I thought Alberto Gonzales should have given waterboarding a try. I imagine anyone who hasactually been waterboarded will admit it is torture. I guess we will see.

In the meantime, make your way to Coney Island and watch as one robot tortures another...
DocMoreau

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Such a deprived society we live in today.

Pay per view torture, fake or not is so.... American.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gools

I disagree, sometimes the public at large need to be confronted with the actual bruatility of something before they can open their eyes to the truth.

I am just happy that they are robots. Can´t wait to see the lawyers being waterboarded though...

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

In some ways, the lack of outrage over this 'pay per view' torture (I think its free to view...) is more 'American' to me...

I mean, this thread isn't getting much play either...
DocMoreau

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools

Yes unlike our pure neighbors to the north that apparently live a monk like existance it seems

If one person gains awareness of the torture that is going on then I suspose its worth it. Like most forms of artistic expression you take the good with the bad: for every Ansel Adams there is a maplethorp etc.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Oh please, I wasn't implying some kind of "Canadian Moral Superiority" at all.

Don't tell me you never heard the expression "Only in America"?

Seems very apt to me in this situation.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
erm `rights groups say is tirture`

the USA tried anc convicted not only japanese offciers of waterboarding as torture but also vietnamese officers of teh same- yet 40 years later its suddenly ok?

don`t make me laugh

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

I wish more people knew that information.

I also wish that more people would act outraged by all the waterboarding that went on in regard to the USA/Iraq.

DocMoreau

[edit on 5/9/2008 by DocMoreau]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocMoreau
reply to post by Harlequin

I wish more people knew that information.

I also wish that more people would act outraged by all the waterboarding that went on in regard to the USA/Iraq.

DocMoreau

[edit on 5/9/2008 by DocMoreau]

Doc, I wish the same thing. Unfortunately the concensus seems to be that "torture is okay, if it saves a life." That, is an idea that I cannot live with. I am quite outspoken in my condemnation of any sort of torture, as it has been proven to be unreliable for the extraction of any useful information. Even further, I hate the fact that a person in custody is abused so horribly by their "custodians.'

Torture. That which we have railed against, only to embrace at a later date. Amazing what some people will do to retain power and might.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kelbtalfenek

Maybe the McCain/Palin ticket should take their families on this waterboarding ride.

I would really like to hear John McCain's opinion about whether or not waterboarding is torture.

DocMoreau

top topics

join