It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group Protests Treament of Hadrons at CERN

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Group Protests Treament of Hadrons at CERN

www.bbspot.com

Geneva, Switzerland - As the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) nears completion, many people have worried about the implications of colliding subatomic particles at high velocities. Some have suggested that the device could destroy the Earth by creating black holes or dangerous subatomic particles, but a new group calling themselves People for the Ethical Treatment of Hadrons (PETH) are worried about the health of the subatomic particles.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
You gotta check this one out. People are now concerned for the welfare of Hadrons…..

"You've got these subatomic particles accelerated at great speeds for the sole purpose of being destroyed. No one thinks of the ethical implications of this," said Tia Aumiller who founded the group. "There's a limited supply of hadrons in the universe. Do we just want to go around destroying them? What if we run out? What if the hadrons can feel pain? Will we look back at this hundreds of years from now and regret it? Kinda like we do with the killing of bacteria with antibiotics now."

Some people seem to like protesting for the sake of protesting. What is wrong with these people? Are they for real?…..

Another question. What is happening with the start up. I tried to check the count down, and it says the server is unavailable. It was due to be turned on in around ten hours from now…

www.bbspot.com

[edit on 7/8/2008 by VIKINGANT]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I just re-read the article again looking for a punchline. If you can find one please let me know.
It’s people like this that give tin hatters like us a bad name…..

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I think that their concerns are well intentioned if misguided.

They believe that at least a portion of the universe is being destroyed in the process. If this were true, I would be against it too. No man has the right to knowingly destroy even the most minute portion of the universe.

If there is a creator, that would surely get the creators attention. I would
like to be there for the lightening display when that happens.

However nothing is being destroyed, matter and energy are neither created or destroyed, they change states but are eternal in their sum. It is this fact which would make it the highest crime against nature to upset that balance and destroy the minutest quantity of the universe.

[edit on 6-8-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
God those people are stupid. They are like the Flat Earth people that YES still exist... god some people are freaking retards.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
This is hilarious. I looked to see if this was sourced from The Onion but apparently not. Couldn't be real...please say it's a prank. This is 2008, not 1008, but then apparently from what I've read around here 2008 is the wrong year so one never know. Perhaps a collider event from the future cause outmoded attitudes to appear in the present. I guess the anachron must have been discovered.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT

You gotta check this one out. People are now concerned for the welfare of Hadrons…..

"You've got these subatomic particles accelerated at great speeds for the sole purpose of being destroyed. No one thinks of the ethical implications of this," said Tia Aumiller who founded the group. "There's a limited supply of hadrons in the universe. Do we just want to go around destroying them? What if we run out? What if the hadrons can feel pain? Will we look back at this hundreds of years from now and regret it? Kinda like we do with the killing of bacteria with antibiotics now."

Some people seem to like protesting for the sake of protesting. What is wrong with these people? Are they for real?…..

Another question. What is happening with the start up. I tried to check the count down, and it says the server is unavailable. It was due to be turned on in arounf ten hours from now…

www.bbspot.com

what i'd like to know is who are these people she claims are regretfull of the death of bacteria due to antibiotics? because honestly...those people can stay away from me....far ...far ...away....forever. sometimes i think there are people who are too stupid to live...

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Actually, subatomic particles are indeed conscious. They know when they are being observed by humans. So what really are the implications here?

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

I think you forgot to add the
or the
otherwise, get your self to Switzerland ASAFP. Your missing the protest dude……

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Yeah its just the God botherer's.
Posing as some minority group for the ethical treatment of sub atomic particles.
Because they don't want humans to better understand science.
Because it draws people away from there cults.
And that is bad for business and cash flow.
And there demigod holy leader status.
Save the particles.Save Gods particles.We aren't supposed to touch the particles.
The book we have says so.We don't know who wrote it.But it says NOT to touch the poor little particles.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Thanks Jack,
I’ll watch that when I’m not at work.

I particularly love this quote…

Dozens of people from PETH protested outside the CERN headquarters with signs reading "Don't fark with the quark" and "Subatomic Pain is Still Pain."

Subatomic Pain is Still Pain. WTF?!??!?

I wonder if they will hear the subatomic particles screaming? Maybe it will be like the best ride at the show…..well…until the collision part any way.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
reply to post by VIKINGANT

Do you really want to know...?

Proof of multidimensional molecules that know you're watching...Down the rabbit hole.

The big mistake here is anthropomorphising subatomic particles. They don't think, they don't know anything, they just act in the way they act. Just because that's wierd, and we have trouble relating it to non-quantum life, doesn't mean the electron is concious or making choices of it's own.

Remember, everything is a particle. You want to watch something? Photons of light - particles - stream from the sun, to the object, to your eye/measuring device. An electron microscope exchanges photons for electrons, but otherwise works in the same way.

This is why observing quantum phenomina changes the outcome of the result, not because the electrons are suddenly self-concious and don't feel like being exhibitionists.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Alright. I'm going to go protest the feeling of dirt when i walk on it, and fleas when my dog scratches herself.
I'll get back to y'all later about how it went.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Yeah, while your at it, stop breathing air. your seperating a living family of molecules. Our being alive is too destructive. Does that make sense?

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin

Originally posted by jackinthebox

Do you really want to know...?

Proof of multidimensional molecules that know you're watching...Down the rabbit hole.

The big mistake here is anthropomorphising subatomic particles. They don't think, they don't know anything, they just act in the way they act. Just because that's wierd, and we have trouble relating it to non-quantum life, doesn't mean the electron is concious or making choices of it's own.

Remember, everything is a particle. You want to watch something? Photons of light - particles - stream from the sun, to the object, to your eye/measuring device. An electron microscope exchanges photons for electrons, but otherwise works in the same way.

This is why observing quantum phenomina changes the outcome of the result, not because the electrons are suddenly self-concious and don't feel like being exhibitionists.

You are quite right, they cannot make choices on their own. They rely on us, their protectors to make choices for them! Because they are helpless and need our guidance and protection!

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I hate to ruin the thread, but BBSpot is a famous geek humor site.

Some of their other recent stories:
New Bittorrent Stores Open In Undisclosed Locations
Top 11 Signs Steve Jobs Is Dead
Steve Jobs Names God As Sucessor

And much, much more

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin

So what in your brain makes consciousness?

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Pretty funny stuff if you ask me. I'm gonna have to flag this as a thanks for sharing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join