It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LHCountdown.com has gone down

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I've just been trying to view the countdown timer for the Large Hadron Collider at www.lhcountdown.com. Usually, it's viewable without problems but now I either get an ISP search engine else a "This Page Cannot Be Found" error.

I've tried a proxy just in case the error is U.K related. Is anyone else able to access it?

Maybe they've already fired up and the thing's slipped into another dimension!

A Google search page for the timer brings up several links but none bring up the timer.

[edit on 7/8/08 by Rapacity]

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Rapacity

gizmodo.com...

www.scientificblogging.com...

heres two that worked for me

the majority of links to this didnt work though.

[edit on 7-8-2008 by pureevil81]

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I noticed that yesterday when I tried to go there I got an error stating the server had been disabled. These problems with the site only started happening once the 24 hour timer started counting down.

But now its completely down and im in the US, so its not isolated.

Maybe the government sent some DOS attacks so no one would be prepared?

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
No isn't working for me either, it was earlier today though I check it this morning. I think they had problems with server capacity being overloaded, they had a message about it a few days ago.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
The webmaster probably just decided he'd rather spend the last 24 hours partying or something just in case the world explodes.

Can't say I blame him I'd be a lot more confident of safety if it was an American project.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Or mabe its already been activated and thats why its not there anymore

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by altered_states

Activates at midnight tonight GMT, so 3 hours and 20 mins after this post. I don't think they'd deliberately take it down at the time when then most people would want to see it. Most likely bandwidth problems.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Yeah this has been happening to me, I started a thread about it a short while back, it's somewhere out there, but I think they're servers or something can't handle the traffic sometimes and they switch off access to certain regions... like Africa hehe. It's down for me now.

Either that or they take it down every time they restart it... which has happened three times already, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

[edit on 7-8-2008 by The_Modulus]

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shamanator
The webmaster probably just decided he'd rather spend the last 24 hours partying or something just in case the world explodes.

Can't say I blame him I'd be a lot more confident of safety if it was an American project.

I feel more comfortable if anything that this project isn't in the hands of Americans.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by GrooveCat

Yeah your probablys right Groovecat, its just my mind wandering into conspiracy mode again ha ha,I cant wait till midnight im stopping up for it to see if anything does happen.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Oh of course, gotta stay up for it! Even if we don't all suddenly descend into a black hole, which shouldn't happen (knock on wood), gotta celebrate mankind's biggest ever scientific experiment. This thing could have a huge impact in physics, cannot wait for some results.

I'd predict we'll be seeing some kind of output from this project by the end of the year, watch out for it y'all!

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
There seems to be a working countdown clock on their own site.

public.web.cern.ch...

Works for me.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Hmm that site gives a totally different date, but it's the official site so I assume it's correct.

Perhaps that other one was removed for being wrong? I was under the impression it was due to start up around now?

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrooveCat
reply to post by altered_states

Activates at midnight tonight GMT, so 3 hours and 20 mins after this post. I don't think they'd deliberately take it down at the time when then most people would want to see it. Most likely bandwidth problems.

Am I missing something? The CERN site says 33 days and 10 hours until startup.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

That was the time stated on the site we were talking about before it went down, but the CERN site is different... I suspect there may have been some mistakes in the works. Unless the original site was just referring to a warm up phase or something.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I m sure the one on the 8/8/08 was going to be a small test run and the real one would be some time later,But in say that I can not find anything about a test run now.

Can anyone else remember this.(or am I going crazy again!)

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I looked it up and it says....

"The initial particle beams are due for injection in August 2008 the first attempt to circulate beam through the entire LHC is scheduled for September 10, and the first high-energy collisions are planned to take place after the LHC is officially unveiled, on October 21, 2008"

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I would bet 1 of 2 things happened..

1. he took down the site for fear of ridicule..

2. he took it down for dramatic effect

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Reply to Blupblup

Ah, thanks for clearing that up!
If only we'd bothered to to actually look it up ourselves we could've saved a lot of time.

So I guess both sites were correct in their own way... what a happy ending!

[edit on 7/8/2008 by GrooveCat]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join