It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Logging out: the Dark Side of ATS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by XIDIXIDIX
I got turned on to ATS from one of the brochures
>snip<
it was the content of the featured threads in the brochure that got me to get involved.
>snip<
keep a close eye on the ATS mini mags I had collected because people were always stealing them

Please excuse the absolutely gobb-smacked nature of my response... as it has no bearing on you.

But...

[size=10]HUH?

We've never printed or mailed any hard-copy brochures, magazines, or newsletters.

Could you clarify what you're referring to?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

While we could certainly "survive" with a lower number of ads, our aspirations for a broader audience through multiple media sources require capital, and right now, the ads are the only source. We're on the cusp of improved ads from higher-quality advertisers, and we've repeatedly indicate that when that happens, there will be fewer ads.

Thanks for clearing that up SO
I completely understand where you're coming from.

As an asside, I truly believe that you will attract far more people as well as develop are far better reputation if you go the Google or Time Magazine route, whereby you present a completely (well not completely) crisp page and attract people because you don't have advertising and because the page is easy to read and looks friendly.

I do not mean to sound pretentious, but as the site stands, few of the people I know would ever accept ATS as a legitimate source of information. This is unfortunate, and you may claim the onus to be on the reader to judge content rather than presentation, but this is simply unrealistic for the majority of people not familiar with the more 'alternative' avenues of the internet.

In academia presentation is important, and to me the best way to further the general aims of the conspiratorial-minded individual is retreive such discussion from the realms of 'conspiracy' and into the realm of academic research. I just feel that the site is preaching to the converted rather than doing the conversion.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Modulus

I do not mean to sound pretentious, but as the site stands, few of the people I know would ever accept ATS as a legitimate source of information. This is unfortunate, and you may claim the onus to be on the reader to judge content rather than presentation, but this is simply unrealistic for the majority of people not familiar with the more 'alternative' avenues of the internet.

In academia presentation is important, and to me the best way to further the general aims of the conspiratorial-minded individual is retreive such discussion from the realms of 'conspiracy' and into the realm of academic research. I just feel that the site is preaching to the converted rather than doing the conversion.

Peace.

Well I beg to differ, as it was the content, actual posts that we all read in the brochure that actually impressed me and many others I know. I have had plenty formal education and I think it IS pretentious to suggest this.

Yes it has a magazine kind of look and if one were to just look at the cover with all the weird threads running, I most likely would have passed on it however, if that is what you are talking about?

what got me to actually take a serious look was the bi weekly screenshots I saw of actual posts. They were all cherry picked of course but they were real people posting and the same posts were there.

The FOIA info and research teams all that was pretty impressive.

There are some very interesting, very intelligent people that come here and it is the people and their experience, resources to information etc, that makes this a very good source of information for anyone or as in my case anyone with a particular worldview wanting to see what the other worldviews are actually saying..

You show me a place where the conversion actually happens and Ill show you a site full of impressionable teenagers. In the real world I see that we just get stronger convictions affirmed but rarely does ANY place do any real converting via debunking etc. If you don't see it here you won't see it anywhere else either. That's just how people are.

Skeptic, I will get a hold of one of those mailers I know at least a dozen other people that liked reading them so I am sure I can still get a hold of one.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by XIDIXIDIX]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
hahaha I had to laugh so hard when I saw Bill's new avatar. Guess it's tough times in the land of ATS!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join