It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BT injects life into its network

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Making life
At the ALife conference biologists, computer scientists, roboticists, and philosophers are debating ways to borrow ideas from life to either mimic it in hardware or software or create it from scratch. "If we look at the biological world, there is a huge amount of change, complexity, and adaptation," said former biologist Paul Marrow who works in BT's Broadband Applications Research Centre. "These artificial life ideas are a very useful source of inspiration as the products and services we provide become increasingly complex and demanding in terms of resources." One parallel is in the division of labour. The graphical interface users see on their computers is the result of many different kinds of tasks which may include processing, memory storage, encryption, or multimedia content. In the telecommunications industry, cleanly dividing these different tasks and distributing them across different parts of a network is called "encapsulating" and is analogous to the tasks allocated to different parts of a living cell.

What do you make of this?
Feed me, FEED ME!!

Rest of the article
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
LOL. I just posted almost exactly the same thing

I'm split on this one. Part of me thinks its cool, the other part thinks that it has some very sinister "terminator" aspects to it.

Need more information really, so I'm going to read the links off the beeb page and see where it takes me, which is all the fun of ATS, I guess

new topics

join