It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a "Christ-Centered" marraige?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
What do you do in a Christ Centered marraige? How do you keep Jesus at the center?

...And how is this any different than what common sense tells you: If you wnat to stay married, you have to respect your partner, be faithful, compromize, ect?

I read that Christian marraiges end at the same percentage as non-religious marraiges. So, what is going on? Either there's a tremendous percentage of pretend Christians, or something isn't straight with this.

I think that is just euphamistic: I thinkt he church is trying to label common sense, and claim it as their own. Therefor you can label any failed marraige as one that didnt' follow God, instead of questioning the actions of the relationship or even the merit of marital unions themselves.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
yes, this is an easy one to answer.

A truly "Christ-Centered" marriage will not fail.

Therefore, yes, there are people that wouldn't know the first thing about their professed faith.

Lets see, my first wife a choir director at her church, Christian based marriage....she had a change of heart.

my second wife......Christian based marriage but she knew next to nothing about the faith.

Ahhhhhh, I got it! How many people say they are American? How many of these same people can tell you how many branches of government we have or can give you a single amendment or name more than 4 Presidents. The same goes for the Christian faith. I bet you 90% of Christians are that by name only.

I tell ya what. If you can find the stat for Lutheran pastor divorces, I would bet it falls far below the national average. (not saying they are the only Christ based marriages but it was the quickest example I could think of)

Now.....I don't know what your purpose is for this thread? How is this of any interest to you? Is there a real question? Are you looking for the secret to a successful marriage or something? I can give you that too.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Res Ipsa
yes, this is an easy one to answer.

A truly "Christ-Centered" marriage will not fail.

While I agree with this statement, the reason I agree is not because of "Christ" but rather because it is giving the couple the same vision (goal) to look at.

A marriage can have success if both husband and wife share the same vision for their life, be it Christ or other values and goals or the wife just lets the husband do the leading in the family. Christ does not have to be involved to have a successful and loving relationship (not that I have experienced such yet
)

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

Christ does not have to be involved to have a successful and loving relationship (not that I have experienced such yet
)

A truly Christ-based marriage is centered around the teachings of Christ (usually through the Bible, but inspired knowledge/wisdom can also play a part). It is true that any marriage where the partners are pulling toward the same life goals has a better chance of success, but I believe that by placing Christian values at the center, the chances of success are improved even further.

For instance, in my marriage, my wife and I have agreed to let the Bible be the arbiter many times. So we always have a solid written basis we have both agreed to. Hey, say what you want about the values presented in the Bible, but it has held my marriage together for 21 years and going strong.

I find it a bit ironic that you do not believe this can work, yet in the same sentence admit you have not yet been successful in this area yourself. I think it is indeed possible to have a successful and loving marriage without Christ, but also more difficult.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
I find it a bit ironic that you do not believe this can work, yet in the same sentence admit you have not yet been successful in this area yourself. I think it is indeed possible to have a successful and loving marriage without Christ, but also more difficult.

I did not say I don't believe it can't work, in fact I said the opposite. I understand what you are saying. I hold to many of the core values of christianity I just don't believe that a man was god.

I was not successful in my marriage because at the time, I had little learning experience in my life and the two of us were looking toward different goals (he wanted the single life and I wanted the family
).

I have not been married since because I have learned the lesson to not settle, but to choose wisely.

My children and I have a loving and happy home without Christ being the center of it (although again, I adhere to many of the core values)

[edit on 7-8-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

It means you only have sex for procreation .
meanwhile you just pray to Jesus no to get too desperate without it.

Just joking.

BTW I have been married for 27 years to a loving man and Jesus has not been sleeping between us and we had raised two responsible children to adulthood and the values we gave them have not attachments to God or Jesus.

My family is good example that love and good parenting no necessarily needs religion or Jesus.

We work out our own difficulties without middle Jesus or religion to help.

[edit on 7-8-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
...Either there's a tremendous percentage of pretend Christians, or something isn't straight with this. ...

I wish I could say otherwise, but unfortunately, it's the former.

There are a lot more than this, but basically the rules of a christian marriage are: 1) Husbands, love your wife like Christ loved the church, 2) Wives, obey your husbands, 3) If your spouse wants sex, put out. If you don't, and the spouse goes somewhere else because of it, on the day of judgment, the withholding spouse will be blamed. 4) Those believers that do not take care of family are worse than non-believers.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Wow...a good religious debate without violence in speech.

"If your spouse wants sex, put out. If you don't, and the spouse goes somewhere else because of it, on the day of judgment, the withholding spouse will be blamed"

I admit fully this is horrible. I have yearned for sex and my wife was not in the mood. If I'd have told her this, you'd be able to read my divorce preceedings.

I do not have Christ in my life and my marraige is fabulous.

(even surviving the military!)

-Kyo

top topics

join