It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bacon and Eggs - Not My Idea of Breakfast!!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Come to the US and try. I have yet to meet a Brit who isn't offended at the fare offered in his homeland after a visit to the US.

You know what the US has that blows all their minds? Canned biscuits. YES, we don't have to make them from scratch. We get them in a can.

But I do like a few of the candy bars in the UK better. The Mars has the caramel blended into the nougat. I like that better. And the SNickers has more of the caramel flavor in it. As long as you don't try to give me an Aero, we are cool.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

What are the sausages like over there?
Nothing tastes like British sausages. (Probably because of the amount of utter rubbish we put into them but I try not to think of that!)

Yeah we have rubbish in them. The nice thing about living in the States is diversity, we have a ton of deferent types take your pick. and dont forget the hashbrowns mmmm.....

[edit on 6-8-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Hello bft, I have met lot's of Americans but I have never had the pleasure of going to The States.
When I do get to visit I want to go to the "real" US and to avoid the more well known, "touristy" places, (even though I'm certain they would be enjoyable I prefer to see and experience the "day to day", I think it is then possible to get to know and understand things and people better).
Your hospitality is well known and I'm sure that the fare offered up would be more than satisfactory.

Biscuits in a can? Not sure about that, we do get packets of biscuits, I'd love to try them one day.

Not much of a chocolate man myself, I have a savoury tooth but do enjoy the odd bar, strangely enough, Mars bars are my favourite, (but not deep fried which is something of a delicacy in parts of Scotland along with believe it or not deep fried doner kekab and almost anything else!)

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Not kidding. 30 minutes ago.

I fried 3 strips of bacon. I poured out the grease, then I fried 4 eggs it the pan.

Deliciousness.

It's not healthy, it's the American Dream.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Can someone tell me what "black pudding" is?

I live in the southern US and one of my favorite foods for breakfast is grits .
I know alot of people don't like them but I could never live without "grits".
There is another favorite food for breakfast in the south and thats "milk gravy" and "homemade biscuits".

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose
Can someone tell me what "black pudding" is?

I live in the southern US and one of my favorite foods for breakfast is grits .
I know alot of people don't like them but I could never live without "grits".
There is another favorite food for breakfast in the south and thats "milk gravy" and "homemade biscuits".

I remember my first time eating grits, I kept wanting to put milk and sugar in it

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Slayer, I am certain that US regulations prohibit putting in some of the most unsavoury parts of an animals body into sausages for human consumption.
But what the hell, I like them and try not to think about.

With the world getting smaller by the day it is possible to sample the culinary delights of almost any country even in a backwater North East England town like where I live.

However, as stated in my reply to bft, when I do eventually get to visit the US I can't wait to sample homegrown US food.

A friend of mine once toured the US with his band and he has told me that it is possible to get the most unbelievably tasty food at some of the most rundown joints with no customers and then further down the road the same sort of place would serve up what can only be described as slops but the locals absolutely loved it and the place would be packed.

It was my friend and his bandmates and roadies who first told me about Americans eating pancakes with syrup for breakfast, something I just can't imagine me doing! (They are nice once a year, Shrove or Pancake Tuesday, and then as a dessert!)

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I never really had breakfast until i went to England and had a Full English Breakfast like Freeborn listed, holy hell that is incredible. I'm not a breakfast person nor an eating person at all (some say borderline anorexia cause i struggle just to eat once in the day) and i had seconds.

Is marmolet the stuff that has that tagline "you'll either love it or you'll hate it" and it pretty much tastes like soy sauce spread?

And i'm lost with the black pudding too, mine never came with that and i don't know what that is.

As for the history of bacon and eggs, i forget who said it but someone got it i think, the poster who said it was easier for farmers to fatten up a pig and upkeep chickens through winter than to upkeep fresh fruit. That makes sense

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

Black pudding:

en.wikipedia.org...
www.sausagelinks.co.uk...
www.youtube.com...

The youtube video is definately worth watching.

An interesting variant on Black Pudding is, funnily enough, White Pudding:

en.wikipedia.org...

In return, what the hell are "grits" and what on earth is the stuff served up at US roadside cafe's that looks like really runny and sloppy mashed potato?

Edit: Bad spelling due to drooling over Black Pudding and the thought of tomorrow mornings FEB!

[edit on 6/8/08 by Freeborn]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
It was my friend and his bandmates and roadies who first told me about Americans eating pancakes with syrup for breakfast, something I just can't imagine me doing! (They are nice once a year, Shrove or Pancake Tuesday, and then as a dessert!)

Oh yeah
A tall stack of pancakes with butter and maple syrup some bacon and eggs, toast and a nice hot cup of coffee

too bad I'm usually way too busy to eat that way, but 2 or 3 times a month as a treat. other wise I'd balloon out and get fat like most of my countrymen! Sadly most of the time it's cold cereal or a muffin sometimes a bagel and cream cheese

LOL oh yeah and canned buscuits lol you still have to bake them you cant just eat them out of a can.

[edit on 6-8-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by screamo

Is marmolet the stuff that has that tagline "you'll either love it or you'll hate it" and it pretty much tastes like soy sauce spread?

There can be two possible interpretations I think of "marmolet" and they couldn't be more different.

1. Marmite.

en.wikipedia.org...

I really struggle with Marmite, I think it is very similair to the Aussie Vegemite which is being discussed here:
www.belowtopsecret.com...'

2. Marmalade.

en.wikipedia.org...

Marmalade is regularly spread on toast at breakfast time.
I find it a bit sweet for me but do eat occassionally.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
mmm breakfast...

any of those breakfast meats are ok only in moderation, and as long as you allow yourself time to work them off throughout the day - i'd avoid eating any greasy foods before bedtime... that's the surest way to pack on the pounds and clog the artieries!

i'm trying hard to eat healthier, but there's so much junk out there that we're practically forced to buy. in the state of today's economy, we buy mostly generic brands to save money. but when you really think about it, what are generic brand food companies, but just another business trying to make a buck and compete. they make it cheaper, but they sacrifice nutrition. i mean, it's still edible, but what good is it, except to fill our guts. no wonder we feel hungry an hour after we eat these days; our body is craving nutrition.

the FDA is a joke, and the entire food industry has no concern for our health. it really is up to us, as individuals, to eat healthier by all means possible. i'm even considering going vegan, because i've heard about meat lowering your "energy" level. has anyone else heard about this? i'd just like to have my own garden, and grow everything myself. i sure will miss meat, though... lol

and here's some food for thought - chew on this for a while

www.abovetopsecret.com...

he claims he eats sunlight through his eyes!

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Your Mars bars are different than ours. In teh US, Mars is a Snickers with almonds instead of peanuts. I like it better...but the UK version sans almonds isn't so bad.

I was incorrect, and stand corrected. Its "Marmite". Yellow label, black jar, reminds me of a jar of yeast (isn't that what it basically is?). Horrid stuff, unless you need a good fish bait. LOL

If you ever do visit the states, i would be happy to throw a locally grown, USDA certified Prime Ribeye steak on a mesquite grill for you.
I get 1.5 lb USDA Prime Black Angus steaks for about $7 at the local slaughter house. And the mesquite tree grows in my alley (lots of them).

GOD I LOVE TEXAS!

[edit on 6-8-2008 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Wow, never seen/heard of Black Pudding before... BLOOD.... AHHH....

Breakfast is the best meal of the day...

You need something with some kick to it...

In todays world, i think the Average American Breakfast for our Children, is a doghnut, and a soda pop... YUK... that could answer MANY questions about our world...

Now for Breakfast, i have a SPECIALTY sandwhich i make, i inventened it myself...

It Called, The Ultimate Breakfast Sandwhich, or a BFBS(Big F-in Breakfast Sandwhich)

You take 3 peices of Bread, toast 2 of them, cut a hole out of the third, and fry an egg in it

Then, you scramble 2 eggs up, with all the SPecialites added(I add Cream cheese, Ham, onions, and sometimes Bell peppers...

Now, with the Eggs scrabling, you need to either fry up some Ham, or bacon...

so heres how you lay it out after...

With the 2 peices of Toast, put the ham or bacon down, and then the scrambled eggs on top, then you can add whatever Hot-sauce to it, on top of the scrambled eggs, then put the 3rd peice of bread(the one with the EGG frying in it), then put the 2 toasted peices together, with the 3rd in the middle... and BOOM...

You got the BFBS... A messy, delicious sandwhich...

I make this think every once in a while... its legendary...

You need 3-4 eggs
3 frying pans(for best work)(1 for eggs, 1 for the bread with an egg in it, 1 for the ham)
toaster
some cream cheese
some vegtables
some meat (hamm or bacon)
hot sauce

Make this for your friends, and they will LOVE you... this thing beats ANY OTHER breakfast... in messiness, and deliciousness... I guess it would be a bad idea for kids...

Its Messy... the egg, in the middle of the bread should be VERY runny... and the hot sauce, should be plentyful...

ADD a HUGE glass of Orange Jucie, and about 20 napkins...

Thats my idea of a BOMB breakfast, thats a breakfast for a big day, a test, a big date, a sporting event... this isnt a breakfast if your going to sit around all day...

Next, i will go into detail on the Ultimate Breakfast Burrito, of, the BFB... ill let you guess what it means...

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Knowledge
Can anyone explain to me why or even how bacon and eggs became such a popular breakfast food. Personally, I'd rather eat fresh blueberries, apples, a frozen fruit bar, raisin bread, or other healthy fruit-based foods. I mean after all, when I think about bacon and eggs, all I can think of is clogged arterties, quadruple by-pass surgery, digestive disorders, and other other wreaks of havoc on the human body. Can anyone explain to me why they would rather eat bacon and eggs other that they like the taste? I personally believe an answer like that only explains the weak, simplistic state of mind many Americans express on a regular basis, and a direct reflection our mindset/approach to health or lack thereof. Somebody please, humor me!!!!

[edit on 8/6/2008 by Mr Knowledge]

1. Not everyone has the same tastes you do
2. Most people probably don't have bacon and eggs on a regular basis, but instead have it once on the weekend, so ~ 4 times a month.... not bad at all.

3. It tastes awesome, but personally I'd rather have eggs and sausage for breakfast.... with a lot of fruit on the side (strawberry, cantaloupe, etc..) and toast! yum... thats my perfect breakfast. oh i forgot, with orange juice too.

[edit on 8/6/2008 by porky1981]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Bastard ! I just read your post and now I'm slavering like Amy Winehouse gettting in a police van. For f**** sake dude it's five to eleven at night I dropped my 2 last eggs on the floor this evening, and have been trying to avoid bacon so have none.

You utter bastard, I know I wont sleep now and will probably be dragging my kid to tesco 24 at 2 am !

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
What blows my mind is the people who think that their way is the right way or the only way. How sad. Variety is the spice of life!

I like American breakfasts!
I like German breakfasts (fresh baked hard rolls with Nutella or jam, hard-boiled eggs)!
I like English breakfasts! (except the Marmite)
I like Mexican breakfasts!
I'd probably like all sorts of other breakfasts if I had the opportunity to try them.

Haven't y'all ever heard of trying something different?? Adventure is not only about climbing mountains or sailing oceans.

And we can all be grateful that we don't live where the best source of protein are the periodic termite swarms which are occasions for celebrating and feasting.

link   
reply to post by Jenna

Bingo so far you are the one closes to the truth.

Yes this is base on what was available back in the days, but also the eggs and bacon was followed by plenty of buttermilk and stone ground bread.

People usually didn't have anything else to eat as they usually spend most of their time in their fields working.

Late supper was the next meal for them.

So the fat, protein and carbohidrates was well used by the body, today is not so.

link   
Bacon and eggs was a farm staple as both were plentiful on a farm. It just moved out of the farming community from there as new generations wanted to continue experiencing the taste.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join