It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raising Kids Without Religion... A cop-out?

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Wow! I love this subject! Causes us all to think and even momentarily question our favorite paradims! Hence all the different answers and levels of thought. For me words fail to cover all of it. So just a piece or two...

Many people need a compass especially children and some never grow out of it. If you children don't need to hang on you for every direction, congratulations. Your lucky and / or doing great as a parent.
(Side note, love discussing if god is a "man or a woman" with folks struggling to hang onto their paradigm)

Uni's can be good and after all..... all religions say they are the "one and only true religion". Don't they? So one could say that the coming to understand that there is a god is the most important point and that the balance is just garbage we humans added for power,ego, etc.

Raised catholic and been more of an agnostic after seeing so much hipocrosy (and that was before all the pedophile preists came to light).
However, the ten comandments work REALLY well as a guide to life. For anyone. K.I.S.S.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

::shrug:: the only thing "god" (see: the corporation that is organized religion) wants is good little zombies that blindly believe the nonsense, and throw lots of money at it.

I think you're right for raising your kids that way. Kids get enough indoctrination from the government while they're in public schools, they don't need to be indoctrinated with religious nonsense as well. If i have kids, they will be deliberately kept away from all things religious, as much as i can see to, until they're old enough to utilize critical thinking, and form an opinion of their own.

It's not a cop-out, it's called good parenting.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Ok, here is my 2 cents. I have a lot to say on this subject, and though I would like to reply to many posts, I do not have the time for that. But here is a little tid bit off the top of my head.

Everyone talks about us forcing our kids to go to church and believe in our God. First, I can never force my kids to believe anything. Just as no one can force your kids to believe there is no God, I can not force my kids to believe He exists. I can however give them the tools to think for themselves. I do that. I teach them why I believe the way I do. I teach them also, why others believe the way they do. I believe that the Bible tells me to do this. It tells me to be ready to give a reason for the hope that lies within me. And, so that is the way I will raise my kids.

The proof that we can not force our kids to believe the way we do, is on this very website. Over and over again I see it. Both ways...those who were raised to not believe in God, yet do now. And those who were "forced" to go to church, and now do not believe.

Next, I must say, that I have no other option but to force my kids to go to church with me. If I don't then they are dictating my religion. See, none of my kids are old enough to stay home. So in order not to "force" what I believe on them, I could not practice my faith as I believe. Now, that seems to be giving my kids authority over me. Hmm, does not seem the right way to parent to me.

As I read these posts, there is so much more I would like to say, but I am going to hush right here.
Have a good day ya'll.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien

However, forcing your kids to believe what you believe is damaging to their psyche. I know because I have been through it. I still struggle with it everyday.

What will happen when the children grow up and find out that their religion of their parents are false? Disillusionment will result.

Believing what you believe is your personal choice. This includes the children.

This also applies to the concept of crystal/indigo children where kids are indoctrinated into this new-age way of thinking that has no basis in reality whatsoever. Please read my posts in the following thread regarding this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

-ChriS

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrGrieves
This is getting out of hand. Before this thread nobody was preaching anything, therefor I had no problems with anyone. As far as I can tell, the Christians in here aren't hurting anyone. As long as you don't bring your fantasy world on me, there's no problemo. I just didn't want these empty claims to effect the mother and child of which this thread was about. It doesn't seem like it's phasing them, probably because they are sensible, REALISTIC people, so I'm not worried about it.

I apologize for getting so heated over this. There's no need for such malice in this already doomed world.

With that said, goodnight.

This is nothing. You should see this thread..

Intelligent People Less Likely to Believe in God

-ChriS

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   

asmeone2 No you're not "copping out" you are going to let your children think for themselves and not be anyone or any system's puppets.

This "Religious Mom" is power playing on you and your children. ie: You will believe as I believe.

It's called indoctrination and doesn't teach one to openingly think. That's precisely why so many people are asleep in this matrix.

You're to be congratulated on allowing your children to think for themselves.

[edit on 9-8-2008 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlasteR
This also applies to the concept of crystal/indigo children where kids are indoctrinated into this new-age way of thinking that has no basis in reality whatsoever. Please read my posts in the following thread regarding this:

Where did you read this? I thought the words crystal and indigo were just labels for children who have recalled past lives, have deeper spiritual knowledge, etc?

I have never heard of anyone indoctrinating their children into becoming indigo children.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

I totally agree. I think that's just an excuse to be a lazy parent. (The same with 'unschooling.' I would start a thread, if you hadn't already!

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent

asmeone2 No you're not "copping out" you are going to let your children think for themselves and not be anyone or any system's puppets.

This "Religious Mom" is power playing on you and your children. ie: You will believe as I believe.

It's called indoctrination and doesn't teach one to openingly think. That's precisely why so many people are asleep in this matrix.

You're to be congratulated on allowing your children to think for themselves.

[edit on 9-8-2008 by ofhumandescent]

I don't think that she is consciously trying to do any of those things. I beleive that she truly thinks she is doing the right think by using what most of us here recognize as indoctrination.

I recognize that she needs her beleifs as much as I need mine and I'm not out to destroy hers. She had the right to raise me according to her beliefes but I draw the line at it extending to my own children.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus

::shrug:: the only thing "god" (see: the corporation that is organized religion) wants is good little zombies that blindly believe the nonsense, and throw lots of money at it.

I think you're right for raising your kids that way. Kids get enough indoctrination from the government while they're in public schools, they don't need to be indoctrinated with religious nonsense as well. If i have kids, they will be deliberately kept away from all things religious, as much as i can see to, until they're old enough to utilize critical thinking, and form an opinion of their own.

It's not a cop-out, it's called good parenting.
It isn't wise to confuse Catholicism with Fundamental Christianity.

Heve you ever heard of a little thing called "The Reformation"?

Catholic hierarchy is the Christian version of the Pharisees.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

They are atheists because they have not been shown proof that any god exists.

I understand that some atheists assert that there is no god. But again, atheism is usually reactionary.
Actually no, they are actually Agnostic, meaning they haven't been shown evidence sufficient enough to believe there is a God.

In truth, and you agreed, there actually is no logical way a man can claim that there is NO GOD. That knowledge can only be known by an entity that is omnipotent.

A person can claim to be an atheist, but also by default he is also claiming to be omnipotent, which is ludicrous.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
It says all men will be forced to worship the beast or th image of him or they will be killed.

It will mirror what King Nebuchadnezzar did in the book of Daniel. If they don't bow down they will be killed.

Yeah, so what happens to them? Will they go to hell for not bowing down to Satan?
It all depends if they have the savior or not. People are saved because they have received a savior as payment for sin.

I'm simply telling you what the antichrist/Satan will do to those who do not bow down to him in worship.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by OnionCloud

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

But atheism is ruled by "faith" as well since there is zero absolute proof that God doesn't exist. In fact, it takes greater faith to deny a creator than it does to accept that there is a creator.

Atheists and theists both hold their convictions from their respective "faiths".

Actually, this is false. It doesn't take greater faith to deny a creator, because there is evidence, freely available on the internet, in libraries, and in school. It's very easy to research evolution, the big-bang, and all of the other theories that go against what the Christian belief system, and many other belief systems. The difference is, what we have is real and tangible, not ancient texts translated hundreds of times over millenia that rely on faith, because there is nothing tangible to touch.

The burden lies on believers to prove that god exists since they are claiming something that goes against what is proven. If I say there is a teapot orbiting around the sun that commands all of our lives, who is the one responsible if there is an argument? It's obviously me, because I am making a claim that something exists without evidence.

I hold my convictions to science. If you want to view science as faith, then so be it. However, I am infinitely "faithful" that I will be held to this planet by gravity. I am infinitely "faithful" that electricity will be conducted through this metal wire if I give it a jolt of electricity. I am infinitely "faithful" that light will behave as a particle and as a wave if I measure it differently. Science is not faith, sorry.
I do not agree whatsoever. Harry Potter is a book, is it proof that Harry Potter is real? Absolutely not. All the books about Evolution are written by those who support the claim themselves. There are scores of books that "prove" creation. They are suppressed.

The TRUE facts that should support evolution should be in the fossil record. And the fossil records support creation, not evolution.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I'm simply telling you what the antichrist/Satan will do to those who do not bow down to him in worship.

What, do you know him personally?

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlasteR

Where did you read this? I thought the words crystal and indigo were just labels for children who have recalled past lives, have deeper spiritual knowledge, etc?

I have never heard of anyone indoctrinating their children into becoming indigo children.

I suggest reviewing my posts at the link given in my last post about the crystal/indigo children. If anything, this idea that kids are spiritually advanced is a new-aged fad. If there is some kind of proof that kids today are spiritually evolving compared to kids of the past, I welcome you to present it. I have asked people in the other thread to present it as well but I haven't seen a thing. And there isn't any way to decisively know whether or not kids are somehow more "psychic" than they were hundreds or even thousands of years ago. The entire concept is a sham.

And when I talk about parents indoctrinating their kids into this new-aged way of thinking, I'm talking about crackpots and parents organising events for crystal/indigo children like retreats, trips, camps, and workshops where children are taught all of this new-aged B.S.. There is big money in that market!! Not to mention the money being made from books alone.
These kids are taught that this stuff is all real when there is nothing to suggest or prove that it is.

-ChriS

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

I got you. I know that there are parents who drill their beliefs into their children.

I have been reading books on indigo children. I got the impression that they are labeled that way because of their behavior and recalling their past lives, etc.

I am sure there have been many cases in the past where children have recalled their past lives, but perhaps some people just notice it more and more now since it's more accepted today.

I will read your thread and perhaps participate. Thanks

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

What, do you know him personally?
Are you being difficult on purpose?

One can assume that if I'm talking about a person in scripture, then I'd be talking about what scripture has to say on the matter.

Please don't patronize me, I don't do that to you do I?

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Nobody answered my question unless I missed it?

What happens to atheists if they don't bow down to the antichrist?

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Nobody answered my question unless I missed it?

What happens to atheists if they don't bow down to the antichrist?

The anti Christ will have them killed.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by quaple_pouge

Yes, so will they go to hell?

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19 >>

join