It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

striped lion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   

one day when i was reading about felines indeginous to the south texas area, i found this "club" of exotic pet owners. it listed how many people have which ones.
and there was ligon i think twelve or so people had ligons. and i, thinkin' that i know a fair amount about this sort of stuff, was like what in the hell is a ligon. so i looked at pics of all these crossbreeds for a while. there is all sorts of stuff that can crossbreed. then i started reading about how the aliens had all sorts of half human half this or that like "the island of Dr. moreau". which is a movie i thought was really cool and some of my friends thought was really dumb.

big cat crossbreed pics
members.aol.com...

alright this is good site not really cryptozoolgical but some of these cats are really mysterious and elusive.

like the jaguarundi. these actually live in south texas; i've been to the area but never lucky enough to witness one.
i think it is cool just to see all the different types of wild small cats.
www.bigcatrescue.org...

scroll down almost halfway till you see small cats if you are interested in seeing alot of different types of small wild cats.

[Edited on 15-3-2004 by panchovilla]

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Dont they know stripes and polka dots clash?

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
very interesting, found some of the pictures...how should i put it.....*thinks* a little bit too sexual lol

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I have heard of the Liger and Tigon before but I never knew of the other ones. Very interesting. Thanks for the link.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Whoa. Its kind of like 3 cats in 1. Thats pretty cool. I dont think I would mess with one of those though.

[Edited on 3/14/2004 by TekNo88]

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Please try and say something more about it though, than just providing a link.... Thanks!

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I'll take one of each coat please. And a couple of rugs.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
The markings on the cats shown are pretty unique i like the design on the males coat looks awesome

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
whoa! hello! a little beastiality there! +18 only!

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 01:33 AM
link   

i wouldn't mind haveing one of these. a little more managabe than a siberian tiger/lion mix.

siberian tigers are the biggest felids(non-hybrid) in the world.

www.chausie.net...

[Edited on 4/11/2004 by panchovilla]

[Edited on 4/12/2004 by panchovilla]

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 01:47 AM
link   
If you can breed a LEOPON and a TIGON hahahah now that would be cool
. also the mutated section on that page is cool too.......

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Here are the other links on that website:

members.aol.com...
members.aol.com...

Here is a link to some pretty good liger pictures:

www.lairweb.org.nz...

A Liger

A Zonkey

The images above come from this creationist's website (not into creationism myself).

"A male African lion (Panthera leo) and a female tiger (Panthera tigris) can mate to produce a liger. The reverse cross produces a tigon." What is intersting to note is that a liger grows to be much bigger than a lion or tiger, why you might ask? "Hybrid animals usually display what is known as 'hybrid vigour'. This means the offspring grow much larger and faster than either parent, and it appears that many hybridisations cause gigantism.

Lligers are the largest felid in the world and can stand 12 feet tall on their hind legs.
What is even strange is that tigons are the complete opposite, they grow to a certain size, and they are usually smaller than both a tiger or a lion.

I'm originally from SLC, Utah and we have a zoo there called the "Hogle Zoo." In "1948
Female liger is born May 14. Father a lion, mother a Bengal tiger. Named "Shasta" because 'she hasta' have this and 'she hasta' have that. Shasta died in 1972 of old age. Her taxidermy mount is now exhibited at the Monte L. Bean Life Sciences Museum at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah."
www.hoglezoo.org...

I had not been born in the time that Shasta had lived but I have seen her taxidermy mount. I saw it while it was still displayed at the Hogle Zoo in the early 90s. She was quite large. Of course she wasn't as big as the male above, but for a female, she was large.

Hybrids are a fascinating subject. Its interesting how some hybrids are born sterile and that some are born fertile. Most people will flat out tell you that hybrids are always sterile, but that just isn't true. Mules (a cross between donkeys and horses) have fertile new borns all the time, but, sterile mules still make up the majority. I can't seem to find any info on how many chromosomes lions have, but I have found that "The chromosomes of the tiger are arranged in 19 pairs giving a total of 38 chromosomes altogether."
www.lairweb.org.nz...

Because I can't find out the amount of chromosomes and pairs a lion has, I won't be able to figure out which genes are more dominant. A tiger is naturally bigger than a lion so it is possible that the female tiger's genes are dominant when it comes to a liger. So, it is possible that tigers have more chromosomes than a lion.

But, I do have some Donkey and Horse info:
The mule is a sterile hybrid, yet occasionally a mare mule will be fertile. The difference between the numbers of chromosomes in the cells of the donkey (62 chromosomes; 31 pairs) and the horse (64 chromosomes; 32 pairs) results in a mule or hinny with 63 chromosomes. This odd number is responsible for mule's sterility�the donkey and horse chromosomes are unable to form matched pairs during the early stages of conception, resulting in the death of the reproductive cells.
www.ruralheritage.com...

We were always taught in school that you can't breed with other species because of different chromosomal amounts. Well, I'm beginning to think that this idea was created to keep humans from f'n with their animal brethren, lol. There are so many different hybrids I have read about and seen.

Chromosome number:
Human (46)
Chimpanzee (48)
Chromosome sizes
Chromosomal banding
#2 equivalent to two smaller chimp chromosomes
#4 and #17 different

www.godandscience.org...

Now, the same chromosome number/s in different species may sometimes be very different (as shown above), but I'm sure that is the same way between Horses and Donkeys, Tigers and Lions, Frogs and Toads, etc... yet they can be crossbred.

What is wrong with that picture? I have this feeling that if some human were to bang a primate, I am certain (even if it takes multiple times) that a hybrid will happen - it probably has happened. That "evolutionary" chart that we see might be different human/primate breeds - you know, an orangutan mixture, a gorilla mixture, a chimpanzee mixture, etc... Sometime in our past, regular humans decided to do away with the other crazy things that we created. Hence, that is when it became law in the bible that we can't go f'n with different species. There is no missing link - we probably were a mixture of some type of primate's DNA and alien DNA (if you believe that we are just some big genetic experiment).

Anyways, there is my two cents.

On that note, did any of you know that John Kerry only seems to age? He had a starring role on the Munsters!

join