It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War in Georgia

page: 35
<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by rogue1

It wouldn't be the first time that such a thing happened but some evidence would go some way towards proving it.

Stellar

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Abkhazian troops have started an operation to squeeze Georgian troops out of Kodori Gorge. The information was confirmed by the Georgian Defence Ministry, which said the operation was launched at 0600 Moscow time on Tuesday.

Abkhazian Foreign Minister Sergey Shamba said that, before Tuesday, the Abkhazian Air Force and artillery had been delivering missile and bomb strikes on military targets in the upper part of the Kodori Gorge. Units of regular troops and reservists of the armed forces of Abkhazia are taking part in the operation on Tuesday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

RussiaToday

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
something that doesnt make sense to me...
Georgia has offered so many cease-fires and Russia supposedly is willing to agree.
Why would Georgia break its own cease-fire and continue to attack a country that could wipe them out in a few days?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Breaking news:

Russia's President has called for an end of all military operations in Georgia. BBC have confirmed the story - seems the war is over.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Breaking news:

Russia's President has called for an end of all military operations in Georgia. BBC have confirmed the story - seems the war is over.

Do you already have a written source about this?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

No, not yet.

But the BBC has confirmed it. Go on their website and watch it live. However, Russia's representative to NATO couldn't confirm it live on air, but the BBC have contacted the President office and the military operation is over.

No word if the troops will be withdrawn.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
News tip: Russia ordered for a ceasefire.
Journalists die from bombings, journalist vehicles attacked in central square of Gori

Now on to my post.

I am surprised that no one cared to mention something like the following:

Since Georgia IS a puppet for US, that is undeniable, where was USA all this time when Georgia was preparing these events?
Some will say US was right there training Georgian troops.
Also US should have made a precise estimate of a situation where Georgia was to attack South Ossetia with full force. US should have been prepared to stop Georgians having their asses handed back to them, because this is what really happened. Not to mention that 2000+ lives of South Ossetians would have been spared in the process.

Clearly US sat on its ass doing absolutely nothing. Some will say that US was complicit too.
Are we to believe that US intelligence were so stupid that could not foretell what Georgia was about to do? Of course not! Unless US wanted this for one way or another to happen! Unless there were the ones that gave the actual order, this explanation IMO seem much more logical..

Now we are in the after math where Georgia has literally committed suicide with their irresponsible actions.
If i was any member of the ex USSR now US allied countries in Caucasus I would not fear about Russia. but about the US. What if US with one way or another is pushing the weak and undependable leaderships of those countries in to a total war against the Russians?
An idea that is worthy of examination IMO.

I also see increasing number of posts that "advise" that US should confront Russia.
Should I be at awe with the average American naivety displayed in these posts or not?
Who would think that an US Russian confrontation would be a piece of cake?
Imagine such an escalation that undeniably would drag every Caucasus/easter Europian central Europian nation in an this conflict, also imagine the Balkan states drawn in this conflict. Now lets ponder, US with their diminishing economy would be how much of a market for China? The same goes for roughly the rest of Europe and every involved non Europian country. How many think that China actually would stand still and watch while their profits go down, with fuel prices reaching the sky and not make any moves to secure whatever resources and status it would have been left for them to secure? We surely do not expect 1,5 billion people just stand and watch till hunger and poverty strike them down can we?

Anyone who wishes to re examine the "lets just invade easter Europe and kill the bad bear" option is free to do the math.

Read the following and see for yourself how effective the late US policies were even for a place US has stationed half their army:

US sends more arms to Georgia – Israeli media
The United States is sending fresh supplies of weapons to Georgia from its base in the Jordanian port of Aqabah. That’s according to the Israeli newspaper – Maariv.

The paper says the US began flying weapons from the transport hub on Saturday.

According to Maariv, the US is hiring Russian-made freight planes belonging to UTI Worldwide Inc. to transport arms and ammunition to Georgia. The paper says the Pentagon is redirecting supplies to Tbilisi that were earmarked for Iraq.

The Aqabah terminal is used by the US to supply troops in Iraq. The American military relies on the hub mainly because it’s safer to use Aqabah than Iraq’s own ports in the Persian Gulf.

Georgia stocks a wide range of weapons from many sources. This is a strategic move in case Russia were to block off the channels through which it gets its military supplies.

Even ports guarded by the US are not considered safe! What the hell have you been doing all those years in Iraq? Why are these ports still not safe?
I believe that being a citizen in any of the ex USSR now pro US Caucasus countries should not be considered safe anymore. Hell I have evebn start to believe that US allies in the Balkans are not safe too! Russia also wants a rollback for the Kosovo status, they are saying this left and right.

US you have let everybody down!

[edited for typos]

[edit on 12-8-2008 by spacebot]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
The Russian Foreign Minister has said Russia does not trust Georgia and his nation will never to speak to Georgia again. Moscow is giving, yet again, warm words to the European Union. The French President has been praised and Russia will listen to the EU's offer.

As I said at the start, Russia will not hold any talks with Georgia - so who knows what happens now.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Aside of the confirmed cease-fire there's this line:

(From Russia Today's article about the end of the military operation)

Medvedev also ordered the Russian military to “eliminate the aggressor” in the event of Georgian forces resuming hostilities.

All it takes is one more shell..

[edit on 12/8/08 by -0mega-]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by -0mega-

In other words, Russia will not withdraw their troops.
As you said, it will only take one silly mistake by Georgia and the war will be back on.

I'm not sure we've seen the end of this.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by maloy

www.guardian.co.uk...
hopefully this is the ending of this situation Maloy,for the time being anyways...i take my hat off to russia.They have dealt with this situation very well and efficiently.Although that is what i expected...its just ashame that this georgian regime is still in power

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I advise to look and read!

rapidshare.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacebot
I also see increasing number of posts that "advise" that US should confront Russia.
Should I be at awe with the average American naivety displayed in these posts or not?
Who would think that an US Russian confrontation would be a piece of cake?
Imagine such an escalation that undeniably would drag every Caucasus/easter Europian central Europian nation in an this conflict, also imagine the Balkan states drawn in this conflict.

The neocons, like Hitler, believe that existence is one long war, interrupted by a few ceasefires now and then, allowing for arms and manpower to be replenished. They also, like Hitler, believe in the class system. The upper class will decide policy, the middle class will implement the policies of the upper class, and the lower class will execute it, dying for their masters in congress assembled. This coincidentally is the 'natural order' according to some religions, so this is perceived to be divinely inspired.

These traits are, ofcourse, almost all of the important parts of fascism. The only thing that is really lacking is the taking over of the government, by business....

Now lets ponder, US with their diminishing economy would be how much of a market for China?

...There it comes. A diminishing economy is the perfect excuse to funnel much more borrowed money into the military industrial complex.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
AP and Skynews:

Villages in Georgia are currently being bombed. Oh well, that lasted long. Eye witness has also confirmed 135 Russian vehicles heading to Khodori Gorge.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
AP and Skynews:

Villages in Georgia are currently being bombed. Oh well, that lasted long. Eye witness has also confirmed 135 Russian vehicles heading to Khodori Gorge.

Seriously?? Have we any more links? Did Georgia break the ceasefire or did Russia just lie?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Yossarian

BBC is reporting this too.

I do not believe the story is up on their respected websites, but the AP has confirmed Russia is apparently turning its attention to the other break away province.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
end of war....i thought that this wud be a start to wwIII..hehe..america and nato backin georgia..iran n russia together..
well russian president did announce halt..but still the army is movin in..maybe to tbilisi..whu knws?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I've been slowly reading through this thread over the last day and a half (between work and kids I don't have time to just sit down and read it through in one sitting) and I have to take my hat off to Maloy and infinite. They have done a fantastic job of reporting the news that we aren't generally seeing in the states.

I just hope this situation doesn't spiral any further out of control. While I'm not particularly a fan of NATO or the UN, I think they should get off their duffs and get some peacekeepers into the region. I think both Russia and Georgia would think twice about bombing and shelling if there were members of those organizations in the region. I really don't want to see any further loss of life, no matter who is to blame.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Well, Its over
I would like to thank all the over-reacting WW3 callers for thier role in this and for letting me do this ...
I told you so
Yet again WW3 has been called on a situation that has no grounds for it and alot of people were roped into uneeded worrying and making themselfs look like jackasses
Well now id like to hand you all a big nice cup of the hell up,
And please be a little less over reactive next time

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
NATO have issued a statement;

Position on Georgian membership hasn't changed and Russia hasn't done enough to end the conflict - NATO wants Russia out of Georgia.

new topics

top topics

<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join