It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a draft would be the best thing for this generation

page: 16
<< 13  14  15   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
instead of a military draft, lets revive militias in states and arm them, with only 1 goal; to defend the homeland; no foreign operations... ?

I 100% agree to this. The OP seems to think that this country is suppose to be a Democracy when it was setup to be a Republic. Big difference. You want to get kids off the darn couch and active in LIFE the way isn't to send them off to war to be killed. First, we would need to establish militias and take back our own government. Our own country is WORTH fighting for. Give the schools back to the local communities and let the teachers really teach these kids again. Get the dollar back to being worth something again (backed by gold or silver) so that we can't have run-away inflation. Prices would drop like a ton of bricks. Then maybe families could have the option of one parent staying home with the kids (more control of our own kids - it's not the governments job to make them grow up or straighten up). Take the corrupt officials of our government (from President down to Congress - maybe as low as State assemblymen) and hang them for treason against the several states of America. Kick out the Fed Reserve and the IRS. That is what American's need a draft for... not a military draft... it needs a Patriot Draft so we can kick some Neocon butt.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
"Now it is time for Americans to do their duty as citizens of the United States. Therefore as citizens we have an established responsibility to our nation. Therefore, I am putting forth the powers entitled under the Selective Service Act as part of National Security. Young men and women between the ages of 18 and 42 are required by law to report to the official administrations upon the recipt of an official letter, authorizing the duty to report for active duty...."
Addressed by some President in the very near future.
MC

I do not believe in war. I do not think any sort of violence should be tolerated initializing any form of war. The world at large cannot afford to have the type of war as WWI or WWII...now it would be disasterous and hundreds of thousands if not millions, billions affected, would be the subject of such a war. We should think where we stand, where the world benifits from our minds..or actions. Peace existing, or extinction? Its our choice! Now vote for your candidate with this in mind. A choice in between! We have to THINK for once for a good choice, not broadened by the conservative masses but for our future progeny..Like a train we can hear it all coming!

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Slothrop

I agree with the person who stated we should bring back the draft. With the drug situation and the me, me, me, that the kids now have, this would be a great wakeup call. Of course the drug dealers and the wealthy will find ways to get out of serving. I am a Disabled Veteran and am very happy that I went in. Serving in the Military opens doors to Government jobs and also the pride you have in yourself that you served your country. I feel a two year inlistment at age eighteen will enable the country to be ready if we have to defend our country. Germany and many other countries are doing this and I feel that it is a good idea !!!

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

ENLISTMENT, spelled it wrong in last posting. Not stupid just tired !!!

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
To : Slothrop

Forcing people to go die? I'm fairly sure that's NOT what this generation or ANY generation needs. There is nothing healthy about Daddy Government commanding you to go be a soldier when you reach the age of 'majority'.

It's well worth noting that a a lot of people in the Army die in peace time.

Whom are you to decide that WE need a wake up call? Perhaps YOU need a wake up call. Go spend a bit of time in some war torn country then do get back with us on your findings. Go spend some time reading stories about people who lost love ones when they were 'state side' doing training.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by LoveKnowledge]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Sleuth

Those basement bloggers and video gamers need some discipline

Before you allow your inner-jock to go calling out the "geeks" of the world

keep in mind that most technological advances you take for granted are invented by those "video gamer" geeks and "computer nerd" geeks.

Discipline?

I think i'll pass on your form of discipline. If i had a drill instructor screaming and spitting in MY face. Throw me in the Brig, because im not doing #

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Heike

Excuse me, but a group of "troubled males" does not represent the entire generation. You seem to have a very simplistic view of the world. Not every young person has been pampered,spoiled, and overprotected. I know several who had parents out injecting drugs and getting drunk at the bar while the kids took care of each other and struggled to survive. Also, respect is not learned or given, it is earned. We owe you nothing. Your generation has given my generation a world full of hate, ignorance, and pollution. Maybe YOU should be out doing community service, and showing some respect to everyone to follow you. What are we supposed to say?

"Hey thanks for damaging the ozone, cutting down the forest, and polluting the air, heck we didn't even like fresh air anyway. Oh and thanks for passing down old racist ignorant attitudes down to a new generation!"

The older generations are the ones with the "me,me,me" issues and it is these same generations passing the blame off onto someone or something else. Take responsibility. If you want war go fight them leave everybody else out of it.

(I group ALL adults together because most of them like to group all of us together.)

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
Slothrop... so it's YOU we have to thank for putting this criminal in the Whitehouse? Good job. So the most patriotic thing you've done is trample the Constitution by proxy and destroy America's reputation internationally. Not to mention our economy at home? Way to go. Let's hope there are few like you out there.

Vietnam was a sham. Like our current wars, it was a war for profit. Period. Stop Communism? Noble lie? What the hell are you on? Since when does the government have a right to lie to its citizens in order to undertake a war at those citizens' expense that they allegedly 'don't understand'? Are you presuming that our 'elected officials' are more intelligent then the rest of us? If you do, look around. The evidence that you are deluded is all around. Wake up!

Vietnam War was to stop the spread of Communism? I heard that story as well. Same playbook that the government is using now on their equally bogus 'War on Terror'. With 'nam it was 'If we don't stop them in Vietnam we'll be fighting them in the streets at home'. Well, news alert, we lost that war some 40yrs ago and I've yet to see the commies attacking us. As a matter of fact, China, the largest communist entity in the world is loaning us obscene amounts of money so Bush et all can 'save us from the terrorists'. What a cruel joke.

You don't get it do you? Most wars are about profiteering. Research the war hero Smedley Butler from WWI. See what he has to say about it. We wage war on a country (expend vast amounts of energy and materiels at taxpayers ' expense) sold by private companies to the war machine. We rebuild the attacked country afterwards (at taxpayers' expense) through US companies that make huge profits. Then we rebuild and re arm the 'new' goverment's military (at huge profits to US companiesl, again at taxpayers' expense).

It amazes me how many people have drunk so much koolaide. If people don't wake up we are all truly screwed .

BRAVO!
best post of the day!
I than you for writing down exactly what I was thinking. I totally agree with you.
I obviously copied that from above cause it spoke to me muahahha!!!!

I star'd ya o this one cause I liked what ya said. well actually i star'd alot of great posts on here. Pfft!! Helped get Bush and his cronies into office guess that makes a great patriot there huh?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by blahblah123

When you make a comment like this."(I group ALL adults together because most of them like to group all of us together.) " This makes you no different then the adults then. If you want to be smarter then the adults, stop following their examples and don`t act like them.

Believe me, I understand where your coming from, I hate the idea of seeing one of my children, or even grandchildren being sent off to the service.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
yes, in countries like holland and switzerland, mandatory military service builds character and discipline. but in a land like the USA where our government is constantly involved in illegal wars it will only breed dissent, depression, ptsd, and other such.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FiatLux

That is exactly the point of my post. It sucks when decent people are grouped in the same categories as "troubled males." The only time I group all adults together was in this post so maybe the person I was replying to can get the message that grouping people isn't the correct way to go about things.

Thanks for reading and understanding where I'm coming from!

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slothrop
i see and hear a lot of paranoia these days about the government instituting another draft. in my mind, a draft would be about the best thing for the current generation of american kids.

ever since vietnam, which was a necessary if unpopular war, american democracy has been debased until it has become no more than a tyranny of the masses. the government is now expected to bow down to popular cowardices and feelings of entitlement. we have welfare and food stamps, but no compulsory service to one's country.

an entire generation of americans is involved in their country in theory only, playing world of warcraft or writing blogs from the safety of basement rooms while the world grows more dangerous day by day.

these people should be made to realize that, in being a patriot and a citizen, something is always at stake. a draft may be the only way.

I agree to an extent with your underlying point, expect that the United States should have no role whatsoever in "safeguarding" an ever increasingly dangerous world, which "grows more dangerous day by day". It's not this government's responsibility, nor is it this military's, and especially not our sons' and daughters'.

Perhaps all eligible men and women should be drafted to University instead? I have a hunch, but it might be more important to include this nation's general population in the study of history, for example, where so few are capable of participating in that scholarly experience because of the vast array of socioeconomic difficulties, which plague this country.

It's a shame that people such as yourself have been given the tools to communicate and worse, advocate your own ideals at all. Those tools include the comfort and livelihood to make such cruel accusations, your apparently easy access to internet and other media sources, and the cynicism, which could only arise out of spoiled adolescence, or traumatically afflicted senior aged citizen.

[edit on 11-9-2008 by cognoscente]

top topics

<< 13  14  15   >>

join