It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia/Georgia Situation News & Updates

page: 329
<< 326  327  328    330  331  332 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regensturm

The South Ossetians and Abkhazians, from what I understand, wish to end Georgian domination in South Ossetia and Abkhazia and seek independence.

If I was living in Adyghe and Georgians said to me that I am an off shoot of Georgians , I would then rightly feel insulted too . My point is that I understand both Ossetian , Abhazian objections . Being a Kabardian , I am actually acutely aware of the situation .
Stalin's borders are serving their purpose , that is all one can say about it .

All little ancient caucasian nations should be independent and Russia - Iran - Turkey trio should be the guarantors of weapon~less and army~less Caucasian Nations .

Where they turn to Russia is because of a lack of anyone else to turn to and because Russia are nearby and powerful.

It is true that the local disputes existed before Russians ever set foot on Caucasus . It is also true that the Russians have usurped the Caucasian lands .

Russia might have the Hard Power to occupy the lands of Caucasus but Russia does not have the Soft Power to hold onto it .

The West does not recognise the cause of South Ossetia or Abkhazia after all.

This is true but for how long ?
If Russia recognises the Northern Cyprus Turkish Republic , in exchange Turks would welcome the Ossets and Abhaz into family of UN .
Or Russia can ask any of the Stans to do the deed as well .

Russia are of course, not Angels, but on this issue they are in the right to defend the South Ossetians and the Abkhazians from the nationalistic cowardly treacherous little dwarf that is Saakashvilli.

Russians have to lead by example , that is what Rodina asks for , nothing less .
The issue of Caucasus and it's political orientation is a survival point for the Russian federation itself .

Saakashvili might be inexperienced and perhaps he might have committed errors in his dealings with the Russians but none of this changes the reality that , at the bottom of all these issues , there exists the Russian & Caucasian conflict .

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
:
:

[edit on 11-8-2010 by 23432]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
double post
:

[edit on 11-8-2010 by 23432]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
EDIT: *double post*

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Regensturm]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by 23432
If I was living in Adyghe and Georgians said to me that I am an off shoot of Georgians , I would then rightly feel insulted too . My point is that I understand both Ossetian , Abhazian objections . Being a Kabardian , I am actually acutely aware of the situation .
Stalin's borders are serving their purpose , that is all one can say about it .

All little ancient caucasian nations should be independent and Russia - Iran - Turkey trio should be the guarantors of weapon~less and army~less Caucasian Nations .

That's a coincidence you should say that. John Pilger, a well-known author, has said there is a place in the world for Russia to stand up for small nations.

It is true that the local disputes existed before Russians ever set foot on Caucasus . It is also true that the Russians have usurped the Caucasian lands .

Certainly that's the case in Chechnya, who were seeking independence, but then became radicalised and encouraged foreigners to join the war when Russia responded with great violence.

Russia might have the Hard Power to occupy the lands of Caucasus but Russia does not have the Soft Power to hold onto it .

We'll see. Certainly there are rumblings of a new insurrection in the Caucasus. But elsewhere, it's not about "holding on" to South Ossetia and Abkhazia. It's about continually showing support.

This is true but for how long ?
If Russia recognises the Northern Cyprus Turkish Republic , in exchange Turks would welcome the Ossets and Abhaz into family of UN .
Or Russia can ask any of the Stans to do the deed as well .

Indeed.

Russians have to lead by example , that is what Rodina asks for , nothing less .
The issue of Caucasus and it's political orientation is a survival point for the Russian federation itself .

In regards to places that want to break away, I would agree, Russia sees them as strategically important to keep hold of. Hundreds of years of history is testament to that.

Saakashvili might be inexperienced and perhaps he might have committed errors in his dealings with the Russians but none of this changes the reality that , at the bottom of all these issues , there exists the Russian & Caucasian conflict .

The Russian-Caucasas issue is different from the Georgian-South Ossetia-Abkhazia conflict, and it's important we don't muddy the waters here.

South Ossetia and Abkhazia seek independence from Georgia. Saakashvili, inexperienced as he may be, is still a warmongering nationalistic trouble-maker who seeks to rule and dominate people who do not want to be ruled and dominated by him.

Russia was there to step into the conflict and stop Saakashvili because they were requested to do so by South Ossetia and Abkhazia, who knew Russia were powerful enough to fight Georgia, and because they knew nobody else would come.

The Russia-Caucasian Issue exists, and I agree with you on that, but it is quite seperate from the topic of the thread, and the 2008 August War and it's aftermath.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Regensturm

Thank you for your considered response.

Russian Federation is not based on a firm ground . It seems secessionist movements are all too real in most of the federation members .

Obviously , Russians needs to get richer and more democratic . Anything else is a return to good'ol opression of some sort or the other .

From my personal perpective , I would welcome the United Caucasian Federation of some sort or the other . Obviously I would be biased , it's not easy to live in diasporea .

I think the Russians have an opportunity to show the world how to be a better version of themselves . I think the legacy of USSR demands Russia to be propelled into better version of themselves .

Time will tell whether Pushkin is turning in his grave or not .

On a side note , Russia is the largest country on earth and as such the economic activity needs to match the size of the land and it's resources .

Unfortunately , Russian population declines in any giving year and there seems to be a trend of social problems .

It is a comlex issue yet if solved , it could bring a new political frontiers to the western world .

Tall order to say least .

The Russian & Caucasian conflicts have always saw one native ribe siding with Russians against an another native tribe .

Thus the usage of proxies in this war ; is in itself is a way of conducting this war .

You've stated in your previous post that the Russians were no angels either .

In Caucasus , Angels get shot , all the time

That is why Russia would need the help of Iran & Turkey to create a permanent solution in Caucasus and securing the future of the federation for a forseeable future .

Respectfully .

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Regensturm

Thank you for your considered response.

Likewise, thank you for the same 23432.

Russian Federation is not based on a firm ground . It seems secessionist movements are all too real in most of the federation members .

Indeed, some more stronger than others. But people predicted the break up of Russia itself after the break-up of the Soviet Union, indeed predicted a civil war like in Yugoslavia, but besides the conflicts in the caucasus and the constitional crises and the attempted coup, this did not come to pass.

Obviously , Russians needs to get richer and more democratic . Anything else is a return to good'ol opression of some sort or the other .

Indeed, but the same is true for many places in the world.

From my personal perpective , I would welcome the United Caucasian Federation of some sort or the other . Obviously I would be biased , it's not easy to live in diasporea .

It's hard to see that occuring anytime soon, but the geopolitical and geostrategical future of the world may diversify and extend to allow such and event to happen.

I think the Russians have an opportunity to show the world how to be a better version of themselves . I think the legacy of USSR demands Russia to be propelled into better version of themselves .

Time will tell whether Pushkin is turning in his grave or not .

Indeed, again it's referring to John Pilger's point, how there is a vacant spot in the world for a large nation to defend the rights of smaller ones, and how Russia could take that role.

On a side note , Russia is the largest country on earth and as such the economic activity needs to match the size of the land and it's resources .

Unfortunately , Russian population declines in any giving year and there seems to be a trend of social problems .

It is a comlex issue yet if solved , it could bring a new political frontiers to the western world .

Tall order to say least .

Agreed, but not out of the question. With the right governance and stability, Russia could become a healthy counterweight for interests outside the Western sphere.

The Russian & Caucasian conflicts have always saw one native ribe siding with Russians against an another native tribe .

Thus the usage of proxies in this war ; is in itself is a way of conducting this war .

Historically, that is the case, but Russia sides with South Ossetia and Abkhazia because South Ossetia and Abkhazia see Russia as the only ally they have to get independence from Georgia and protect them from Saakashvilli.

If Russia take advantage, well, there would not be an opportunity to do so if Georgia had not behaved the way they did.

You've stated in your previous post that the Russians were no angels either .

In Caucasus , Angels get shot , all the time

I understand, many Russian civil rights activists and journalists have been murdered reporting on the caucasus and many civillians besides too.

There's a nasty habit of critics of the Russian government, including in regards to the policy towards the Caucasus, ending up with a bullet in the back.

That is why Russia would need the help of Iran & Turkey to create a permanent solution in Caucasus and securing the future of the federation for a forseeable future .

Agreed, it would be constructive to see such a partnership.

Respectfully .

Respectfully to you too.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Russia’s policy on S.Ossetia, Abkhazia to remain unchanged – Medvedev

From the link:

Russia’s policy on S.Ossetia, Abkhazia to remain unchanged – Medvedev

Published 13 August, 2010, 16:27

Edited 15 August, 2010, 10:20

Moscow’s policy towards supporting South Ossetia and Abkhazia remains unchanged, President Dmitry Medvedev said at a meeting with his Ossetian counterpart Eduard Kokoity.

"There is not a single doubt, Russia's course is invariable, it has been achieved through much suffering," the Russian said, cited by itar-Tass. On Friday, Medvedev met with the South Ossetian president in Sochi.

Medvedev noted that August is a special month in relations between Moscow and Tskhinval. Last week, memorial events were held in the republics to mark two years since the bloody conflict in the Caucasus. On August 8, 2008, Georgian troops attacked the South Ossetian capital with artillery and tanks, starting a five-day war which left hundreds dead and forced thousands to flee their homeland.

"I would like to reiterate that the commitments Russia undertook two years ago to protect South Ossetian, Abkhazian, and Russian citizens were not easy ones, and the subsequent two years have proved that they were necessary," Medvedev said.

More

What is to be concluded here is that in keeping with the previous meeting with Abkhazia's leader and the positioning of the S-300's, Medvedev sends a message to Saakashvilli should he have designs on South Ossetia and Abkhazia once more: Don't try anything stupid.

Earlier, on the 8th August, two year anniversary of the war, Medvedev visited Abkhazia:

“Recognition of Abkhazia and S. Ossetia prevented bloodbath” – Medvedev

From the link:

“Recognition of Abkhazia and S. Ossetia prevented bloodbath” – Medvedev

Published 08 August, 2010, 19:27

Edited 09 August, 2010, 19:27

During his visit to Abkhazia, Russia’s President Dmitry Medvedev met with Russian tourists and discussed the 2008 Georgian-South Ossetian war and Russia’s subsequent recognition of Abkhazia and South Ossetia with them.

Hundreds were killed and thousands displaced when Tbilisi attacked the republic with artillery and tanks two years ago.

Moscow sent forces to protect the people in the area, many of whom were Russian citizens. After five days of bloody battles, the Georgian troops were pushed back to the border.

Following the conflict in South Ossetia, Russia decided to recognize the independence of the republic, as well as the neighboring region of Abkhazia.

“The decision Russia made after the military conflict wasn’t an easy one. But time has shown it was the right move. The existence of the Abkhazian and South Ossetian people was at that time under threat. And if those decisions hadn’t been made – the situation would have been totally different. We wouldn’t be drinking coffee here. Most likely there would be a lengthy bloody conflict,” Medvedev said. “We were right in our actions, managing to both save the people and prevent a bloodbath.”

He added that he was glad to see life changing for the better in the region, and promised that Russia would continue to help with the reconstruction.

The next step is likely to be the resumption of direct air travel to Abkhazia, which was stopped after Georgia's war with the republic in the early 1990s.

Link

Again, Medvedev, in talking about the reasons for Russia's intervention, appears to commit Russia to aiding South Ossetia and Abkhazia's future, another warning to Saakashvilli.

ROAR: Medvedev’s visit to Abkhazia “marks Russia’s presence in the region”

From the link:

ROAR: Medvedev’s visit to Abkhazia “marks Russia’s presence in the region”

Published 09 August, 2010, 15:49

Edited 09 August, 2010, 19:27

South Ossetia and Abkhazia have marked the two year anniversary of the 2008 conflict in the North Caucasus “with cautious optimism,” Russian media say.

As the two republics marked the anniversary of the 2008 conflict in the North Caucasus, President Dmitry Medvedev made a brief visit to Abkhazia on August 8. Speaking at the Russian military base in Gudauta, he said that “two years ago, Georgia provoked a bloody conflict, in which our citizens – peacekeepers deployed in South Ossetia and civilians – were killed.” He added that Russia was right in its actions, “managing to both save the people and prevent a bloodbath.”

South Ossetian President Eduard Kokoity said on August 8 that the republic did everything to avoid the worst scenario of events and only called to arms on the day of Georgia’s attack.

In South Ossetia, the authorities decided to avoid large-scale celebrations, Kommersant daily said. “Nothing in Tskhinval showed that two years have past since the war that brought independence to the republic.”

Meanwhile, Kokoity reported “sensational information” that several Latvian deputies proposed to consider the recognition of the former Georgian republic, the paper said. It is a necessary step, Kokoity stressed, adding that “some Western countries allow the Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili’s regime to feel its impunity.”

Medvedev suddenly arrived at Sukhum yesterday, Kommersant said, adding that “it was his first visit to Abkhazia since Russia recognized the republic’s independence.”

During his visit to Abkhazia, President Dmitry Medvedev “has marked Russia’s political and military presence in the region,” Kommersant daily said. “The president’s visit to Abkhazia is rather a political visit than a trip with a particular agenda,” a source in the presidential administration told Kommersant.

However, the visit provoked a tough reaction from Tbilisi, the paper said. The territories of Abkhazia and South Ossetia had been recognized as occupied ones by Georgia, the country’s minister for reintegration Temur Yakobashvili said. “Such trips will change nothing and they will not bring something positive to the region,” the daily quoted him as saying.

Georgia marked the 2008 events on August 7, but President Saakashvili was in Colombia on that day to attend the inauguration of the new president Juan Manuel Santos, the paper said.

Link

It looks like Saakashvili packed himself off on holiday to a sunny climate rather than stay in Georgia and face the embarrassment of the anniversary and be forced to think about the Georgians, South Ossetians, Abkhazians and Russians who died because of his actions.

On an anniversary in which he took his country into a disastrous war at the loss of many Georgian lives, he decides to flee to a far-off country instead. Saakashvilli is Saakashvilli I guess.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Lukashenko & Saakashvili merge in duet against Russia

Lukashenko & Saakashvili merge in duet against Russia

Published 16 July, 2010, 15:36

Edited 29 July, 2010, 01:11

President Lukashenko, having lost ground in Moscow, has now turned to the Kremlin’s foes and is enjoying warm relations with his former critic Georgian leader Saakashvili. What could be behind this sudden mutual love?

As a gesture of goodwill to Tbilisi or as a way to irritate Moscow, on Thursday evening the Belarusian state TV channel showed “Timely Interview” with Minsk’s new friend Mikhail Saakashvili. The main focus, quite predictably, was on relations between Russia and Georgia. Saakashvili accused its neighbor of “imperial ambitions” and claimed they cannot understand what Russia wants.

Many see the move as Aleksandr Lukashenko’s retaliation against a scandalous documentary – “God Father (Bat'ka)” – shown on Russia’s NTV channel on July 4. The film portrayed the Belarusian president as a fierce dictator, oppressing and disposing of his opponents. Shortly after that, RT aired its report on “Europe’s last dictator.”

Link

This seems to be Lukashenko's way at getting back at Medvedev for their falling out, but I can't see anything permanent coming out of this Saakashvilli-Lukashenko cosying-up.

Saakashvilli talks about Russia's "imperial ambitions". It does rather undermine his arguement when it was he who waged war on South Ossetia and Abkhazia two years ago.

Saakashvilli also talks about his concerns for human rights and press freedoms in Russia, which again is ever so slightly undermined by Saakashvilli's past history and the fact he once ordered a raid to be carried out on a Georgian television station in order to close it down, the fact that his new friend Lukashenko once said he would like to twist the heads of his political opponents "as if they were ducklings", and the fact Belarus is not exactly known for it's press freedoms either.

Saakashvilli should learn the adage that people in glass houses, should not throw stones.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Lukashenko IS a dictator.

Saakasvilli is borderline one too.

Hopefully they don't become allies or we could have some real trouble in that region.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I agree Vitchilo, and it's something to keep an eye on, but I think the relationship is temporary while Lukashenko is in a sulk with Russia.

ROAR: Small chance for Belarusian president to change “inconsistent tactics”

From the link:

ROAR: Small chance for Belarusian president to change “inconsistent tactics”

The Kremlin has accused Lukashenko of inconsistency on the issue of the recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as “the information war” continues.

The issue of the recognition of the two former Georgian republics has become another topic over which relations between Minsk and Moscow are deteriorating. President Dmitry Medvedev told journalists on August 3 that his Belarusian counterpart, Aleksandr Lukashenko, had promised “solemnly” to do everything in the shortest possible time to recognize the former Georgian republics as independent states.

Lukashenko stressed on August 13 that his remarks had been distorted. He said he had only noted that “it is not a problem for Belarus to recognize Abkhazia and South Ossetia. But I also enumerated all the problems that Belarus could have with the European Union, the US, and the CIS because of this,” Interfax quoted him as saying.

However, Russian presidential aide on international affairs Sergey Prikhodko said Moscow could make public “the transcript of a CSTO [Collective Security Treaty Organization] meeting that contains the Belarusian president’s words on this account…We could also publish Aleksandr Lukashenko’s other remarks, which might be quite interesting to both the Belarusian and international public,” he added.

Lukashenko back-pedalling over recognising South Ossetia and Abkhazia... well, he does not want to upset his new friend Saakashvilli now, does he?

And as for that CSTO transcript, it sounds interesting to say the least.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Saakashvili prepares for war with Russia

From the Link:

Saakashvili prepares for war with Russia

Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili has called on military top brass to build “total defense” and accused Russia of planning to “overthrow Georgian democracy.”

Not only has Russia not given up its “plan to control Georgia, but they are working intensively on that,” Saakashvili said, speaking at a meeting with army top commanders and senior Defense Ministry’s officials. The president said his assessment was based on Russia’s “rhetoric and information war carried out on daily, minute-by-minute basis against Georgia.”

The Georgian leader expects an attack of “the enemy force… from the ethnically-cleansed territories,” referring to Abkhazia and South Ossetia, recognized by Russia as independent states in 2008.

Saakashvili set the task for his military to “burn each and every square meter of the Georgian land” beneath an enemy if it decides to invade the country. For this, the country should develop not only armed forces, but also a civil defense system, he said. Defense of the country is “a matter for each and every citizen” and “each village should be able to defend itself,” he stressed.

Although Tbilisi had to cut military budget for 2010 because of the economic crisis, “money will be invested in education, training and the increase of professionalism,” Saakashvili said.

Meanwhile, the Georgian army is gaining experience in Afghanistan. The participation in the military operation in that country is important from a geopolitical point of view and it is “a good military school,” Saakashvili said. “We need experience, as we need total defense,” he added.

“Fear sees danger everywhere,” an anonymous source in the Russian Defense Ministry told Nezavisimaya Gazeta daily. “No one is planning to do anything against Georgia, unless its government repeats the cruel behavior it resorted to two years ago. The fruits of that mistake proved to be bitter for the Georgian leadership, and it should have learned its lesson.”

The president’s speech does not contain any real threat, believes Georgian political scientist Gia Khukhashvili. When speaking before the military, the head of any state tries to raise the army’s morale, because such are “the rules of the game,” he told the daily. And thinking of a military revenge against Russia is “simply illogical,” he stressed.

More

What we see in Saakashvili's ravings of Russian plots and threats are the age-old tactic of the leader of a country talking about an external threat, in order to solidify his rule and make him popular.

1984 warned about it.

Saakashvili talks of "ethnically-cleansed territories" whilst neglecting to mention it was he who fired Grad rockets on the towns and villages of ethnic groups who did not want to be ruled by him, while soldiers on his orders, carried out an assault.

A military revenge on Russia is "simply illogical" as the Georgian political scientist stated, but this is Saakashvili we are talking about.

Georgia expands military budget amid rising paranoia (Includes Video)

From the link:

Georgia expands military budget amid rising paranoia

Published 08 August, 2010, 10:21

While the Georgian people have set their minds on peace, their leadership is more concerned with war and has spent over thirty times more on its military budget than economic development.

President Mikhail Saakashvili is up in arms over his country’s defense capabilities.

“Each village should be able to defend itself. There should be small trained units in each village and each settlement, which have a certain number of arms, so that everyone can defend their own land,” Saakashvili said at the end of July.

Ever since the 2008 war in South Ossetia, the Georgian president appears to hold the belief that Russia is his country’s top enemy, claiming that Moscow still plans to attack Georgia and calling for full-scale militarization.

“If the enemy force decides to advance from the ethnically cleansed territories, each and every square meter of Georgian land should burn beneath them,” Saakashvili said. “That’s the task.”

The president's rhetoric has raised a number of concerns, not only in South Ossetia and the other former Georgian republic of Abkhazia, but even in Georgia itself.

Ucha Nanuashvili, Executive Director of the non-governmental organization The Human Rights Information and Documentation Centre, sees it as an attempt by the Georgian president to hold on to his authority, which has been severely shaken following the conflict of 2008.

“We expect that this campaign will be used to launch some kind of new incident, some new war with breakaway regions,” Nanuashvili suggested. “[Saakashvili] needs to keep his power, to survive, and war is the main way to do it. I think that’s the main reason.”

Writer and political activist Irakli Kakabadze also thinks that nationwide militarization should certainly not be Georgia’s top priority as it could have disastrous effects.

“This could lead to another war,” Kakabadze said. “This cannot be good for Georgia. [Saakashvili] needs to stop putting investment into militarization and start putting the money into education, civil society, and economic growth; it’s an everyday process.”

More (Includes Video)

Of course, this being the anniversary month of the 2008 War, tensions will be high, but sadly, Saakashvili's actions in the past and his behaviour now means we must not rule out the possibility of a new conflict.

Indeed, the fake reports on one of Georgia's main TV stations that war with Russia had broken out as reported here:

Georgia invaded, Saakashvili dead? False TV report causes panic

may have been, despite his later public distancing, an attempt by Saakashvili to test the reaction of the Georgian population in the event of a new war via the Georgian media. The Georgian people were not pleased upon learning that the new war reports were false. Indeed, they were terrified at the prospect of a new war, quite understadably so.

The reported warning by Ucha Nanuashvili, Executive Director of the non-governmental organization The Human Rights Information and Documentation Centre, that in order for Saakashvili to keep his power and survive is to wage war should serve as a warning to us all.

However, I simply can not envision that in the event of Saakashvili waging a second war, that there would be possibility of Russia allowing Saakashvili, a warmonger on their borders, to remain in power.

Indeed, with the ravings by Saakashvili that in the event of an invasion that "each and every square meter of Georgian land should burn beneath them", in other words, a scorched earth policy, I can not evision the average Georgian be best pleased having his home torched because of Saakashvili's orders, or pleased that once again, Russia had been brought into a conflict with Georgia.

Saakashvili, in waging a new war, may do so to create a national martyr myth status about himself against the mythical Russian beast.

The problem for Saakashvili if this is true, is that his wish to be a martyr may be granted, quite literally.

And it may be the Georgian population, the ones who will suffer, who once again will see him as having taken them into another devastating war, that Saakashvili will have to worry about.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Russia should really have marched to the capital and hang that son of a gun then have left.

Saaskasvilli is a piece of garbage and a dictator. What's worse... the US is still supporting him.

If he's stupid enough to kill Russians soldiers again, Russia will occupy the whole country this time.

Last time we nearly had WW3 because of that necktie eating brat.

Maybe Russia could send a few assassins to take out that bastard before he does something stupid.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
A further disturbing development in regards to this situation is this:

Terror attacks: blast in Southern Russia, dozens injured(Video)

From the link:

Terror attacks: blast in Southern Russia, dozens injured

Published 18 August, 2010, 08:24

Edited 19 August, 2010, 11:50

Police in Moscow are on high alert as authorities fear more terror attacks could follow a car bombing in Russia's Caucasus.

Police in Moscow are on high alert as authorities fear more terror attacks could follow a car bombing in Russia's Caucasus.

At least thirty people have been injured in a blast in the southern Russian city of Pyatigorsk. The Investigative Committee of the Prosecutor General's Office has qualified the incident as a terrorist attack.

According to local police reports, the explosives were placed in a car parked near a cafe.

The explosion in the bustling central part of the city damaged cars in the surrounding area and destroyed the cafe.

The street where the bomb exploded is one of the busiest, and is situated just five minutes walk from the local police station and administration headquarters.

Many believe scores more would most likely have died had it not been for a sudden downpour that emptied the usually busy street where the attack took place.

A Chechen militant Doku Umarov with links to Al-Qaeda is thought to be behind the blast.

Pyatigorsk is a small resort city in the North Caucasus, a cultural center of the region.

More (Includes Video)

and of course we have had the attacks in Moscow, and the attack last month on a hydropower station:

Two militants allegedly behind blasts at hydropower plant killed - police
(2 Videos)

From the link:

Two militants allegedly behind blasts at hydropower plant killed - police

Published 26 July, 2010, 00:02

Edited 27 July, 2010, 17:58

Police say the have killed two militants who allegedly staged the attack at the Baksan hydropower station in the Russian Republic of Kabardino-Balkaria, in which two people were killed and two more injured.

The militants were identified as Orshokdugov and Seyunov, and were both on the police’s wanted list. The men were armed with two pistols, grenades and other munitions and were killed after they resisted arrest, said a spokesperson for the local police.

On July 21, four blasts rocked the power plant, damaging three electric generators, while another bomb was found unexploded and subsequently defused. The explosive devices were reportedly equivalent up to 3 kilograms of TNT.

The blasts set the turbine room ablaze, with the fire spreading up to 250 square meters. The firefighters managed to extinguish it in the space of several hours.

The attackers, reportedly at least 6 men, murdered two security guards and beat up and tortured with knives two turbine room workers trying to find out the location of the control switches.

More (Includes 2 Videos)

Of course, the growing number of attacks in Russia are disturbing in themselves, but it is made even more disturbing when we remember the accusations that Russia made at the end of last year.

Terrorists trained in Georgia to attack Russia – official

From the link:

Terrorists trained in Georgia to attack Russia – official

Published 15 January, 2010, 13:17

Edited 12 May, 2010, 13:01

Terrorist groups are being trained in Georgia to launch attacks in Russia’s North Caucasian and southern regions, Russia's Deputy Interior Minister Arkady Yedelev said.

According to the official, the groups are being trained by foreign instructors at Georgian military bases. The ministry official didn’t clarify what nationality the instructors were. Nor did he accuse the Georgian government of being involved in the issue.

Yedelev said North Ossetia, Chechnya, Kabardino-Balkaria and Karachayevo-Cherkessia are being targeted by militants for “destabilization,” RIA Novosti reported.

He was speaking Thursday at a session devoted to the results of the North Ossetian Interior Ministry's work in the republic's capital Vladikavkaz. Yedelev called on local law enforcement agencies “to seriously take into account the increasing activity of structures and groups, including radical religious ones.”

"Islamic clergymen who speak against religious extremism are now receiving more threats," he said. The deputy minister warned that the danger of attacks on imams would increase.

The threat of international terrorism is still present in Russia’s South, Yedelev said.

“Last year the North Caucasus region saw a 19% increase in the number of terrorism-related crimes, including bombings and armed attacks, or 637 such crimes," he said. In North Ossetia alone, there were five attacks on representatives of law enforcement agencies.

It is not the first time that Russia has voiced its concerns over Georgia’s link with militants. In autumn 2009, Aleksandr Bortnikov, head of the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) said Georgian special services were helping Al Qaeda members to wage terrorism in Russia’s southern regions.

More

Which leads us on to the next article originally reported in October 2009:

FSB accuses Georgia of links with Al Qaeda militants (Video)

From the link:

FSB accuses Georgia of links with Al Qaeda militants

Published 13 October, 2009, 21:00

Edited 24 December, 2009, 10:56

The head of the Russian Federal Security Service claims Georgian special services are helping Al Qaeda members to wage terrorism in Russia’s southern regions.

Speaking with the media on Tuesday, Aleksandr Bortnikov, referred to a surge in militant attacks in Russia’s southern republics according to Interfax.

“Bandits have returned to ‘suicide terrorist’ tactics. The number of armed attacks on law enforcement officers and public servants has increased.”

Since June, nineteen terror acts have been prevented in the region, with 178 militants eliminated or arrested, including an Al Qaeda member who coordinated attacks.

The head of the FSB went on to accuse Georgian special services of aiding the militants in Russia.

“Recorded audio reports discovered at militant bases point to the fact that they and Al Qaeda representatives have established contacts with Georgia’s special services, and they aided in training and transporting terrorists into the Chechen Republic’s territory,” and adding, “They also attempt to deliver weapons, explosives and money to commit sabotage at sensitive facilities in Dagestan, primarily at gas and oil pipelines.”

Bortnikov also reported that leaders of a local militant gang, suspects of the attempt to assassinate Ingushetian President, Yunus-Bek Yevkurov, in late June, have been killed in a firefight.

He also revealed that a suicide bomber was captured in Moscow in September, when an individual planning an attack scheduled for Moscow City Day was intercepted. Other members of the five strong group had been previously arrested.

More (Includes Video)

If the Russian Deputy Interior Minister and the head of FSB's allegations are true, then it may be that Saakashvili has already begun his war.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

It may not be just Russia that Saakashvili has to worry about if he starts something again....it may be the Georgian population he has to fear as well, enraged and frightened by the fact the he has once again, took them into another devastating war.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Another bombing in Russia... this time in the capital of North Ossetia...

IMO Russia is gonna blame this one on Georgia...

Bomb rocks Russia's south

At least six people have been killed and dozens injured as a powerful car bomb attack hit the central market in the southern Russian city of Vladikavkaz.

Reports say the explosion was so powerful that it damaged nearby buildings. Preliminary reports suggest that the bomb's force was equivalent to 10 kilos of TNT.

Will this be the casus belli?

UPDATE : Now up to 14 dead and 80 injured...

edit on 9-9-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Another bombing in Russia... this time in the capital of North Ossetia...

IMO Russia is gonna blame this one on Georgia...

North Ossetia borders South Ossetia....it would not be beyond the realms of possibility for Georgia, or rather Saakashvilli, to be behind it.

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Will this be the casus belli?

UPDATE : Now up to 14 dead and 80 injured...

If there's one pearl of wisdom that has stood the test of time in foreign relation and diplomatic terms, it's this:

Don't ever, ever, irritate Russia.

Especially when it comes to thinking you can kill their people, be found to have been involved in their deaths, and thinking you can get away with it.

If Saakashvilli is behind it, and is stirring the pot in the Caucasus, he is signing his own death warrant.

The easy thing to imagine would be for Russian tanks to roll into Tbilisi, but there are various other ways of ridding the region of a troublemaker with the same 'final' effects, and I'm sure Russia have invested time looking into these options as part of their national security priorities.

Putin and Medvedev are ex-KGB. This stuff comes naturally to men formerly of their profession.

Saakashvilli, the trouble-making, grandstanding nationalistic dwarf, if he has a hand in these bombings, is biting off more than he can chew here.

Surely there's people around him telling him "Look Mr Saakashvilli, I don't think upsetting Russia is a great idea."

Unless they are too scared of speaking out. Or too niave.

The question we have to ask if Saakashvilli is indeed behind the recent strife in the Caucausus is this:

Did surviving the war of 2008, that he waged, merely embolden him? Does Medvedev regret not sorting out Saakashvilli once and for all in 2008?

edit on 9-9-2010 by Regensturm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Poland seeks stronger US military presence

Yeah great idea to piss off Russia.

'The greater the presence of our allies in our country, the greater Poland's security,' Klich told reporters.

What kind of stupidity is this? YA THINK RUSSIA WILL ATTACK POLAND? IF THEY DO IT'S WW3.

More US soldiers in Poland won't do squat for security, it will actually worsen it.

Now I know why Stalin and Hitler didn't want Poland to exist...

Kidding, a few people from my family are polish...

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
NATO backs Georgia membership bid

NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen has reaffirmed his support for Georgia's bid to become a member of the Western military alliance.

"Georgia will become a member of NATO, provided of course that Georgia fulfils the necessary criteria," the NATO chief said during a press conference in Tbilisi on Friday, a Press TV correspondent reported.

Are they insane?

Georgia is run by a maniac, they torture, they are not a free society but they sure as hell are licking NATO boots.

Disgusting and dangerous. At least for now Germany and France are the only ones keeping Georgia from joining...

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Here's the wikileak reports about it...

GEORGIA CLAIMS
TO CONTROL MUCH OF SOUTH OSSETIA, FIGHTING CONTINUES

This one clearly shows that Georgia attacked first.

RUSSIAN BOMBS
FALL THROUGHOUT GEORGIA

RUSSIA-SOUTH OSSETIA SITREP 2 AUGUST 9

Interesting read.

<< 326  327  328    330  331  332 >>

join