It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it wrong to look into other spiritual directions when raised in one particular faith?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I was raised in your run of the mill fundamentalist church (and no, I don't wish to say what faith out of respect).

But recently I've been wanting to explore other faiths and religions. When I speak about this to others in my faith I'm chastised and given the "riot-act". I'm told that I'd be seen along the lines of a heretic (so to speak). So if I werew to continue, I'd probably be 'cast out' as "one rotten apple can ruin the whole barrel".

One of the things that runs through my head is this scripture:

1 Peter 1:7 (King James Version) King James Version (KJV)

"That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ"

And also:
Jesus told the Jews of His day, “Search the Scriptures, . . . they are they that testify of me” (John 5:39).

Lately I feel that unless I search elsewhere, that my faith will continue to wane.
Every religion claims to be "THE ONE AND TRUE FAITH", so am I wrong for wanting to explore other faiths?

[edit on 7-8-2008 by Wingz]

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
What a wonderful question. I will say no to start with. I think searching can only help to help you find you truth. For years leaving Catholicism felt wrong and evil but to me that was society talking through my mind. Now I am not attacking Judeo-Christian ways I am just saying for me it was the best move. On the other hand, should you try to leave you may find that you bolster you current beliefs and the crisis of faith will end.

Great topic and when I wake up I will happily post more.

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Well put.

I think many people go through what you are going through. (I did)
Go out and explore. You don't have to leave your church tomorrow. Just go for a swim in the spiritual waters.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   

But recently I've been wanting to explore other faiths and religions.

Why would you discuss other religions at church?
Do you have any friends? If you do, ask them to invite you to their church.
I did that for years, going to different churches with my friends.
If I met someone or knew someone at work and they ask me to visit their church, I would be there, that week.
I would advise you to get away, whatever way you can and as often as you can, out of your church.
As long as you are going to a church, people should have no reason to criticize you.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
What upsets me so much about ANY religion is the easily shaken ones. People who cannot even look at another religion. Why I ask...

Does it hurt you to and view another religion? I've been in temple, Catholic and christian churches, wiccan and pagan ceremonies, and bhudist meditations. I've seen Muslims perform their service. I gotta say...I am fine and I have learned a great deal of respect for those members.

If you are true to your faith then you shouldn't be knocked around so easily. If you aren't feeling so true, then fess up to yourself and have a look around. You could end up athiest, agnostic, pagan, jewish OR you could end up back where you started with much more fervor and stability and strength.

Be you....if being you means you claim Judaism, Christianity, Paganism, Muslim...who cares...just be you and make it a good you. That is all you can ever accomplish in this world. Make goals and work to achieve them. Love life and love the people around you.

I say go for it...check out the world that you haven't seen. If you go back to where you were before I can guarantee there will be one guy out here who will salute you for it.

Far too often have I seen people claim that you shouldn't be ignorant. What they sometimes mean is come learn about MY faith...don't be ignorant about MY faith.

And I would like EVERYONE to listen to this next caution. I am NOT picking on ANY faiths in this next statement. I have seen this in many faiths.

If your leadership is so hard up that you can't even view the rest of the world of faith...that to me is pretty much a cult

Kudos Wingz... doubt this will work but IF you ever feel like looking into the world of Paganism I will be happy to talk to you privately and should you decide I am out of my mind I won't have any hurt feelings.

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

But recently I've been wanting to explore other faiths and religions.

Why would you discuss other religions at church?
Do you have any friends?

I'm sorry I wasn't more specific.

I don't speak about this in Church (heavens no...). I was refering to my speaking to my friends that are also of the same faith. And I don't just blurt out "Hey, what do you think about me going elsewhere"? I have a little more 'smarts' than that...lol

But I do find it increasingly harder to discuss my situation with my friends for fear of them not wanting to hang around with me anymore. It's a "catch-22" in many ways (as far as I'm concerned).

I think I just need to do things more privately I guess and hope that I can do so with a clear conscience.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Well if your friends are going to 'cast you away' for searching elsewhere, then what does that say about the the message that jesus was trying to get across? Remember he sat with the taxman instead of with the church leaders (something like that).

A friend will always be your friend regardless what faith.

I have been through many faiths, and I have friends from all of them, scientologist, to budhist, to catholic, to muslim, it makes no difference, because we are friends for who we are, not for what we believe in

Go ahead and search, it will at least open your mind to what else is out there, then you can make up your mind, I've found what i've been looking for, and its a totally different road from where I started

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
think of it this way.

if you are a detective on a murder case, you strive to find the truth. the truth is more important than what religion you were raised in.

but keep that in mind when you search, sometimes people settle for a religion because is has perks or is "easier" or more politically correct. this doesnt necessarily mean its the truth.

also prepare yourself for other possibilities, like the truth may lead you back to your own religion that you had before. or that you might not like the truth.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by miriam0566
think of it this way.

if you are a detective on a murder case, you strive to find the truth. the truth is more important than what religion you were raised in.

but keep that in mind when you search, sometimes people settle for a religion because is has perks or is "easier" or more politically correct. this doesnt necessarily mean its the truth.

also prepare yourself for other possibilities, like the truth may lead you back to your own religion that you had before. or that you might not like the truth.

Nicely said

[edit on 8/8/2008 by Im a Marty]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Wingz

This is what I would have to think is the most extreme example of how I followed this practice of checking out religions that people would invite me to do.

I was at the San Diego Zoo and a Hare Krishna girl walked up to me and told me I should go to this temple.
A couple of her buddies started talking to me, too.
I told them I had read the Bhagavad-Gita and what I thought of it.
They said I was a devotee and I should definitely go to their service.
They served meals of Chapatee bread and rice and vegetables.
They evoked the presence of their god and when the person gave you the food they would say, "It was offered to Krishna".
I did not feel offended, even though it could be considered a sin.
In the Book of Acts, the Jesus people came up with this code of behavior to not eat meat offered to idols.
These people were vegetarians, so I figured I was safe.
I sat through the lesson study after the meal where the resident scholar read the verses in Sanskrit and taught the meaning of the verses and the moral lessons to be taken from the story.
I never felt my faith was in danger.
Some dude was there who jumped up and started screaming "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus" and was throwing accusations against there religion.
Some big men grabbed him and took him outside.
The whole thing was interesting and rather instructive.
I felt that God was blessing me, even though I was in the midst of the camp of the enemy.
So, do not be afraid and let God be your guide.
PS
to miriam: no, I can not read your signature, so I am not overeducated.
I had to look it up for a translation.

[edit on 8-8-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The first few times I was called a heretic, I was a bit offended - although i didn't know what it meant. Then I looked it up:

en.wikipedia.org...

The word "heresy" comes from the Greek αἵρεσις, hairesis (from αἱρέομαι, haireomai, "choose"), which means either a choice of beliefs or a faction of believers.

Hm... so heresy means to choose? So far so good...

Heresy is a value judgment and the expression of a view from within an established belief system.

ah, so you are only a heretic to someone that disagrees with you...

The more and more I looked into heresy and what it really meant, the more and more I embraced it.

To heretics, dogma is a bad word. To dogmatists, heresy is bad. I prefer choice over blind faith, and I came to appreciate being called a heretic in the first place, as it gave me the motivation to understand what the concept was about.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I appreciate everyones comments.

It seems to be warming my soul up and giving me more courage to stand up for my convictions, although at this time I'm confused as to what convictions I still have other than the pursuit of "truth".

I have to admit that my conscience still bothers me every time I think about or move in a direction of trying to find an alternate spiritual direction. I don't know if that is just life-long programing or something I've created, or something that God might be hitting me with (like his big finger).

I guess it's going to require "baby-steps" to make this happen, otherwise I'm going to have an emotional/spiritual meltdown. I know what ever my decision is, it will not only have repercussions with my family and friends, but also how I have to relearn to look through a different set of eyes, (if that makes any sense at all).

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

They evoked the presence of their god and when the person gave you the food they would say, "It was offered to Krishna".
I did not feel offended, even though it could be considered a sin.

A Christian is instructed to refuse any foods set before them if it was offered to idols.

1 Cor 10:27-29 If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake.
28 But if any man say unto you, This is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof:
29 Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man's conscience?

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I would even go so far as to say that if you DON't actively question the religion you were "handed" by your parents and society it is offensive to God because you are taking the word of others rather than seeking God yourself.

Seek God, spirit, the transcendental, etc. within yourself, first and foremost. Always. Ahead of all teachers, texts, and organizations.

This doesn't mean you have to abandon your faith...just that I think questioning is good and even necessary. If a faith can't stand up to scrutiny than why throw your belief behind it anyway?

new topics

top topics

join