It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Election boxes easy to mess with.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Md. Computer Experts: 8th Grader Could Hack Diebold E-Vote Machines. 'It's Like They Didn't Bother' With Security

For a week, the computer whizzes laid abuse - both high- and low-tech - on the six new briefcase-sized electronic voting machines sent over by the state.

One guy picked the locks protecting the internal printers and memory cards. Another figured out how to vote more than once - and get away with it. Still another launched a dial-up attack, using his modem to slither through an electronic hole in the State Board of Elections software. Once inside, he could easily change vote totals that come in on Election Day.

"My guess is we've only scratched the surface," said Michael A. Wertheimer, who spent 21 years as a cryptologic mathematician at the National Security Agency.

Entire article
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This got me wondering. Why such a lack of security? Unless their can't be any form of security, so they are able to alter the votes easily?

Do you people really think you are electing your administration?

[Edited on 14-3-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
All of the major news networks and various other orginizations also conduct "exit polls."

what would happen if the results of the exit pols differed significantly from the actual vote totals?

In other words, it might be easy to stuff an electroning election box, but getting away with it may be a different matter entirely.

[Edited on 14-3-2004 by HowardRoark]

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark

In other words, it might be easy to stuff an electroning election box, but getting away with it may be a different matter entirely.

I bet that's where having big bucks comes in handy.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Really, this should come as no surprise. I believe the REAL purpose behind the snafu in Florida in 2000 was the get the American people to WANT a unified, computerized voting machine. It's not for our benefit, but for those who rule.

It is much easier to control the results. And, you wouldn't need to alter so many in one location that your exit polls would be affected. And, getting away with it---well, how would we really ever know.

I gotta give our govt credit for this one for pulling a fast one on us. And, please no fallout over the "Stolen" election. I'm sure it has been talked to death here.

top topics

join