It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia/Georgia Situation News & Updates

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Makes you wonder... can this be the start of the end days

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
this is a what the world is,and always has been.I hope the fighting will end peacefuly but i doubt it.It is very disheartning to hear all the people with the US in the frigin mouths,the superpower is always the the so called cause of everything,BS.the georgia military have free will just like anyone,they dont have to follow anyones orders.If cuba wanted to be part of the us,and russia didnt want it to be,would we be for or against cuba being part of the us?for i would think.As for the us supposedly being the puppet master,lol,thats just dumb.The repercutions of the choice the georgians made is far worse then any repercutions of not going along with america.when the soviet union broke,why did these regions become anixed,was it becuse THE WANTED TO BE THERE OWN COUNTRY!
so ya they have to fight for that,we as americans have helped every country that asked for help,shortminded people seem to forget even in iraq,the first gulf war was on the beheist of the iraq people,and we failed becuse we left without outsing saddam.
All im saying is the anti us sentiment is propaganda,the us is the greatest country on earth at the moment,but we cant even control or energy,so dont act like everything is the usa's fault becuse thats BS.Any country that wants a democracy us as america has a obligation left by our founding fathers to help them period.in the end no matter what outside influence,it is always the leader of the countrys call on what he will do not some puppet,these are real people they can say no and yes like everyone else.
STOP BLAMING AMERICA FOR THE WAY THE WORLD HAS ALWAYS BEEN.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Well lets get some info in a thread of a lot of speculation. Such as the Georgia Air force, with military personnel of 1800, 22 aircraft and 11 helicopters of different type and 380 air defense missiles of the "surface-to-air' class. Now that information isn't really backed up by a whole lot of links but here is a bit more if you want to look into what is really involved here. From images I've seen the GAF has Mi-24s and Frogfoots and what appears to be an alpha jet version of sorts.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rentor
same.. i mean this conflict is half of deaths of Iraq war already

Hmmm... from what I've heard there's been over one million deaths in Iraq. And counting only a fraction of deaths due to a war is not total casualties in a conflict...

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Lots of insiders with detailed information about whats going on here:

www.militaryphotos.net...

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Willbert

Originally posted by Rentor
same.. i mean this conflict is half of deaths of Iraq war already

Hmmm... from what I've heard there's been over one million deaths in Iraq. And counting only a fraction of deaths due to a war is not total casualties in a conflict...

I was only comparing it to American deaths.this was few hours now and that war has been years lol

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
talking about it on MSNBC news now on TV

[edit on 8-8-2008 by Rentor]

[edit on 8-8-2008 by Rentor]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
www.vesti.ru...

^^ russian peacekeepers stopping an Abhazian column from entering the fighing

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
www.vesti.ru...

^^ russian peacekeepers stopping an Abhazian column from entering the fighing

Thanks. I watched the video in full. The Russian officer is a good spaker, actually.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

here a good summary of it so far

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Quote:
A Russian Peacekeeping fighter attacks Georgian position near the city of Tskhinvali, 100 km (62 miles) from Tbilisi, August 8, 2008. Georgia's interior ministry said three Russian jets entered Georgian airspace and "dropped bombs" at two locations just south of breakaway South Ossetia, where fighting raged on Friday.

Quote:
Georgian tanks move along a road near the city of Tskhinvali, 100 km (62 miles) from Tbilisi, August 8, 2008. Georgian troops, backed by warplanes, pounded separatist forces on the outskirts of the South Ossetian capital on Friday hours after launching an assault on the breakaway region following a short-lived truce.

Quote:
Georgian soldiers sit in a truck near a settlement of Ergneti, 95 km (59 miles) from Tbilisi, August 8, 2008. Georgian troops, backed by warplanes, pounded separatist forces on the outskirts of the South Ossetian capital on Friday hours after launching an assault on the breakaway region following a short-lived truce.

Quote:
Georgian troops fire rockets at a South Ossetian separatist territory near a settlement in Ergneti, 95 km (59 miles) from Tbilisi, August 8, 2008. Georgian troops, backed by warplanes, pounded separatist forces on the outskirts of the South Ossetian capital on Friday hours after launching an assault on the breakaway region following a short-lived truce.

Tons more pictures here:
www.militaryphotos.net...

[edit on 8-8-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Russia has went to far now attacking a US ally If President Bush is the man I think he is he will come to Georgia's Aid.

If the Russians think they can get away with this nonsense and America will stand Idly by just because we have two small skirmishes going they can think again.

It's time America opened some Whoopass on the commies yeeha.

This has really made my day.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shamanator

This post, I must say, is unparalleled in its sheer stupidity. First off, Russians are anti-communists last time I checked. Second, cheering for a tragic war between the US and Russia is beyond retarded.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shamanator
Russia has went to far now attacking a US ally If President Bush is the man I think he is he will come to Georgia's Aid.

If the Russians think they can get away with this nonsense and America will stand Idly by just because we have two small skirmishes going they can think again.

This has really made my day.

You need a clue. Let me help you out since you obviously haven't read what has happened. Georgia attacked a state that was trying to break away and join Russia. Russia is helping that state. Georgia started it, Russia is going to finish it. It has nothing to do with the US.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
This is from Sky News:

REUTERS: Georgia to now withdraw its 1,000 troops from Iraq to redeploy in Georgia.

Looks like the Georgians are expecting a big escalation in the fighting, perhaps?

[edit on 8-8-2008 by chips]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Please Stick to the Topic

I understand how this current situation can get heated, many of you here have been on either side of discussions on how this conflict could have gotten to this point.

Feel free to start a new thread if you want to take the conspiracy angle of who may or may not be involved in this current situation, just keep this thread for actual news on the current situation.

Also the personal sniping must cease, it is unneccesary and further examples of this type of posting will result in point deductions and warnings.

I thank you for your cooperation.

ed:sp

[edit on 8/8/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
So if for example lets say there are a big majority of american citizen living in a region in mexico , then the mexican government attacks them and begins ethnic cleansing it is not ok for the US to intervene?

[edit on 8-8-2008 by TheOracle]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Willbert

well, you would be totally friggen wrong, unless of course you are looking at extremely biased news sources (anti-american sources)

about 100,000-300,000 Iraqis have died (both enemy combatant and civilian... it's war get over it)

and im not sure exactly how many american soldiers but last time i remember checking it was like 5k? (correct me if i am wrong, cause i may very well be.)

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
So if for example lets say there are a big majority of american citizen living in a region in mexico , then the mexican government attacks them and begins ethnic cleansing is it ok for the US to intervene or not?

[edit on 8-8-2008 by TheOracle]

There has been, to this point, NO definitive evidence of ethnic cleansing. Actually, most of the reports we are getting right now are skewed or wrong or propoganda or whatever.
The fog of war has descended on the region. We will not REALLY know what the heck is going on there for a day or so (my guess).
We are jumping the gun by screaming ethnic cleansing or WWIII.

Obs out

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join