It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group Protests Treament of Hadrons at CERN

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I propose that experiment is flawed in some way. I would like to see if they ruled out any attraction (electrical or gravitational) of the observing instrument and how.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT
I wonder if they will hear the subatomic particles screaming? Maybe it will be like the best ride at the show…..well…until the collision part any way.

I bet If they imploded YOUR subatomic particles YOU would scream

You realize of course what this means?

If these electrons are sentient... then we have been treating them like slaves all this time making them do hard labor...

We need a campaign... "Free the Electrons" "Free Energy for All"

Cute little buggers aren't they?

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
I hate to ruin the thread, but BBSpot is a famous geek humor site.

Actually I am relieved that people this stupid do not really exist.
Not wanting to make false accusations, but how is it you came to be so familiar wth the site?

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Are these people members of one of those religions that doesn't believe in killing any living thing whatsoever? I'll tell you, if their definition of "life" is so loose that it encompasses hadrons, then they surely must be making plans to travel to Yosemite to protest the fighting of the forrest fires... afterall, on the chain of things that almost meet the criteris for accepted life, fire is right up there at the top so extinguishing fires must be unthinkable to these folks.

PS: I still believe this must be a joke, punchline in article or not.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
What I like best is the togetherness that a smaller Earth will bring to us all. If the Earth was the size of a golf ball we would all be much closer.

Got LHCFacts.org?

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
So can anyone answer the second part of my OP. Is it going ahead? It is due to be turned on in 2 hours. I still cannot get onto the count down site. Must be overloaded with others counting down.

Also, here is your chance for last minute bets. What is going to happen? Will it be a fizzer? Will it create a mini black hole that will dissipate in a second? Will it create a big black hole engulfing the earth and subsequently the solar system? Will John Titor appear from the time warp created?

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
hmmm btw just how well trusted is the theory that the tiny little blackholes will evaporate...cant rememer the name...hawkins radiaton theory or something like that...anyway has it been shown to work?

And yes it being tuned on today but its not *really* turning on for a couple of months...this is just a tester...ie no chance of destroying world..

[edit on 7-8-2008 by Lethil]

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
WTF, as if people would say that now after billions and billions were spend on creating this thing...

They oughtta be the first atoms to be smashed in that particle accelerator... smash those fools into the next galaxy...

IDIOTS!

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I should think we can be fairly sure that this is a spoof on the various groups/people panicing about the LHC. There are so many and they are so diverse. The remarkable thing is how badly informed most of them are. The actual energies involved in most of the experiments - and certainly for the next few months, as documented on the CERN and LHC websites - is way below that experienced by matter during the lifetime of the universe and probably daily in certain suns/black holes/nebulae. I recall someone pointing out that some cosmic rays have higher energies (GeV) than the particles at LHC.

An example of even journalistic weakness was one article that said it was the "Large HC" because it was the biggest accelerator. While it is the newest and biggest I always assumed that its because it will collide Large Hadrons ie. Protons and Lead Nuclei rather than smaller hadrons (eg. electrons). Even the CERN site is a bit vague about where the large comes from - maybe they got fedup explaining hadrons to politicians.

The other weird thing is that the doomsayers and countdown clocks cannot even keep up with the schedules and plans. Even this week's power on will involve only one segment and very low energies as they are just testing their ability to put protons in, steer them 1 segment and absorb them safely. The info seems to be availaible on the various official websites.

There is great info on the CERN and LHC sites including some great calculations. A "full" proton beam will eventually be used with the same energy as a Subaru doing about 1712 kph or a UK aircraft carrier doing 11.7 knots, an American aircraft carrier doing 5.6 knots or 77.4kg TNT. They will be colliding two!

-ScienceJoe, UK

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Has it been turned on yet? I'm still here and able to post.

While I think it will ultimately be determined that conscious awareness is an intrisic part of reality at all levels, always anthropomorphizing that consciousness is in error.

That subatomic particles would require "guidance" or be influenced from higher levels is certainly consistent with occult doctrine on the subject. It's higher law against lower law.

Yes, I know the story is simply humor at this point.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spock Shock
WTF, as if people would say that now after billions and billions were spend on creating this thing...

Just because "billions and billions were spend on creating" something does not make it a good thing

billions and billions were spend on creating Yucca Mountain

billions and billions were spend on creating the War in Iraq

billions and billions were spend on creating atomic bombs just so the boys can blow the crap out of the Nevada desert and some islands in the Pacific...

billions and billions were spend on creating our Government

CERN THE DAY AFTER A 'Mini" Black Hole

Except THIS is the size it will be...

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN "THEY" MAKE A MISCALCULATION

[edit on 7-8-2008 by zorgon]

[edit on 7-8-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Cern did a beam test about 6 hours ago, nothing major though. Proper collisions start in october. That's when if anything could hit the fat it would.

Earlier the site just needed to be refreshed a few times and it worked... pretty nifty little site. Now it seems to be down for good. World wide curiosity killed the cat.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
www.news.com.au...

EUROPEAN particle physics laboratory CERN said today it will start up its massive particle accelerator on September 10 hoping that it could throw light on the origins of the universe.

The so-called Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the greatest experiment in the history of particle physics.

Scientists are banking that it will confirm the existence of a sub-atomic component - the Higgs Boson, known as "the God Particle" - that would fill in the last missing piece of the so-called Standard Model of particle physics.

A gamble costing six billion Swiss francs ($6.62 billion) that has harnessed the labours of more than 2,000 physicists from nearly three dozen countries, the LHC is the biggest, most powerful high-energy particle accelerator ever built.

Beams of hydrogen protons will whizz around at near-light speed in opposite directions until, bent by powerful superconducting magnets, they will smash together in four bus-sized detector chambers, where they will be annihilated at temperatures hotter than the sun.

Hope that helps

Mungo

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

I worked with a bunch of geeks, and they kept sending me links to goofy BBSpot stories.

It's a great site

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der
Earlier the site just needed to be refreshed a few times and it worked... pretty nifty little site. Now it seems to be down for good. World wide curiosity killed the cat.

Which site are you using?

This one works fine for me...

public.web.cern.ch...

Countdown to LHC start-up:
33 days 11 hours 2 min 43 sec

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I had been using lhccountdown.com It was working fine till yesterday.
Thanks for the link. Now we can keep watch for the “real” main event.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Looks like its not just me.
I just noticed this thread
LHCountdown.com has gone down

My best guess is overload of people jumping on. I guees the link Zorgon gave us will probably crash around 9-10 Sept as well for the same reason

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Actually, the founder of this (IMO lunatic) group is wrong about there being a "limited number of hadrons in the universe, so we shouldn't be destroying any". The whole point of "zero-point energy" is that particles are popping into existence all the time from the vacuum of space and then disappearing again.

Again, these types of people are also known as "Luddites" for being against any and all technology. And that whole diatribe about not wanting to even hurt bacteria was really nuts. It's tough enough to try and make sure I don't accidentally hurt the people and animals around me, so if I had to start worrying about the bacteria I can't even see, well, I'd just go nuts. Guess that's already happened with this crew.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   

That's funny. Bacteria and viruses like killing humans for the sake of killing too...You don't see anyone complaining to them about it.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Actually, the founder of this (IMO lunatic) group is wrong about there being a "limited number of hadrons in the universe, so we shouldn't be destroying any". The whole point of "zero-point energy" is that particles are popping into existence all the time from the vacuum of space and then disappearing again.

Again, these types of people are also known as "Luddites" for being against any and all technology. And that whole diatribe about not wanting to even hurt bacteria was really nuts. It's tough enough to try and make sure I don't accidentally hurt the people and animals around me, so if I had to start worrying about the bacteria I can't even see, well, I'd just go nuts. Guess that's already happened with this crew.

How sure are you that he black holes created will evaporate quickly?
I guess not that sure,you are idiotic with your sarcasm my friend,its not that good....infact its the worst ive seen on ATS..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join