It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Behind the scenes: Internet police out in force for the Olympics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Behind the scenes: Internet police out in force for the Olympics

www.cnn.com

BEIJING, China (CNN) -- For many overseas reporters now in Beijing, covering the Summer Games has turned into an Olympian task.

We go through tedious security checkpoints to cover events and conduct interviews even as we deal with bureaucratic and linguistic barriers. But we face one particularly irritating issue: China's limits on Internet access.

Despite Beijing's earlier promise to allow open reporting and unfettered access to information, Internet access remains erratic and unpredictable. "It's so counter-intuitive to find the Internet restricted, even if only selectively," one western journalist told me in Beijing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that this was settled already. Now it seems the China is going back on it's word about "total access" again.

What are they trying to hide now?? Anyone???

Is it what the police will do to the protesters, by that I mean the brutality? First protests in Olympic history by the way.

Is it that the air quality, that they promised 7 years ago when they got the bid, still sucks.

What is it that they fear??? Awareness by their citizens??

I know that they have a different culture in China, but if you're hosting the world...you have to go along to get along.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

join