It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Outstanding category/banner

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
In tinWiki, there exist two categories that label articles that aren't quite good enough, yet, in this or that way. The categories I'm thinking of are "Stub", for short articles, and "Fix", for articles that have problems with formatting, factuality or other. But a new category also exists, which I think is very important, and that is the "Outstanding" category. I really think it's good to put some extra focus and honor on the best there is in tinWiki.

A short article is good to mark, since it helps potential contributors who are looking for something useful to do find the articles that need expansion. Same with an article that has errors. Of course, it's always good to post in the article's discussion and explain why, if one puts the Fix banner on an article.

My thought about the Outstanding category, however, is that it's like an award, and that to keep it something special, and to try and create a kind of 'quality ensurance' mechanism or such behind the awarding of the banner and categorization, I propose that inclusion of an article into the Outstanding category (and awarding of the banner) gets done only after a decision is made collectively by sysops. There aren't too many sysops right now, of course, but a thought for later could be that either a certain number of sysops, or a certain percentage of the sysops, were part of making the decision. Deciding wouldn't necessary mean like a formal vote or that type of thing. Just talking a little bit to reach some kind of conclusion might be enough. Decisions could be made on some kind of schedule, for example every other month, or something like that. Inbetween decisions, people who want to suggest candidates could then use this nomination page.

To just sum up: what I'm thinking is the point of an Outstanding award is that it should be something special, and for it to serve that function, I feel more than one individual should be behind putting up that award, since it's supposed to be like an official tinWiki quality stamp.

How does this idea come across?

Optimist

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I understand, i agree too. From now on i take it, it will have to be agreed by myself, you and WOS.

Fox

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Fox,

That Outstanding category and banner 'thing' has basically just been sitting there since quite a while and hasn't really been used, which I'd say is sort of a pity. There may be several ways of going about the whole thing, but at least my personal thought is some kind of jury decision, or something like that, is appropriate. That's just my personal view, though. And I understand it sounds sensible to you, also. Now it'll be interesting to hear if WOS has some input.

Really there are a fair amount of people who are officially sysops in tinWiki, but, as you seem to point out, among them it's basically yourself, WOS, and I who show up here regularly. So it seems any kind of decision in tinWiki made among sysops, in practice is made by you, WOS and I. Anyway, what the policy should be for the Outstanding category is naturally something it could be good to hear WOS' view on, as well, so I think maybe we should wait for that.

What do you think of the visual look of the banner itself, btw.?

Optimist

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I agree with you Optimist, it is a shame that we haven't given this initiative the attention that it deserves. That being said I think that this is definitely something we should start working on. Perhaps we could look at a nomination, and then discuss it on the talk page of the nomination page you created. I do like the idea that we are honoring articles that are outstanding. Maybe we can even offer a point bonus as a sort of reward to anyone who gets a page made into an outstanding contribution. I think it would also be nice if we made a page where outstanding articles were given a brief discussion and perhaps a short paragraph or two on what makes it outstanding, on the special page. The summations would have a link to the article in the table.

As for the banner itself, I like the way it looks, and it stands out. Just an idea I had, perhaps we could get an image of a trophy or something to put in the banner. I may be able to provide some different images to choose from, I will post them here later when I have had a chance to go through my clipart program.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Here are some trophy images. If you want to use one, I can resize it, flip it, change the background color, anything you'd like.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I think that the current banner is fine, i like it. So should we just choose a article we like then put it to a vote among our selves, how about it needs all three of us to say that it is in, not just 2.

Fox

new topics

top topics

join