It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Random House pulls novel on Islam, fears violence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Publisher Random House has pulled a novel about the Prophet Mohammed's child bride, fearing it could "incite acts of violence."

"The Jewel of Medina," a debut novel by journalist Sherry Jones, 46, was due to be published on August 12 by Random House, a unit of Bertelsmann AG, and an eight-city publicity tour had been scheduled, Jones told Reuters on Thursday.

www.reuters.com...

This should indeed frighten the whole planet, that fact that a religion is so violent and intolerant that books are being recalled.

When will the world wake up to the evil that is islam?

Hundreds of antichristian books are published each year yet even a novel based in islam is not allowed to be published..............

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
wating for the "kumbaya" PC crowd to begin attacking...

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fathom
wating for the "kumbaya" PC crowd to begin attacking...

(OP puts on kevlar jacket and helmet, checks windows, for he knows this is true)

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
You must remember the s*** storm that a cartoon incited, an entire book would prove to be just as problematic. I do agree that there is a double standard here though.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
online.wsj.com...

I call publicity stunt. I mean, I had never even heard about this book or author before. The wiki on both the author and the book is barely 2 days old, just after the controversy story came out. I'm not exactly a book critic, and it may be unfair judging a book by just a small passage, but the story doesn't seem to be anything more than a sloppy romance with history tagged on.
However, now everyone connected to this book will be famous. It'll sell millions of copies, and make everyone rich. I call publicity stunt.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by babloyi

But can you deny the ultrasensitive nature of many within islam? You can call it a publicity stunt, however, it could not work unless islam had gone nuts over smaller things in the recent past.

Riots, murder, threats.................

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
online.wsj.com...

I call publicity stunt.

wait..publicity stunt? and what good will all this publicity do them if they PULLED the book? lotta publicity for a book that is no longer for sale.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by heliosprime

This just saves the Muslim fanatics the trouble of having to burn the books after they are already printed.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

The book may not have been published yet, but it's still available for pre-order from amazon, and according to Sherry Jones, she is getting another publisher, and the spanish publishers are going ahead.

I'm looking up some stuff right now, and found some interesting facts.
-I can find no news articles on google before aug 2008 from Sherry Jones the Journalist (doesn't necessarily mean she didn't write, just means it was for an obscure enough paper/article that it didn't show up).
-I find absolutely NOTHING about any book called "The Jewel of Medina" before Aug 2008 (which seems odd if the author was going on a tour).
-The wiki on Sherry Jones, The Jewel of Medina and Denise Spellberg‎ were all created on the 6th of August 2008, by a user who created a wikipedia account on the 4th of august 2008.
-Sherry Jone's blog was created on the 5th of august, where her 1st article was about the Wall Street Journal article (which hadn't even been published yet): which means the article was shown to her prior to publishing.
-All this is 2 months later than when she signed her termination agreement with Random House!

I think I am getting into the conspiracy theorist swing of things!

[edit on 9-8-2008 by babloyi]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Yo....babloyi...........all that you have "found" shows me that there was intense pressure placed on Random House to stop this book and the author too measures to get her work OUT........if it were a publicity stunt why shift the work to other pubishers............

Sounds like an author determined NOT to have her work strangled by islamo-nazi's................

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Actually, the author herself states that they received absolutely no threats, and she considers the book immensely respectful, and a 'bridge between east and west'. Doesn't sound like she's scared of being shut down by muslims. The people who suggested postponing were not muslims, they were academics who she had sent copies of the galleys to.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi

Actually, the author herself states that they received absolutely no threats, and she considers the book immensely respectful, and a 'bridge between east and west'. Doesn't sound like she's scared of being shut down by muslims. The people who suggested postponing were not muslims, they were academics who she had sent copies of the galleys to.

The fact remains that fear of islamic insanity in the streets had an impact on this decision. Fanatics in the streets burning cars, etc, has thken the place of the Nazi book burnings of the 30's.........

islamic fanatic or nazi, what's the difference? well actually they are the same aren't they..........

The Führer's Mufti: After World War I, the Great Powers of Europe jockeyed for influence in the Middle East's oil fields and trade routes, with France and Britain holding mandates throughout most of the region. In the 1930s, the fascist regimes that arose in Italy and Germany sought greater stakes in the area, and began courting Arab leaders to revolt against their British and French custodians. Among their many willing accomplices was Jerusalem Mufti Haj Amin el-Husseini, who fled Palestine after agitating against the British during the Arab Revolt of 1936-39. He found refuge in Iraq – another of Her Majesty's mandates – where he again topped the British most wanted list after helping pull the strings behind the Iraqi coup of 1941. The revolt in Baghdad was orchestrated by Hitler as part of a strategy to squeeze the region between the pincers of Rommel's troops in North Africa, German forces in the Caucuses and pro-Nazi forces in Iraq. However, in June 1941 British troops put down the rebellion and the Mufti escaped via Tehran to Italy and eventually to Berlin

christianactionforisrael.org...

top topics

join