It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan says US sub leaked radiation for two years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
www.cbsnews.com...

AP) An American nuclear-powered submarine leaked radiation for more than two years and may have affected three Japanese ports where it stopped more extensively than initially thought, Japanese officials said Thursday, releasing a U.S. report.

On Aug. 1, the U.S. Navy notified Japan that the USS Houston had leaked water containing small amounts of radiation during three calls to the southern Japanese ports of Sasebo and Okinawa in March and April this year but caused no threat to people or the environment. The submarine also made stops in Guam and Pearl Harbor.

OUCH

no threat from a radioctive leak huh - bit like those fisherman who wernt in any danger when they were dosed in radiation....

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Keep an eye out for Godzilla!

I wonder how much it really was and if it has affected the seafood in the area. That could certainly piss off the locals since that is such a staple of their diet.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
LOL LOL LOL, Sorry ..but I cant help it ...this story is funny...leaked radiation...lol lol.

Any of you know what is wrong with this story?? Dont you answer it Schaden....you are disqualified!!!

There is something very wrong with this story and the reporter and news outlet who were editing it.

Leaking radiation...LOL LOL LOL....Textbook.

Orangetom

Post Script....sorry I didn't catch it at first...this is CBS News...the same Dan Rather bunch. My oversight ..I should have understood that in the first place. Nonetheless there is something wrong with this story. Something missing.
I worked on the Houston when she was being built here at Newport News.

[edit on 8-8-2008 by orangetom1999]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
ok orange tom - i will have a wild munkee guess

and ask :

what the hell leaked ?

i have no specific experise of subs / reactors - but i have worked on some medium size [ 3000hp ] MTU deisils - and the engine coolant is FRESH WATER + corrosion inhibitors etc - in a closed loop the raw water in the seachests never touches the engine

so what leaked

looking at the generic specs of a reactor design any coolant loss from the fresh water side would be instantly noticed

hows that for a stab in the dark ?

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
not bad..ignornat ape..not bad..

radiation ..when the source is shut down...the energy stops...If the source of the radiation moves..the radiation is no longer there..

What leaked is contaminated material..most likely liquids..yes..correct.

Keep in mind that I am located just across the bay from the Norfolk, Va Navy base where many submarines and nuclear aircraft carriers are ported. You mean this has never happened here..in more than forty years of operation??? Or at the shipyard where I work....just across the bay from the Navy Yard.

I can gaurantee you ..when you see a bunch of people out in boats around a submarine or aircraft carrier taking water samples...what does that make you think??

People are still fishing here...crabbing, clamming, oysterinig, etc etc. I am not just talking about right here....but also up at Bangor Washington, Down at Kings Bay Georgia, Honolulu, Hawaii, Guam etc etc.

The worst accident or spill if you like ..of the enviornment type around here that I can remember was back in the early 1970s with the discharge of a chemical Kepone from a plant up in or around Petersburg, Virginia. It killed millions of creatures in this river. You could see dead fish floating all across the James river and out into the bay. And that was just what you could see on the surface.

What they had on this boat was a leaky hull valve or a leaky shore valve or connection going over from the boat to the pier..where such contaminated liquids are collected in tanks to be treated and of which to be disposed.

The writers are promoting panic and fear in people who know little to nothing about this stuff.

The Japanese suffered more damage and injury from the Mercury poisioning which occured in some of thier factorys after the war. Birth defects too if I remember correctly.

One day ..I am waiting for someone to come out with the truth across the board about how dangerous these cell phone/pager towers are which are spriging up like wheat all across our landscape. They are transmitting alot of power in the low end of the radar bands. This cannot be good for people long term.

While you individual cell phones dont emit alot of power some people do keep them stuck to their head and ears for long periods of time or great percentages of the day/night. This cannot be good for people.

Nonetheless...the media is getting people fearful over something very small like this. Did they clearly state that there were dead fish/turtles etc all around the piers and in the harbor?? People falling over in their tracks..within 24 hours or less???

You get far more damage sitting in front of a television set for 4 hours.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
While you individual cell phones dont emit alot of power some people do keep them stuck to their head and ears for long periods of time or great percentages of the day/night. This cannot be good for people.

Why you say that? Last time we were exposed to radiation we developed eyes

Back on topic, how did the Japanese know how long it had been 'leaking radiation'?

top topics

join