It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exxon/McCain '08

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I think it's about time for the media to shift its attention from Obama to McCain. I know the polls say people are tired of hearing about Obama and I agree. So, let's delve into McCain and see what we find.

The following information can be found on this website. Browse around and see how McCain's ties to Big Oil will effect your future.

Exxon/McCain '08

Hess Corporation—Suspicious donations days after McCain drilling flip-flop

Ten identical donations, all connected to the Hess Corporations, all within days after McCain changed position on drilling.

McCain Has Raised More Than $2.1 Million From The Oil And Gas Industry, Including More Than $1.1 Million In The Month Of June. According to the Center for Responsive Politics, John McCain received $1,039,768 in contributions from the oil and gas industry between January 2007 and May 2008—a figure which dwarfs any other presidential candidates’ oil industry money. In addition, the Washington Post reported that “campaign contributions from oil industry executives to Sen. John McCain rose dramatically in the last half of June, after the senator from Arizona made a high-profile split with environmentalists and reversed his opposition to the federal ban on offshore drilling.”

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I think we should stick to looking at Obama. Why did Obama vote for Dick Cheney's 2005 energy bill that allowed for massive tax breaks to the oil companies which has helped them make their 1,500.00 a second pay days. Obama then slammed that same bill trying to pin it on John McCain.. however.. Obama had i guess quoted himself out of context and then remembered HE was the one who voted for said bill...

Guess who voted against it... John McCain..

We need to keep digging into Obama's past and go through everything he ever said with a fine tooth comb. He needs to go back and teach law in Chicago for another 12 years and NEVER write a single peer reviewed article... he is an empty suite.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
As I thought, people would rather keep the focus on Obama. But please do it in another thread. This one is about McCain and his ties to Big Oil.

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
And?

Oil companies can donate to whomever they wish, and why wouldn't they? Opening up drilling will provide more jobs and business for them, Obamas plan will attempt to put them out of business and send us all back to the stone age!

I think it's high time we quit blaming "big oil" for everything. I'm so sick of that. Come up with something new.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I am sorry BH i respect what you want this thread to be.. i wont post anything more unless I find things on McCain... its just.. i use to support Obama then.. i ended up doing research and i am now left without anyone to vote for lol...

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

John McCain Watch

McCain's oil lobbyists have represented many of the top oil companies - including Exxon, Shell, BP, Chevron Texaco, Occidental Petroleum, Sunoco and the American Petroleum Institute - and have even lobbied for these companies while advising McCain. It's no surprise that McCain's positions on energy policy are ever-more closely aligned with oil and gas corporations.

Senator McCain refuses to support a windfall profits tax on oil companies that would go to American families as rebates to help offset rising energy costs. Instead, McCain is offering a set of policies, from $4 billion in tax breaks for the top five oil companies to a gas tax "holiday" that wouldn't even fill a tank, that will do more for the oil industry than working Americans.
McCain won't be offering anything new on energy policy -- unless you count the steady stream of breaking stories exposing the depth and extent of McCain's ties to the oil and gas industry. For more on McCain's ties to the oil and gas industry click here to see the DNC's new web video "Puppet Masters."

[edit on 7-8-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I love that exxon mccain sticker. I'd put one up in my front yard if they were for sale.

Isnt it funny how easily facts can be ignored in favor of getting the wool pulled over your eyes.

Do people seriously not think there's a reason big oil takes a special interest in john mccain

and that john mccain takes a very special interest in big oil?

They both feed off of each other and make each other rich.

Whats the problem with that?

it comes at our expense!

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
It's you guys who are ignoring the facts.

Quite blaming "big oil" for the problems we are facing right now. As far as I'm concerned, we are having these problems because "big oil" isn't allowed to do more.

You can whine all you want about how these "evil" people are growing richer by the second, but it makes no difference. Why do you think they are getting rich? Because they are providing us a product WE NEED!

Wake up and find a new scapegoat already!

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Who needs a scapegoat?

The price for a barrel of oil is down to $119 dollars, yet my gasoline prices just jumped 20 cents this morning back up to $3.89

So - its not as they've been telling us. The price of a barrel doesn't correlate to the price at the pump, Nearly as much as they were telling us.

I don't need a scapegoat when big oil forgets the lie they told me yesterday and creates a new one today.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
Quite blaming "big oil" for the problems we are facing right now.

Uhh... NO.

Big Oil, and our government's direct complicity with them ARE responsible for much of the oil problems we have, especially around gas prices and foreign dependency.

So, I will blame them for their part, which will continue and grow if McCain is elected.

If you don't like it, continue to cry about it.
But I will not stop placing blame where it is due. On Big Oil and the government.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Lets see.

First it was 9/11
Then it was katrina
then its the price of a barrel
then its speculators
then its the price of a barrel again
then its back to "not enough refineries"
then its the moratorium
then its democrats
now its back to the price of a barrel

Since the price of a barrel is at 119$, its safe to assume that tomorrow, it'll be a different excuse.

Scapegoat? No. Don't need one.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I'm not the one crying.

The only problem I have is with our Congress who refuses to do anything about the problem. My problem is their willingness to go on a months paid vacation while America suffers.

Big Oil is not the problem here, the problem is our government that will not allow us to go after the energy we need.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Perhaps thats more of a regional thing.

The price of oil has indeed gone down. And where I live, it went down another 15 cents today to $3.64. And it has consistently gone down as the price of a barrel has gone down.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I live in bum-*snip*ed nowhere illinois.

Explain to me the significance of price going up 20cents when cost goes down ... 30 dollars.

The highest price we saw here in champaign/urbana was $4.17 when a barrel cost was 140 something

Thats $0.28 more expensive, compared to 30 dollar cheaper cost for the oil companies.

But yeah you're right. They're not corrupt greedy big oil bastards.

That stereotype just invented its self.

[edit on 8/7/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Yeah.

But then again, providing a service and product and making a profit from it is completely un-American isn't it? They should be doing that for free, and giving us everything for nothing shouldn't they?

How dare they make money!

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I am an admitted and avid Obama supporter. I have been for almost 2 years. But I think BH, that if you open the can of worms on McCain (which I wholeheartedly support!) you should expect the McCain(inites?) to come to the defense of their standard bearer.

If however, both politcal side would like to read a bit of the truth with regards to the role of big oil I would suggest reading Kevin Phillips American Theocracy. The book is broken into three major sections, and while one of them (the one on fundamentalist influence) focuses on the Republicans the other two major sections are fairly evenhanded in their approach. Anywho, major section one is about how BOTH sides of the aisle sold their souls to big oil WAAAAAAAY back in the 1800's. So really, this should be a "we the people" v. the corrupting influences of big oil in our government, not "the Dems are more oil soaked" "no the Repubs are." Because when you go fill up your gas tank the station attendent does not give a hoot what party affiliation you have.
On this issue, both houses (D's & R's) are complicit in allowing big oil to hose us.

Obs out

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
You're totally avoiding what i said.

They say that the cost of oil when its high is because of crude oil prices.

when a barrel of oil costs 140 something - my gas was $4.17
when a barrel of oil costs 119 - my gas is only 28 cents cheaper

There's nothing wrong with making a profit, but there is something wrong with price gouging and things of that nature.

The oil companies are corrupt, lying, cheating, stealing, filthy rich bastards who could make the changes we need in this country if they'd only try.

But they won't try.

Why?

There is no money in change, only expense, when you talk about short term.

In the long term, if big oil would invest in some cool new technology that promises to stay around for many decades to come, they could expand their horizons and make MORE money

but thats where the effort part comes in.

big fat greasy filthy rich oil tycoons exerting effort?

why?

All they have to do is raise the price of gasoline and blame it on an ant-hill in africa.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

When the price of oil was $20/bbl the price of gasoline was $1. Now that oil is around $120, wouldn't that make the gas price around $6 / gallon? I think $4 / gallon is cheap. The oil companies made hugh money on their upstream businesses, but they also lost millions on gasoline. By the time gasoline prices catch up to the recently inflated prices of other comodities they will settle out around $6 / gallon.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

BH, I'm doing cross-post quoting now. From another thread you posted in:

Just because another very biased source assumes "A followed B, therefore B caused A" doesn't make it true. Sorry.

The website you've chosen to use as a source for your McCain information is DEMOCRATS.org. You want to talk about biased sources?

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

The Exxon McCain website states facts that it has accumulated from various websites and it lists them for reference. The fact that a website is biased doesn't necessarily mean the information is false.

John McCain's ties to Oil are readily available in many places.

There's nothing inherently wrong with using biased websites, as long as the information is true and not opinions stated as fact.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join