It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Tired Of Self Proclaimed Skeptics!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
You may notice I have only been a member of ATS for a short while. So it may not even be my place to complain about this. I'm really tired of the self proclaiming SKEPTICS who reply with sarcasm rather then critical thinking.

This is no knock on true skpetics there plenty of good ones. I believe that they bring balance here at ATS. This is directed at those who choose to bash ones belief or threads without providing any logical evidence to back their own beliefs.
To those self proclaimed skeptics please stop posting garbage!

[edit on 7-8-2008 by TheHunted]

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
First off, I don't care if you have been here for just a day. I believe you have the absolute right to jump in so kudos to you as I have only been here a week now.

Any side, skeptical or believer who jumps to beligerence and ignores reason and proof isn't worth listening to. I really don't know how much else to say but in my opinion if you go straight to beliegerence I am very quickly going to turn to ignoring you. period...

Take pride in the fact that you are a person who tries to understand.

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Thanks so much for the support. It just an ashame how a few posters can really kill a whole thread because of ignorant remarks. Just because you are a non-believer that does not make you a skeptic in my opinion. Mad props to ATS though!

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
If you took the time to read between the lines sometimes, you may find that what someone says is sometimes not as important as how, when & why they say it.

Although ATS has the infamous "ignore" button, I personally prefer to read even the silliest, rudest and more confrontational posts from some of this forums amazing members.

Once you've been around the "ATS" block a few times, things will maybe fall into place and you will find your niche/s.

Tolerance and restraint are ONLY nessesary when you choose to persue something you don't like. You choose....fun and YOUR reality, or frustration and the unnatural willingness to believe or change what you cannot know?

I must confess....I AM GUILTY of sometimes replying with a sarcastic tone, but faced with some of the --fill in here-- threads and posts around, if I'm expected to take the subject matter seriously, I must question my whole belief system!

Not so simple eh? Sometimes this seems like a direct insult to me (or any member) and that is when the sarcasm or insults (not me!) begin. It's only natural.

So this "self confessed skeptic" is merely trying to offer alternative views and make the ATS experience fun too?

If it ain't fun...don't do it!

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to debunk or proove every conspiracy that interests or involves you.

Armed with the english alphabet and a 1.35 kilo lump of flesh you have until you choose to complete this mission.

If things should go wrong, we will of course deny all knowledge.

Have fun,

[edit on 7/8/2008 by nerbot]

[edit on 7/8/2008 by nerbot]

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

I do understand where you are coming from. There are some folks that are deserving of a reality check.

What bothers me are those who's sole mission is to trash ones thread.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheHunted

The only simple answer to that is don't start a thread unless the subject matter can stand up to ridicule, scrutiny and comments.

There's so many fascinating things going on here that I haven't started one in ages. There's enough to contribute to existing threads without "diluting" the "fuzz".

It's not about points, stars or flags for me, although the odd "applause" from staff is a positive boost, it's about saying what I feel at the time....good, bad, ugly, the whole ball of wax.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I think there are some skeptics that are here for the very reason hoaxers are here, for the attention.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Well said...

I agree completely that you shouldn't start a thread unless you are willing to have it be tested.

I love what nerbot said.

I am not here for ratings and crap. I didn't know there were any until I heard that. Should probably read the freshman forum more...oh well

I say what I say and I happy. Keep a thick skin too. Be like me! Don't care what they say about you an life will be smooth....

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I think there are some skeptics that are here for the very reason hoaxers are here, for the attention.

No, the "Hoaxers" are here for attention.

The skeptics are here because not everyone believes what they are told at face value.

Skeptics ask the right questions most of the time to reveal more truth and say what they say to get people thinking!

Agreed, Hoaxers are just after attention but the opposite of a skeptic is a "true believer", someone who sees something for what it appears and reinforces that point of view without questioning or recognising any doubts.

Skeptisism for me involves any and every possibility and the desire to point them out when confronted with ignorance.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Okay, I will clarify exactly what I mean. You have your skeptics then you have your wanna be skeptics. I believe I true skeptic applies logical thinking to each one of their replies with or w/o sarcasm. Too me a wanna skeptic bashes the thread with out providing any evidence in why he feels that way.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TheHunted

Then they are not a skeptic of any kind are they?

Do not expect compliance for the nature of this shared world to suit your independant world.

And don't get bugged by what you don't like here, you choose it remember!

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

The only simple answer to that is don't start a thread unless the subject matter can stand up to ridicule, scrutiny and comments.

I agree 10000%

Coming from a self-proclaimed (and sarcastic) skeptic: I feel like I'm wasting my time and effort by putting together a rational, thought out rebuttal / debate if the OP is obviously showing signs of close-mindedness, or if they are just copying / pasting things from google / etc.

Chances are, if you spend time putting together a serious post, you will get serious replies. Make a short post, or a post without backing anything up, you are setting yourself up for sarcasm, rhetorical questions and etc.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Bingo!

Another sarcastic, self-proclaimed skeptic here. There are some posts that do not warrant a thoughtful response. When someone makes 0 effort on a thread, they should expect 0 effort in their replies. And such topics like "Is Criss Angel Jesus Christ?" and "Kitten skull found on Mars" may require only one sentence to debunk the entire thread. People who make threads that insult the intelligence of ATS deserve everything that's thrown at them. I'm not saying be tastelessly rude. I'm just saying sometimes sarcasm is necessary. And if sarcasm hurts your feelings, get used to it.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I agree - claims that are honestly made deserve some help and inspection.

Just remember that each hoaxter derails people who are in the process of making good threads.

I got dumped off of some good JFK assassination postings which I still haven't gotten back to because of certain hoaxing attempts.

Now, I'm not claiming from god's lips to my ears, just that I'd rather be posting truths as best as I can understand than running around looking at exif data and matching time stamps and posting histories. Just don't think that's the best use of my time.

2 cents.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Okay, but does a thread that is clearly a hoax require 100 replies calling them out. All the responses basically promotes these people to keep on with the insane threads. Ive seen replies from people saying that they are wasting their time even replying to the thread. If you want to combat this type of stuff shouldn't you just ignore it and let it make its way off the front page. How many views or replies did the cat on Mars get? Way more then it should have I'm sure. A true skeptic will not waste their time on the obvious.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TheHunted

Well those threads are self-regulating and maybe people are still learning how to discern hoaxing?

But it's simple enough to not read the thread after you're convinced, right? Or are you requiring that others keep you from your penchant of enjoying those guilty pleasures? (teasing).

Note also it's often people with 100 points who log on to create drama and insult one or both sides who derail the thread, not long time posters.

I think what the regulars respond to is frustration at how obvious hoaxers seem to get away with T&C violations because, maybe, they have some other good threads in other forums. I mean if someone came out openly and said they're sharing their account and RATS access with another person (even in their household -and- they let that person post on an account not theirs, and without clear attribution do you think they'd not be banned immediately? It's puzzling though not for me to adjudicate)

2 cents.

[edit on 9-8-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Okay, but does a thread that is clearly a hoax require 100 replies calling them out.

I wouldn't worry too much about that, most times, the claims or evidence cracks quite quickly under scrutiny and a "blurt" of responses (even 100) can often put a hoax to bed with speed and definity.

Everything has a natural process, good and bad, to expect differently is just wishful thinking. You can of course speed things along.........

Maybe you should join the Threadkillers Anonymous Club. Very satisfying sometimes!

[edit on 9/8/2008 by nerbot]

top topics

join